HID light (low/high beams) in a 2013 S

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rdizzle

I just picked up the base 2013 S for my wife (bare bones, no QC package, no LED lights) and I want to replace the halogen high/low beams with HIDs. Has anyone done this yet? I only saw people putting HIDs in the fogs (I don't have that option either :D ) but didn't see anyone who actually installed HIDs in the H13 headlights.

Per my calculations, 35w HIDs should be more efficient than the 55w/60w (low/high beam) halogens (2.7 amp draw vs. 4.2/4.6 amp draw) but light output increases by 3x. I wanted to install LED bulbs but those aren't ready for prime time yet (dim and good for DRLs only).

Wondering if there are any gotchas I should know about before pulling the trigger.

Rdizzle said:
I wanted to install LED bulbs but those aren't ready for prime time yet (dim and good for DRLs only)

Oh really? My '12 SL with LED low beams disagrees. ;)

HID's have a different beam pattern and are strongly not recommended for traditional reflective housings typically used for halogens. Often the beam pattern is way messed up after the conversion and you end up blinding oncoming drivers. It's also illegal.

You might be able to get a set of LED housings from a '11 or '12 in a junkyard but I have no idea if the connections to the LED driver would be similar.

JeremyW said:
Rdizzle said:
I wanted to install LED bulbs but those aren't ready for prime time yet (dim and good for DRLs only)

You can't buy the type of LEDs that are OEM on the Leaf in the aftermarket so he is essentially correct... There is nothing currently available.

As far as Hids, I'd be very leery about melting the cheapo Leaf reflector...

JeremyW said:

What I mean are the aftermarket LED H13 replacement bulbs are dim. The lighting assemblies direct from the OEMs are nice and bright!

JeremyW said:
HID's have a different beam pattern and are strongly not recommended for traditional reflective housings typically used for halogens. Often the beam pattern is way messed up after the conversion and you end up blinding oncoming drivers. It's also illegal.

You might be able to get a set of LED housings from a '11 or '12 in a junkyard but I have no idea if the connections to the LED driver would be similar.

I looked into used LED assemblies and they're pretty pricey. I think I'm going to try the HID conversion and see how that goes. I may need to re-aim the headlights afterwards so I don't piss off other drivers. :mrgreen:

Rdizzle said:
JeremyW said:

What I mean are the aftermarket LED H13 replacement bulbs are dim. The lighting assemblies direct from the OEMs are nice and bright!

JeremyW said:

I looked into used LED assemblies and they're pretty pricey. I think I'm going to try the HID conversion and see how that goes. I may need to re-aim the headlights afterwards so I don't piss off other drivers. :mrgreen:

rdizzle...did you get it done? Any pros/cons or is it even possible? i do know the newer cars have all the electrical running through CANBUS (the communication link for all electronics) so have to be very careful not tripping any CANBUS warnings etc

I have a 2012 with LED which are excellent lights. BUT... mine ice up here in the winter do to low heat. If you were to want to swap lights (we would have to research this) I would trade you strait across. PM me if you want to discuss it.

Back