Lasareath
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2013
Leaf Number: 404190

Re: Review - EVSE Angled J1772 Wall Mount Dummy Inlet

Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:00 pm

I like that little door. Very Good idea.

I like this one as well: http://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-541-2 ... sbs_auto_4

I did think about putting something similar through my house or garage door but I decided that under the door was the easiest for my location.

The only reason I bought this dummy inlet is because I didn't want the handle sitting in the snow this winter. All summer it has been sitting on the ground with no issues.

happyZEVer wrote:This is not a beautiful solution but works for me--I had the electrician put in two of these RV hatches (one on inside wall, one on outside wall) so there's a little locking door with a notch cut out for the charger cable in my garage. The notch is the perfect size for the cable on my AV charger. The locks on the hatches are by no means sturdy, so they're in a part of my wall that isn't near a door handle or anything valuable. Even if an intruder busted it open, they'd be able to stick their arm inside and nothing else. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0021W9R68/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you were a handy sort of person, you could probably fabricate a cute little door with the same features.

I park inside the garage when I can, but my husband uses the space for projects so I wanted flexibility. We have a rat problem in our neighborhood (avocado trees), so I didn't want to just pass the cable under the garage door with any kind of gap.

I have been looking for a dummy inlet like this, so thanks for the info.
Do you know the EV RULES?

Learn them today by clicking here: http://EV-RULES.com

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:47 pm

As per the size of the photos, thanks for the tips but I have posted 1000's of photos on the web over the past 20 years. These photos have already been resized before uploading them to my own FTP server. The pictures have been resized to 1000 pixels on one side. The original size is around 3000 to 3500 pixels, so the images are 3 to 3.5X smaller than what comes out of my iPhone.

Not to belabor the point, but this topic takes along time to load, and the posts keep jumping around as the photos 'fill in'. It's a shame we don't have a way to "hide" posts like with Motet.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

Lasareath
Gold Member

Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:14 am

You need to get a modern internet connection. Dial-up and DSL are so 1994. You need Fios or Cable. My Cable connection downloads at 50Mbps

LeftieBiker wrote:
As per the size of the photos, thanks for the tips but I have posted 1000's of photos on the web over the past 20 years. These photos have already been resized before uploading them to my own FTP server. The pictures have been resized to 1000 pixels on one side. The original size is around 3000 to 3500 pixels, so the images are 3 to 3.5X smaller than what comes out of my iPhone.

Not to belabor the point, but this topic takes along time to load, and the posts keep jumping around as the photos 'fill in'. It's a shame we don't have a way to "hide" posts like with Motet.

LeftieBiker

Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:55 pm

You need to get a modern internet connection. Dial-up and DSL are so 1994. You need Fios or Cable. My Cable connection downloads at 50Mbps

What a ridiculous, elitist thing to write. Those photos could have been 1/10th the size you posted and been just as informative. I guess I'll just filter you when you post giant pictures of modest objects. That will fix the page load issue.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

pkulak
Delivery Date: 18 Sep 2013

Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:16 pm

Alright, got mine today! I got the one with the hood. Very handy for keeping the cable off the ground:

It's pretty cool. I've never seen anything 3D printed before. You can actually see every single layer in the edges. Amazing. Only problem is that it doesn't snap into place. The connector seems to stop about a quarter inch from all the way in, and that's enough to never let the little hook actually fall down into the locking groove:

Not a big problem though. Friction seems to holding it in just fine. It would be nice if it locked though.

Also, the screws came with it are literally the most obscure fastening devices I've ever seen, and I'm 32 years old. They look like hex screws, but there are only 4 sides. I did have some phillips screws lying around that worked though, so no problem there either.

LeftieBiker

Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:13 pm

It looks like you have concrete under it. If so, I would definitely find a way to lock it in place. That was my big concern with these things - the plug dropping to the hard, hard apron.

Lasareath
Gold Member

Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:12 pm

Looks very nice!

On mine the lock is very snug but you can use your thumb to press it down and lock it in because there is no hood in the way.

Those screws are square drive or Robertson http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives

You'll find them on a lot of electrical devices such as circuit breakers because the screw holds on for dear life and won't fall off and cause a short on a live circuit.

I have a couple sets of bits with them so it was a piece of cake to screw in.

Here's a video showing how they hold: http://johnmacnab.hubpages.com/video/Ro ... the-Planet

pkulak wrote:Alright, got mine today! I got the one with the hood. Very handy for keeping the cable off the ground:

It's pretty cool. I've never seen anything 3D printed before. You can actually see every single layer in the edges. Amazing. Only problem is that it doesn't snap into place. The connector seems to stop about a quarter inch from all the way in, and that's enough to never let the little hook actually fall down into the locking groove:

Not a big problem though. Friction seems to holding it in just fine. It would be nice if it locked though.

Also, the screws came with it are literally the most obscure fastening devices I've ever seen, and I'm 32 years old. They look like hex screws, but there are only 4 sides. I did have some phillips screws lying around that worked though, so no problem there either.

Lasareath
Gold Member

Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:37 pm

Here you go, I made these just for you. 1/10 of the size. In the future I'll make two Threads per topic. One will have "- Low Res" at the end. That'll be for all the 800x600 dial up people.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

LeftieBiker wrote: What a ridiculous, elitist thing to write. Those photos could have been 1/10th the size you posted and been just as informative. I guess I'll just filter you when you post giant pictures of modest objects. That will fix the page load issue.

GlennD
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 20 Jul 2013
Leaf Number: 410357

Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:43 pm

pkulak wrote:Alright, got mine today! I got the one with the hood. Very handy for keeping the cable off the ground:

Look for extra plastic. On the holders with latch there has been a slight amount of dross in the latch area since the printer really does not like unsupported runs. An exacto knife cleans it right up.
2012 Cayenne Red SL traded for:
2013 Pearl White SL Premium
Traded for a Cirrus White 2014 Mercedes B (totaled)
2016 Urano Gray eGolf SEL w/ drive assist

pkulak
Delivery Date: 18 Sep 2013

Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:27 pm

GlennD wrote:Look for extra plastic. On the holders with latch there has been a slight amount of dross in the latch area since the printer really does not like unsupported runs. An exacto knife cleans it right up.

Yeah, that would probably do it, but I can't get any kind of tool up under that hood. The one without the hood is probably a better idea just because you can clean up any issues there may be.

Return to “Accessories / Mods”