ampitupco
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2012
Leaf Number: 17235

Re: Bought an HD Dash Cam for my LEAF - Check it out here...

Wed May 13, 2015 9:18 am

If you're on the fence about a dash cam - there is another way. Use an old smartphone with a dash cam app. I do and, frankly, the results are great! Plus, when I'm at home I can "upload" the videos I want to keep to my network without leaving the car.

Smartphone Dash Cam

If you are already running LeafSpy, you can kill two birds with one stone with some creative wire routing (Maybe - I use a LeafDD).
ampitupco
2015 LEAF SV
2012 LEAF SL: 33000 miles 229 GID / 55.7Ahr (10/2015) [SOLD]
LEAF Energy iOS app
Nissan LEAFs For Sale
Denver LEAF Owners

Lasareath
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2013
Leaf Number: 404190

Fri May 15, 2015 9:34 pm

Today I finally installed my New Spy Tech K1S Dual Camera Dash-Cam, one camera up front and one in the back. The DVR that comes with it is 3/4 the size of the cigarette pack.

I ran all the wires by hand, I did not need any tools, the smushed and smeared the cables under all the moldings at the edges the the windshield and door trim. On the back hatch there is flexible rubber tube that some wires for the rear brake light and rear windshield wiper fluid runs through and I ran the rear camera wire through that. Very nice and clean job that took around two hours.

The DVR has a little adhesive backed push button (looks like a door bell button) that you can hide away out of sight but not out of reach. When something happens that you want to capture. Like a Lamborghini driving by or a Hot chick you can click this button and the camera takes a one minute video snapshot and it saves that file in a folder that will not get overridden.

With a 64GB memory card I can store 24 hours of video. After the 24 hours the oldest file will be replaced. The DVR records in 1 minute files for two reasons, When it overwrites files it will do so in 1 minute increments and when you need to email somebody a file the file size is not too large because it's only a minute long.

Here is a Video review:

http://www.spytecinc.com/k1s-1080p-dual ... amera.html
Are you running into a lot of EV HOLES or ICEHOLES ?

Teach new EV owners about EV Etiquette with my Windshield Notes / Notices I sell on Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/evEtiquette?

Lasareath
Gold Member

Sat May 16, 2015 8:23 am

Some pics:

Teach new EV owners about EV Etiquette with my Windshield Notes / Notices I sell on Etsy:

Lasareath
Gold Member

Wed May 20, 2015 7:44 pm

Here's a 10 minute Video taken from the rear camera of me going to work, from Dunkin Donuts to Route 22 in Newark. At around 7 minutes you can see a #BMW that tries to pass me but cannot! LOL

lion
Delivery Date: 22 May 2013

Tue May 26, 2015 6:12 am

It's an interesting camera for sure, but I'm still on the fence for 2 reasons:

lack of pre-buffering in parking mode, and the fact that it's so new.

I'm thinking of getting this for my wife's SUV as she really wants some sort of backup camera for backing into the garage, and would like to replace my aging BlackVue.

Do you think the LCD is good enough for that?

KillaWhat
Delivery Date: 15 Mar 2012

Tue May 26, 2015 9:42 am

Here is the little unit I installed about a year ago.

True HD, 32 Gb Card installed.

Can't even see it tucked behind the mirror.
Yes, pre-buffering would be nice, but it's installed and working. :shock:

Black SL Delivered 3/14/2012
7.2Kw Charging w/Brusa
Leather Interior
Rosewood Dash
JUKE 17" Wheel Upgrade w/225-45-17 Michelin MXM4 Tires
Horn Upgrade
Infinity 63.9i Speaker Upgrade
WattsLeft Meter System
LED High Beams
Carkit NAV Override

DuncanCunningham
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 15 Apr 2015

Tue May 26, 2015 9:59 am

Lasareath wrote:Here's a 10 minute Video taken from the rear camera of me going to work, from Dunkin Donuts to Route 22 in Newark. At around 7 minutes you can see a #BMW that tries to pass me but cannot! LOL

Be careful recording and sharing that stuff. I live in Utah were we have no crime to speak of really so city cops here (except the Salt Lake Valley) are the world's most bored police force. If i did those moves and shared I've expected to be arrested at work and locked up. I get tickets for, get this, parking more than 12 inches from the curb. Two cars I had to move around made that hard to get closer to the crub and when they left I was a target for a donut filled bored city cop.

I got pulled over for a bumper that "didn't look right" on a 1979 truck. In the end I found a previous owner removed some plates from it. Costs me the ticket and $250 to replace it but in the end it was just the same dimensions. Got pulled over for "running a stop sign" in a parking lot, but there was no stop sign and he said that I took off very fast from the junction. I was in a 1971 VW camper bus with a 1600 engine, the vehicle can barely get out of it's OWN way never mind go fast. I so wanted him to give me a ticket so the Judge and I could laugh at it together once he saw the vehicle pictures. I think the cop just wanted to see if I had any weed in the bus, sorry mate, I'm too square for that stuff, get your weed some other place.

I got pulled over again when i flashed a car that had it's brights on. he never dropped his lights and the car flipped a U-turn and it was a cop car. Told me off for flashing a car because it was unsafe, admitted he had his brights on but he was cop and I should know my place. (I could barely see anything in front of me for his lights) You can imagine that I'm losing respect for law enforcement here in Utah. I come from England where our police force is highly respected and for good reason.
Statler: Wake up you old fool. You slept through the show.
Waldorf: Who's a fool? You watched it.

2015 Leaf S (leased until May 2018, Bought out in Jan 2017)
2012 Leaf SL (purchased May 2015)

lion
Delivery Date: 22 May 2013

Wed May 27, 2015 9:26 am

KillaWhat wrote:Here is the little unit I installed about a year ago.

You need to plug the USB cable into the other USB port, or the GPS receiver won't be powered (I have a 0803). It sucks for cable management purposes, but there's no point in paying for that GPS feature if you aren't going to use it ;)

KillaWhat
Delivery Date: 15 Mar 2012

Wed May 27, 2015 1:45 pm

lion wrote:

You need to plug the USB cable into the other USB port, or the GPS receiver won't be powered (I have a 0803). It sucks for cable management purposes, but there's no point in paying for that GPS feature if you aren't going to use it ;)

Ill give that a try, Thanks
Black SL Delivered 3/14/2012
7.2Kw Charging w/Brusa
Leather Interior
Rosewood Dash
JUKE 17" Wheel Upgrade w/225-45-17 Michelin MXM4 Tires
Horn Upgrade
Infinity 63.9i Speaker Upgrade
WattsLeft Meter System
LED High Beams
Carkit NAV Override

Lasareath
Gold Member

Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:57 am

That's the one I installed when I started this Post at the end of 2013, I wanted one that recorded the rear window too.

A second unit just arrived in the mail, I'm going to install it on the sides of the LEAF, on those little skinny un-movable windows on the rear doors looking out to the sides of the LEAF.

This way I will have 4 recordings, all four sides of the LEAF. Should be pretty cool!, I just need to figure out where I will hide the DVR..

The last time I took apart the center console arm-rest I noticed there is around 4" of unused space below the armrest, I think I am going to cut out the bottom of the storage space in the armrest and utilize that unused space!

Return to “Accessories / Mods”