Plasti-dip and rims

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nubo

You may be familiar with Plasti-dip; a rubberized coating more commonly used to insulate and improve grip on hand tools. They make it it spray-on formulation now, and have added a number of colors. It's fairly forgiving to apply, and if you decide you don't like it, it gets scratched up, or you want to turn in the lease, the coating can be peeled off when the time comes.

I used a White base coat, "Camo green" for color and then white as a highlight. Finished with a couple of coats of clear, which they call "glossifier".

I got the stuff from http://www.dipyourcar.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can also see the white "tire paint" I tried last summer has aged considerably. Ah well.

One nice thing about the Plasti-dip is there's very little prep necessary and you can do it right on the car. Other than cleaning the rims you just need something to shield the brake caliper and rotor. Overspray on the tire peels right off almost magically.

A bit more interesting look for the stock wheels, imo.

Attachments

• pddd.JPG
    pddd.JPG
    190.9 KB · Views: 468
That looks really good. Like darker wheels that contrast against a lighter vehicle paint color. With the Plasti-dip, you can always peel it off, correct?

dcpatters said:
That looks really good. Like darker wheels that contrast against a lighter vehicle paint color. With the Plasti-dip, you can always peel it off, correct?

Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj68Jji57w8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks nice. I'm surprised that 5, 6, 7 coats or more from a spray can come up looking so smooth. Do you see any runs or drips up close, or does it really look somewhat like a powdercoat as in the picture?

LakeLeaf said:
Looks nice. I'm surprised that 5, 6, 7 coats or more from a spray can come up looking so smooth. Do you see any runs or drips up close, or does it really look somewhat like a powdercoat as in the picture?

It's not glassy-smooth, there's a bit of texture consistent with it being rubberized, but not unattractive.

I didn't find runs to be a problem. I did apply a little too much in a spot here or there on the first few coats, but they level out surprisingly well when the product dries. Can't tell now. Very forgiving stuff. I suppose you could still mess it up if you're really sloppy, but if you stick with the idea of multiple thin coats it seems pretty easy. And if your first attempt isn't satisfactory, you can peel it off and try again having learned from your mistakes.

Back