Miss Auto Dimming RV Mirror + HIDs in my 2013 Leaf S ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atlbrown

Hello All!

Just picked up a silver 2013 Leaf S with QC. Coming from a BMW 09 5 series.
Terrific car...however..just miss a couple of things (which i searched here...didn't find anything)

Can i add something like a universal auto dimming rear view mirror in the S?
Can i add HIDs in the low beams (35w ballast...has anyone done this?)
I know there is a auto on/off circuitry for the headlights that can be added-on ..anyone done this?

Yes yes..i know...i shouldve gotten the SV but i really dont regret getting the S...just missing a couple of gotta have things...

Thanks!

thanks...brilliant idea...that might solve the occasional glare issue i was getting on my drive back home today!

though..would like still like to know about the options....specially for adding HIDs in lows..

Interesting idea. Does the S use a single halogen bulb for high and low, or split the function like the SV and SL? My guess would be split, just to avoid re-designing the entire reflector. I'm with atlbrown here; nothing compares to good HID headlights. The SV and SL LED low beam is adequate, but nothing like HID.

As Mike suggested, I had a fairly low transmission tint applied to back window, and haven't felt the need to dim the RVM since.

-Karl

Gentex makes auto-dimming rear view mirrors, with and without Homelink and/or rear cameras. I suspect that they are the OEM supplier for Nissan and many other car manufacturers when it comes to these mirrors.

Amazon sells them, put "Gentex mirror" in their search field as they have several models. I had one on my Altima and it worked great. It even came with the plastic piece to hide the wiring as it runs along the windshield.

mwalsh said:
^ Interesting. Makes me want to swap my stock mirror out to one with more features. Compass and backlit buttons would both be nice!

Yeah I would like to put one with Homelink on it, but I'm leasing and don't want to go through that much bother for a car I'll only keep for another 2 years or so. In the meantime I just velcro'ed my Genie remote to the dash :lol:

only thing with putting a gentex or any auto dimming mirror is ..you would need a 12v wire to power it up coming from the headliner...something i probably dont wanna do or spend on ...i have a 2 yr lease...but that tint idea wins so far...i had all my cars tinted and its a big step in reducing glare and controlling climate

now..anyone...with info on installing after market HIDs....those would be my first priority...

thx

atlbrown said:
only thing with putting a gentex or any auto dimming mirror is ..you would need a 12v wire to power it up coming from the headliner.

Mine already has the Nissan version of the Gentex in. So my hope would be than any necessary wiring would already be there. I wonder how many cents per unit Nissan saved by getting the non-backlit version vs. the backlit one?

I'm glad you like the tinting idea. I think it's the easiest solution for you.

atlbrown said:
only thing with putting a gentex or any auto dimming mirror is ..you would need a 12v wire to power it up coming from the headliner...something i probably dont wanna do or spend on ...i have a 2 yr lease

It's not that difficult to do, but if you're leasing for only 2 years I don't blame you for not wanting to go through that much trouble.

I'm heavily considering getting a Gentex 453 mirror with homelink, compass and autodim. My 2015 Leaf S has a regular mirror, but I have a suspicion that Nissan just hid the wires in the headliner. Does the overhead sunglass holder just pop out? Held in by clips and pulls straight down? Can someone confirm?

Yes, it pops out, do a search for 'dashcam' on the forums here, some folks posted pictures showing how to power the dashcam using the mirror wiring harness. If you can't find it, post again, and I'll check my pic archives (have a folder full of LEAF pics for DIY project purposes).

kubel said:
Since tinting my rear window, I haven't found the auto dimming rear view mirror to be of any benefit.
Probably true, I would be doing it for the compass and homelink mostly. Didn't expect autodim to work with tints.

Back