My new suspension installed.............Lovin It!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoCalFlyer

Well after asking if anyone had looked at anything outside the usual Tein, etc. and finding everyone following the heard, thought I'd save my $$ on a set of overpriced Tein's from Japan....... Not trying to bash those that made the investment, just looking for a reasonable alternative in a price range I'm used to.
I decided to call on my friends is the coil spring industry to set me up with what I was needing.

To give you a little background on myself, I handled the suspension side for a Australian off-road company called TJM and have over 20+ years of experience in the coil-over and off-road racing industry, so not my first suspension rodeo.

The results after installing my setup last weekend have so far left me with a big smile every time I drive or look at my LEAF :D Install pictures and details to come........

One thing I have yet to get a solid answer on is whether or not 2011-2012 spring rates are different than 2013?
I've driven both and find the 2013 to be stiffer with a coil wire thickness of (with coating) .0518. This thickness is that same front and rear.

Personally I have felt the 2013-S springs are on the stiff side and tend to "bounce" rather than absorb. The 2013 Strut and shock in the Leaf is made by KYB, not sure of the 2012 Japan models? Will upload some pics when I get a chance of my install......took less than an hour, almost to easy! Just need a set of 5mm spacers for the rear now and a new front splitter from Stillen :D

photo3joi.jpg

Looks great - are those 17" wheels?

You're not the first to note that the '13 rides a bit stiffer than the '11-12 - for most a welcome improvement.

Will you be selling the springs or can point one in the right direction to get these? I think there'd be at least a few looking to avoid spending big money on Tein...

How are the stock shocks handling the increase in spring rate? Is there still enough bump travel with the reduced right height? And what's the before/after ride height difference?

Thanks!

Edit: Measured my springs 14.3mm F and 14.0mm R in diameter, though that may not say much without counting coils and measuring free length. Hub-fender measurement was 15 7/8" F and 15 3/4" R.

Looks great. Though I'm a bit confused, did you just install lowered springs, or did you upgrade the dampers also? If you've only stiffened the springs it would make sense for it to feel 'bouncy' as you could well be overloading the dampers.

What wheels are those, they look great!

Dave

SoCalFlyer said:
The results after installing my setup last weekend have so far left me with a big smile every time I drive or look at my LEAF :D Install pictures and details to come........

Well, go on then, details!!!! :mrgreen:

The car looks amazing! Would love to hear/see more about what and how you sourced the parts, etc...

MORE DETAILS PLEASE !!!

We have a 2012 Leaf (leased) with some 17s about to go on. I'd love to do a modest drop but don't want to spend big dollars since the car will be turned back in roughly 35 months from now ( we're 4 months into a 39 month lease ) ... so just a set of less expensive springs would be great. More info would be appreciated. Liner vs progressive. Life expectancy using stock shocks/struts. Other details, cost, availability, etc...

Subscribed!

When the '13 spec came out, I studied it to pieces. I recall that one of the changes for 13 is that it was 175 pounds lighter, with just a footnote the appropriate suspension adjustments were made to accommodate. If using the same oem springs as 12- that would account for the stiffer ride for 13.

RePo said:
When the '13 spec came out, I studied it to pieces. I recall that one of the changes for 13 is that it was 175 pounds lighter, with just a footnote the appropriate suspension adjustments were made to accommodate. If using the same oem springs as 12- that would account for the stiffer ride for 13.
Nissan has said that they tweaked the suspension on the '13 to firm up the ride a bit. Unfortunately, I don't think the USA LEAF got most of those weight savings as it didn't keep the aluminum body panels that the '11-12 Japan LEAFs came with.

drees said:
Nissan has said that they tweaked the suspension on the '13 to firm up the ride a bit.

Does anyone know if the 2014/2015 model suspensions are more firm as well? How difficult would it be to make a newer leaf match the same feel of the 2012 model?

EVDRIVER said:
I find the 2011 suspension "bouncy".

I know it's not what most people would need/want, but that's exactly what I'm looking for. It's complicated, but due to some nerve damage my wife is sensitive to road vibrations. The 2012 Leaf has been great.

gsleaf said:
Does anyone know if the 2014/2015 model suspensions are more firm as well? How difficult would it be to make a newer leaf match the same feel of the 2012 model?
The '14-15 should be the same as the '13 as far as I know, but you can't really tell for sure unless you test drive cars back to back.

To make a newer LEAF match the older ones, you should just have to change the strut assemblies out front and shocks out back, they should be interchangeable, though I don't think anyone has confirmed for sure. I doubt the spring rates have changed, but it's not hard to get the rear springs out once you have the rear shocks out to compare free-length and coil thickness.

Back