Volusiano
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2011

Re: Easy Climate Control Fan-Only Solution - 5 cents, 5 mins

Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:10 am

Can somebody explain the difference between Phil's mod and this deluxe version? Is Phil's mod more firmware related while this deluxe version is a hands-on components replacement/add-on?

Phil said his mod can be reversed easily using a simple switch (not clear what switch he was talking about, though). I assume that this deluxe version cannot be reversed easily?

BetterLeaf

Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:12 am

aminorjourney wrote:Here in the UK (with all that jolly-old rain) pre-heating invariably mists up the inside of the car.

Never had that during pre-heating. Have you tried one of those dehumidifier dry packs? I've read that they work quite well.

BetterLeaf

Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:18 am

camasleaf wrote: I would also be interested in being able to run defog in recirculation, I realy miss having this option.

I've just tested that. It works in my Leaf. With defog on, I can still switch between fresh air and recirculation.
Last edited by BetterLeaf on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

BetterLeaf

Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:28 am

Volusiano wrote:Can somebody explain the difference between Phil's mod and this deluxe version? Is Phil's mod more firmware related while this deluxe version is a hands-on components replacement/add-on?
Phil said his mod can be reversed easily using a simple switch (not clear what switch he was talking about, though). I assume that this deluxe version cannot be reversed easily?

I've never seen Phil's solution but I've read what he wrote in this forum. He said his version does not modify the firmware. With being reversible he explained that there is a wire loop coming out of his modified unit that can be cut to disable the mod.

You can do the same thing with my version if you like. Just put a wire and/or switch between the 330 Ohm R1 and pin 37.

This is just speculation but I assume Phil might be using the same underlying principle to trick the climate control unit.

BetterLeaf

Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:36 am

TomT wrote:I pulled mine out this evening and did the "deluxe" version. It took me about one hour from start to finish and I already had the required components or close-enough equivalents in my parts box... Works like a champ!

Thank you!!! I can't tell you how happy I am that someone has actually built this the very same day that I posted it. That really made all the time it took to document what I did worth while.

I'm glad to have shared this with you all.

dhanson865
Leaf Number: 16156

Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:45 am

BetterLeaf wrote:
TomT wrote:I pulled mine out this evening and did the "deluxe" version. It took me about one hour from start to finish and I already had the required components or close-enough equivalents in my parts box... Works like a champ!

Thank you!!! I can't tell you how happy I am that someone has actually built this the very same day that I posted it. That really made all the time it took to document what I did worth while.

It's awesome that you did take the time to do it. This will help a lot of 2011 and 2012 owners without the heat pump heater option to get more range without fighting poorly designed HVAC controls.

Congrats on a job well done.
Blue 2012 Leaf 195/65/15 tires, 15" Rims
Silver 2012 Leaf 16" stock wheels
wiki/index.php?title=Real_World_Battery_Capacity_Loss
(efficiency 3.x KW vs 6.x KW)
please join Truedelta.com and input your repairs.

DoxyLover
Delivery Date: 16 Oct 2011
Leaf Number: 9214

Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:11 pm

BetterLeaf wrote:

AFAIK, Phil's solution is the same as the "deluxe" version, except that his also enables the heater if the rear defogger is activated (uses it as an "override"). I suspect his implementation is similar, or maybe a little cleaner with an add-in circuit board instead of flying components.

BTW, I bought Phil's and am quite happy to support his efforts.
2011 Brilliant Silver Leaf SL
Reserved, quoted and ordered July 11, 2011
Delivered October 16, 2011 (Na. Plug-In Day)

hyperlexis
Delivery Date: 06 Jan 2013

Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:37 pm

I can't understand this. Why in the world is there no 'ram-air' system were one can jut get flow-through air from the dash vents without running the fan at all, and why is there no eco setting on the HVAC that kills the A/C compressor or the resistance heat system?

Most regular gasoline cars have these basic features (well aside from a resistance heater kill switch....).

It seems as though it would save energy vs running the AC/heater or driving with the windows cracked open/down.

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:16 pm

Thank you for posting it! A cheap and simple but elegant solution.

BetterLeaf wrote:
TomT wrote:I pulled mine out this evening and did the "deluxe" version. It took me about one hour from start to finish and I already had the required components or close-enough equivalents in my parts box ... Works like a champ!

Last edited by TomT on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
59,991 miles/12 bars/289 Gids/68.54 AHr/101% SOH/101.64% Hx 7May15 w/ new Lizard (barely made the warranty).
71,770 miles/12 bars/256 Gids/59.04 AHr/88% SOH/87.92% Hx 3Mar16 at 5 yr lease return.

Now driving a 2019 Tesla Model 3 LR FSD.

chortle
Delivery Date: 14 Jan 2012

Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:20 pm

I enjoy reading all of the creative ideas that make our Leaf an even better car. In fact it's one of the most fun parts of owning our car.

But I have a question and an idea that perhaps some one who knows more about our car can comment on.

I have felt that the climate heat and defrost system would work just fine for me if i could "pulse" the controls.

Give me a 1 minute blast of defrost with heat and 3 minutes of "off" (for example) make that circuit variable so that I can dial in the delay and I get a clear window and save 2/3 of the power.

Let me have that same system for the heater, run for a few minutes, off for a few minutes.

Just build a small dial resister and switch with a 555 timer into the power circuit.

Is it that easy or am I missing a whole bunch of important stuff?

Bill Matley
Bill Matley
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Leaf SL
Glacier Pearl

Return to “Accessories / Mods”