Pimp your Leaf (Nismo style)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boomer23 said:
I'd love that chip to spark up the acceleration of my 2013, but not for $1400.
Really thirsty for more details on this one.. Is it new hardware or just a software upgrade? If software, is it code or just parameters? If parameters then are they things that can be set with the Consult tool... And of course if it's something that can be set with the Consult tool then... well, you know. :twisted:

Knowing that 18" can fit is cool ... might as well wait for the Infinity and have the package already in that ... lower suspension ... bigger wheels etc ... same platform. LOL ...

mwalsh said:
I barely have enough range now, never mind with enhanced performance!
In addition to improving performance, it also claims to improve efficiency when in ECO mode - I suspect it also increases regen in that mode.

The VCM is the only interesting part (and the DRLs maybe, but I'm sure they are a fortune), would love to know myself if it's an easy swap or flash.

If I had a 2012, I would definitely consider it, but since I have a 2013, this would make my 2013 feel as 'fast' again as the 2012, but I'm not crazy about the idea of having to pay to get the performance I experienced/asked for when I test drove the car, which was a 2012.

http://evworld.com/news.cfm?newsid=30618" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

some crazy options for more speed, it would be sure to kill the battery fast if not the driver. I think it's dumb but someone must want speed at any cost, they should buy a Tesla. LOL

NISsan MOtorsport (NISMO)'s $1,400 option drivers a little more power, improving acceleration and responses.

Nice vehicle though the 2013 Nissan Leaf is, it's just a little... tame, for some people.
Those people may be intrigued to know that in Japan at least, there's an option to give it a little more performance.

We've covered the Nissan Leaf tuned by NISMO (for NISsan MOtorsport) previously, but the official Nissan tuner offers more than just visual upgrades. Customers can also purchase a reset control module, liberating extra performance from the motor with minimal effect on range.

The 136,500 Yen ($1,400) option gives drivers a little more power, improving acceleration and responses. The tuner has even tweaked the car's Eco mode, improving cruising range when in this mode.

While the performance upgrade is available individually, it's also part of a wide range of NISMO accessories available to Japanese buyers.

A full, aerodynamically-optimized body kit is available, with unique blue highlights to match the Leaf's blue badging. It's available as a fiber-reinforced plastic or wet carbon kit, the latter costing a healthy $10,225.

A sports suspension kit will set you back a further $1,080, the 18-inch alloy wheels another $450, while floor mats, blue-tinted mirrors and carbon fiber accents are also available. These, mercifully, are a little cheaper than the bodykit.

None of this is planned for U.S. sale, and even if it was you'd have to be brave to add a good $15,000 to the price of a Leaf. But we'd welcome the performance upgrade on its own, particularly if NISMO's promise it doesn't affect range too badly is true.

Maybe other tuners will take NISMO's lead and develop parts to enhance the Leaf beyond its standard specification. Could the Leaf become the electric car world's first tuner vehicle?...

I would still like to hit it off the line a little harder (this is clearly subdued), and there may be a remap of the power steering as well. At $1400 no, at $250, well, consider. One wouldn't want to abuse it too much as I am sure it would push the drivetrain a little harder leading to early wear out and failure.

All I want are those 18" wheels. The VCM upgrade is a maybe; I wouldn't mind giving my 2012 the extra regen. Now how do I get that stuff from Japan? Might need to hire a professional Japanese translator and order over the phone. Or there's the internet...

From the Blog above:

18233cb5cb.jpg

It would be nice if they would sell that here..... It's not like they would have to have it certified to pass emmisions or anything.

A friend of mine was generous enough to translate the video and blog for me:

Video: The lady is a pro racing driver. She got the performance package for her Leaf. She says: in the car "The car feels good. It has good response. The suspension works really well to give it a smooth ride that feels like "Leaf". Damn the suspension is good, I'm interested in it!"

In factory: "I was really happy when I heard they were coming out with this. They put a lot of thought into the design of these aero parts."

In car: "It runs really smooth. I tried out the sports mode. Even barely hitting the accelerator made me take off. Wow this feels so good. Just like a racing car, the accelerator functions linearly so it feels good and is easy to drive. There is also an eco mode so even if you're pressing the accelerator too hard it doesn't get inefficient with power. I think it would be good to use on a long road trip."

Blog:
Today i'm equipping the NISMO sport package. As expected I ran into trouble and thought about giving up quickly, however even though it's their day off I phoned into NISMO staff and they helped me safely finish up the job, thanks so much. Of course, there are a lot of "things" that go on with the first version, lol. (so he ran into some interesting problems) Now i'll give some feedback about it, hopefully it will be useful at least as an experiment. He hasn't driven very far in it yet but he'll give his first impressions. Just like advertised the D mode is powerful, but the use of electricity is quite a bit higher than the eco mode. In eco mode the axle response was really (dull/slow?), if I press the accelerator like I normally would I don't go anywhere. I think if you can use it well you'll save a lot of money on gas. When you start from stop, the D-mode isn't that much different, but when you get into medium to high gear it starts to feel good, and there is no peaking feeling. It made me really want to try this out on a track. So there you have it. I'm really satisfied with the sports resetting and I recommend it.

So the extra power and the body kit are nice to have, but the sport suspension would be amazing. I would pay a grand for that hands down.

Nissan are you listening, bring those goodies over here. And BTW, it is Infiniti not Infinity that will hopefully eventually have an electric luxo Tesla competitor.

In the service manual I see this before the removal/installation instructions for the VCM:
Before replacing VCM, perform “SAVE DATA FOR CPU REPLACE” in “WORK SUPPORT” of CONSULT to save the current VCM data in CONSULT.

Sooo it's going to require a dealer trip, unless you can get your hands on a consult. ;)

Getting to the VCM is fairly easy. Remove the glove box, and it's right there in front.

Once installed you have to upload the "save data" to the new VCM via the consult and you should be good to go. You also have to go through a "learning" process for the throttle pedal position sensor.

Back