Anyone add a 3ed party backup camera that they liked?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregG

Just leased the 2013 SV and sad about the lack of backup camera. I'm not looking to tie it into my existing screen and am ok with an additional screen. It is a lease so would like to be able to take it with me afterward and don't want to muck with the guts of the car. Just looking to see if anyone found one they liked. Did a search and discussion was more about connecting to the existing screen but looking to keep it simple.

-Greg

I did.

4.3'' Color TFT Car Monitor Support 480 x 272 Resolution + Car/Automobile Rear-view System Mirror Display Monitor
by SecurityIng

Pyle PLCM18BC License Plate Mount Rearview Backup Color Camera with Distance Scale Line (Zinc Black Chrome)

Both are available from Amazon (described exactly as above).

It works OK, although if I had it to do over, I would probably try to find a larger and brighter display. The camera is fine.

I did a "lazy" install myself. By that I mean I did not try to completely hide the wiring, other than just running it under the carpets. I also did not interconnect the power with the brake lights, so it is always powered up when the car is on.

Very cool! How did you power the camera? Did you have to make a hole to get the camera wire inside the car?

I powered both the display and the camera from the power outlet on the dash. I had to drill a hole on the trunk side of the hollow frame that houses the license plate lamp wiring grommet (a large rubber flap to the right of the license plate). Use care, as you do not want to drill into other wires that may be present in the hollow frame. I then fished the cable and connectors through the license plate wiring grommet and then through the hole I had drilled. By the way, to get to the hollow frame I had to remove the center, rear trunk liner panel. After removing the two pop out fasteners that attach the elastic baggage net, this panel can be removed vertically upward. Do not try to pry the hidden lower and middle fasteners horizontally outward from the rear wall of the trunk, or you will damage the fasteners. (I speak from experience here.) The fasteners on the top of the liner panel are pop out fasteners and can be safely pried out with a wide putty knife or similar tool. Note that my LEAF is a 2012 SV. YMMV.

FLBoy said:
I powered both the display and the camera from the power outlet on the dash. I had to drill a hole on the trunk side of the hollow frame that houses the license plate lamp wiring grommet (a large rubber flap to the right of the license plate). Use care, as you do not want to drill into other wires that may be present in the hollow frame. I then fished the cable and connectors through the license plate wiring grommet and then through the hole I had drilled. By the way, to get to the hollow frame I had to remove the center, rear trunk liner panel. After removing the two pop out fasteners that attach the elastic baggage net, this panel can be removed vertically upward. Do not try to pry the hidden lower and middle fasteners horizontally outward from the rear wall of the trunk, or you will damage the fasteners. (I speak from experience here.) The fasteners on the top of the liner panel are pop out fasteners and can be safely pried out with a wide putty knife or similar tool. Note that my LEAF is a 2012 SV. YMMV.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have a 2012 SV too and can't seem to find anyone talking about it. It's all about the 2013 models. Did you investigate whether its possible to easily tap into the factory head unit? If its not easy, then I'll just follow your route and get another screen.

Back