Dealer installed Nissan orignal equipement backup camera

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ridera

I'm an EE and assumed most everything was already in the car for the backup camera. So, I studied the schematics and noted there was only one AV computer and body wiring harness for all models, etc. It's obvious, the factory simply makes all the bodies the same and then has two different rear hatch assemblies. During final body assembly, they install the appropriate rear hatch. Noting all this, I then talked the dealer into working with me on the project......

The 2013 [and maybe earlier models] SV and SL [and maybe the S] models already have most of parts already in the car. Only the rear hatch wiring harness, camera and little plastic housing for the camera need to be added. The AV computer and everything are good to go as soon as the harnesses and camera are plugged in.

Here are the new parts required and the prices I paid:
28442 Camera Assy $103.20
24051 Harness $37.41
24052 Harness $19.22
90606 Handle Assy $23.50

Dealer charged me 3 hours; but, it was the first one they had ever done and had to learn as they went. The job should take less than 1 hour.

No programming or anything s needed. The zone lines, automatic on when in reverse and everything work perfect.

Al.....

Earlier in the year when the '13 was first delivered there was some discussion on adding the missing camera, since it was standard on previous years and then made optional.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=10107

At first the trick was to identify the wiring in the NAV harness (original How-to here), then was later traced down to find that the wiring is all in place going back to the rear drivers pilar. I just added the camera to mine this past weekend, but used a DVR in the back window that also had an analog video output to splice into the harness to give reverse cam.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=15151

This is better than the $1000 premium package just to get the backup cam. Was was the dealer labor charge for 3 hours?

I have the SL with premium package. A backup camera is better than nothing but the surround camera system is awesome. It was expensive but to me it was worth it.

Thanks for sharing this info!

RePo also hooked up his with a dash-cam

as shown here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=15151&start=30#p343469" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ridera said:
I'm an EE and assumed most everything was already in the car for the backup camera. So, I studied the schematics and noted there was only one AV computer and body wiring harness for all models, etc. It's obvious, the factory simply makes all the bodies the same and then has two different rear hatch assemblies. During final body assembly, they install the appropriate rear hatch. Noting all this, I then talked the dealer into working with me on the project......

The 2013 [and maybe earlier models] SV and SL [and maybe the S] models already have most of parts already in the car. Only the rear hatch wiring harness, camera and little plastic housing for the camera need to be added. The AV computer and everything are good to go as soon as the harnesses and camera are plugged in.

24051 Harness $37.41
24052 Harness $19.22
90606 Handle Assy $23.50

Dealer charged me 3 hours; but, it was the first one they had ever done and had to learn as they went. The job should take less than 1 hour.

No programming or anything s needed. The zone lines, automatic on when in reverse and everything work perfect.

Al.....

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=12617" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is my thread on this with pics if anyone needs them.

ridera said:
24051 Harness $37.41
24052 Harness $19.22
90606 Handle Assy $23.50

Wow, those are great prices on the parts. Where did you purchase them?

Thanks!

I may be looking into this.. When we traded in our 2011 SL Leaf on a 2013 SV a few weeks ago, we were told it would have a backup camera. But they were getting the car from another Dealer so we couldn't see the car before delivery. It turns out it did not have the backup camera after all. $183 isn't too bad for an OEM camera. I am thinking about buying the parts and installing it myself.

The 2014 S has a back up camera as standard equipment. Can the 2013 S be retrofitted with a camera?

stanley said:
The 2014 S has a back up camera as standard equipment. Can the 2013 S be retrofitted with a camera?

ummm did you read any of the previous posts in this thread or click any of the links?

Yes I read them. Non applied directly to the 2013 S model. Now that the 2014 has the back up camera as standard equipment it is possible that the 2013 can easily be modified (retrofited) with additional parts that were installed in the 2014.. If so what are the parts that would be needed? :)

stanley said:
Yes I read them. Non applied directly to the 2013 S model. Now that the 2014 has the back up camera as standard equipment it is possible that the 2013 can easily be modified (retrofited) with additional parts that were installed in the 2014.. If so what are the parts that would be needed? :)
There are at least three different threads here that answer your question specifically and have pictures and part numbers listed.

I didn't see an answer about where the OEM parts were purchased for the prices shown. Its double ($411) when I go to one dealer in my home town but slightly cheaper on the parts site ($390) through a different local dealer. If I read the first post correctly I think they are getting employee discount on parts.

Sorry, I do realize this is an old thread; hoping people still get notifications. :)

adric22 said:
I may be looking into this.. When we traded in our 2011 SL Leaf on a 2013 SV a few weeks ago, we were told it would have a backup camera. But they were getting the car from another Dealer so we couldn't see the car before delivery. It turns out it did not have the backup camera after all. $183 isn't too bad for an OEM camera. I am thinking about buying the parts and installing it myself.

Did the dealer tell you that is was the "stripped" version of the SV, with no options? Because that's what you got.

Back