Lasareath
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2013
Leaf Number: 404190

Review - EVSE Angled J1772 Wall Mount Dummy Inlet

Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:05 pm

Hello All,

Last week I bought a Angled J1772 Female wall mount so that I can keep my EVSE charging cable off the ground.

I bought the unit from this site: http://erroneus.myevblog.com/buy-plastic-parts-here/

This thread contains more info: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=11868&start=30#p336985

This is the MNL Member I bought the Dummy Inlet from: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=3642

It's a nice sturdy product with a notch so that the J1772 connector clips on and does not fall out.

The only suggestion I would make is that he add White as an option.

My goal was to camouflage my EVSE Cord so that when you are driving by my house it mixes in with the color of my garage. My garage is white and so I bought white duct tape to cover the black cord. From the street the only thing that still stands out is the Gray Dummy Inlet. I might paint it.

Here's some pics of my Install:

Lasareath

Review - EVSE Angled J1772 Wall Mount Dummy Inlet
Do you know the EV RULES?

Learn them today by clicking here: http://EV-RULES.com

pkulak
Delivery Date: 18 Sep 2013

Re: Review - EVSE Angled J1772 Wall Mount Dummy Inlet

Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:18 pm

Thanks for the review! I ordered one as well, about a week and a half ago, but it hasn't shown up yet. Customs can really back things up.

EDIT: I wonder why he went to the trouble of building out all the port holes in the middle? Seems like just the outer circle would have worked as well. Maybe it adds strength though.

Lasareath
Gold Member

Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:33 pm

Yea I guess strength and maybe it holds onto the J1772 better. I was thinking I'd like a light in the center :)

pkulak wrote:Thanks for the review! I ordered one as well, about a week and a half ago, but it hasn't shown up yet. Customs can really back things up.

EDIT: I wonder why he went to the trouble of building out all the port holes in the middle? Seems like just the outer circle would have worked as well. Maybe it adds strength though.

Smidge204

Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:42 pm

pkulak wrote:EDIT: I wonder why he went to the trouble of building out all the port holes in the middle? Seems like just the outer circle would have worked as well. Maybe it adds strength though.

It's 3D printed so there's very little extra effort to add those. :P

=Smidge=

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:54 pm

Is your garage door pressing on the cable? If so, bad idea! I used 2x4 with a gap to keep it above the cable until I got my outdoor EVSE installed.The holder looks good, although I'd be worried about the plastic wearing and the retainer notch failing. How tough does the plastic seem?
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

Lasareath
Gold Member

Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:09 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:Is your garage door pressing on the cable? If so, bad idea!

It is not pressing on the cable, Please see this post of how I made sure it does not:

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/c ... nt_1921410

LeftieBiker wrote:How tough does the plastic seem?

Not sure. seems rigid. it's granular just like all 3D printed items. The screw holes held up to my Makita screw-gun just fine.
Last edited by Lasareath on Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

jclemens
Delivery Date: 02 Nov 2011
Leaf Number: 003748

Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:13 pm

Thanks for creating this thread Sal. I noticed that the grey plastic is a very close match to your grey siding, looks good! I don't think you need to paint it.

pkulak wrote:Thanks for the review! I ordered one as well, about a week and a half ago, but it hasn't shown up yet. Customs can really back things up.

Paul, Sal is on the East coast, pretty close to me, you should get your package any day now.

I wonder why he went to the trouble of building out all the port holes in the middle? Seems like just the outer circle would have worked as well. Maybe it adds strength though.

Originally I wanted to create something that could potentially be used for testing the electrical connections, so I need something that would house the pins. That project was put aside, but in the mean-while I uploaded my original file to the thingiverse to share. It was quite a bit of effort and I failed more than once. I like the holes there because you know intuitively that this is a match for the inlet that is on your car. It may not be so obvious if it was just one big hole. They do add some strength, but that is not their intended purpose.

I have no plans on adding a light, that is why I have glow-in-the-dark available ;)

LeftieBiker wrote:How tough does the plastic seem?

PLA plastic is very rigid, and I have seen it scratch other plastics. I think it should last a very long time in temperate climates. We just have to remember, it is not metal. Pulling on the cable, such as playing jump-rope, tripping on it, or hanging yourself will probably break the plastic... likely near the screws before the latch.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:37 pm

I was going to notch my door instead, and keep the piece of wood. I guess concrete isn't that hard to repair, either.

A general request to people posting photos: if you use a free service like Photobucket, you can post clickable thumbnail images: you just click on the image for a bigger one. Failing that, reducing the photo size with an editing program will let the page load reasonably fast...
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

Lasareath
Gold Member

Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:07 pm

The problem with the piece of wood is that my garage has a sensor that will retract the door if it closes on something.

If you time it just right and the door sits open by a couple of inches then my cats can get out (their litter boxes are in the garage)

If you didn't have cats then the problem I have is that (and I tested this) on my door if it does not close all the way down and you insert something under the door and click the down button the door will hit the object and the safety feature will trigger and the door will retract all the way up.

Nice and easy for thieves to enter the garage and steal my (2) $2500.00 StreetStriders and $10,000.00 in tools.

The notch in the concrete is a much better way to do it.

As per the size of the photos, thanks for the tips but I have posted 1000's of photos on the web over the past 20 years. These photos have already been resized before uploading them to my own FTP server. The pictures have been resized to 1000 pixels on one side. The original size is around 3000 to 3500 pixels, so the images are 3 to 3.5X smaller than what comes out of my iPhone.

I use an App named FTPonTheGo to upload the my photos directly from my iPhone to one of my servers depending on the topic of the photo.
http://ftponthego.com/

Sal

LeftieBiker wrote:I was going to notch my door instead, and keep the piece of wood. I guess concrete isn't that hard to repair, either.

A general request to people posting photos: if you use a free service like Photobucket, you can post clickable thumbnail images: you just click on the image for a bigger one. Failing that, reducing the photo size with an editing program will let the page load reasonably fast...

happyZEVer
Delivery Date: 18 Jun 2013
Leaf Number: 403862

Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:46 pm

This is not a beautiful solution but works for me--I had the electrician put in two of these RV hatches (one on inside wall, one on outside wall) so there's a little locking door with a notch cut out for the charger cable in my garage. The notch is the perfect size for the cable on my AV charger. The locks on the hatches are by no means sturdy, so they're in a part of my wall that isn't near a door handle or anything valuable. Even if an intruder busted it open, they'd be able to stick their arm inside and nothing else. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0021W9R68/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you were a handy sort of person, you could probably fabricate a cute little door with the same features.

I park inside the garage when I can, but my husband uses the space for projects so I wanted flexibility. We have a rat problem in our neighborhood (avocado trees), so I didn't want to just pass the cable under the garage door with any kind of gap.

I have been looking for a dummy inlet like this, so thanks for the info.

Return to “Accessories / Mods”