Altima wheels with Blizzak tires

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garsh

We have a winter weather advisory for today, so I decided to go ahead and put on my winter wheels/tires last night.
2002 Nissan Altima wheels & Bridgestone Blizzak tires, both same size as OEM.
Nothing fancy. Works well so far. My mileage was crap this morning though. :p
bm4Txh6gxbWJD2O9ljc1uxF_IjrarCZTodxRhkApZ3np_HZ-7YElaEq64nzPKoyIHTdbk60ifIyBQ3_0Y5lxUYcxW44hJWETP6tk5hg48TeT9gzTkQkMlhm1j21WDcB4-5ILgLs7ksDy8QML9zROwqCyr-jdVHxutV-Z8jHVKQIc1ArYNGSOcMw7ZNZAFKzLRXxDfx3LjvWj4346MtjnW5RmmeCjUPoGZgKb6dfvdrBeZ7XVFAdUtS_YdziyHS2k6c-F0K4IN56rvzQUjEaJYKQiH-TdvU42rgPSrC4Z7K1rt8Pc9_H1FVgqZORj4l9aRO4KLoBy7a-rRLS2DXLECl7KI9fWAQthfXTLO1anJAxOTM_HACwIY9RDY8v2oMfDVlnJWFryTDbXh9HCL6ea8mI0hyhhtIsQGXlKrdtFvI7HPdqp6KgC1B9eHrbL2ozj-9Vm_RqGozQtjGTYdBWaTcAMBR-Hr8sPtAGQHcPTX-YXDQKEwid5BQesyedz6bPLki36okkxfOSQdp1RlEPcyelmWkNyyVm5z_2dv1n9Aca1xHJcWgri16eYreG8ZmYdrpcfpw=s944

We finally got our first good snowfall.
The Leaf handled things beautifully. I had to go around a couple of cars that were stuck on hills.

The bad part is that I had to run the heater/defroster the whole time, so my mileage was terrible.

nn5avz9GgfAAfxq2cT4JbPiIgvqlECgMz0HMWb31HFLtnNKR_qxiMTY70412C1bWcMV0nHjWluzr_GKS7W1WqImvVLGbr5D6m7Dlv9XraCSrYhhSKN_hbG8P7K9Cv-WnlnkAaNwEx_Fr3lg59KC40ISXiRBXLMGJngiETl9ha9jpQgd3Sm3_OqjfW0X4qoQR-0BhlAweM99XrKMJFNDfjbLVHWpBOxxxc0MTm2Cin8ScB-6p1rsmK_ukXp0Cah5R4PrPTVZdV1Rg01XjatJnGkY7h1fX08JfSfrAsQ9vhqxzCb9_ZqYjEQCTQRtEPtc45nbyGqE884TC70iuIClLcqthMWqQ08IBfKjUVOxkSE4lp1i-rMr1atdPv5gzBE_TIYisUaVceR1Cfpn_tf7WkufJVDr6jQciuQFFidBFY0IMePCnCwjUaJpybkAQeG2kOZH2X0Q3Bbr1JD_ldUGSJ8TmE-e_hZhi3tV-8EHIAYpRcQy9SV6Tm8_nZ_QSGovWbGzaCfnZlCVA2Cl3RBJYXkwMuwaD9aOKVro-bwwNEBILlFp7dbhnOIw6CBNHXhMzDp7pNg=s998

When you say the mileage is terrible, what are you seeing? We are in Cleveland, Ohio-- so very close to you. We just picked up a Leaf a week ago (2012, leased) and I have snow tires on the way. I'll be placing them on the OEM wheels, and getting some new wheels next spring. Figured keep the costs down now using the factory wheels/TPMS.

Anyhow, I realize that Ohio is a bit more "flat" than the hills of Pittsburgh-- but with your heat working and those snow tires, what sort of range or efficiencies are you seeing? What do we have in store for us here in C-town!?

PS: Like the style of those wheels... and hey the storm is hitting us hard now... yay! finally winter....

I am getting 2.7 m/Kwh with freezing temperatures, 65 mph, 1500 feet elevation up and down a day, and using the heater around 66 degrees with the following set up; General Altimax Artic studded tires (21lbs.) & Raceline 126 aluminum wheels (17lbs.)  I chose to go with out TPMS for winter wheels because $280 for four wheels is a rip off.

Shaka said:
When you say the mileage is terrible, what are you seeing?
I saw 2.7 miles/kWh yesterday, driving around town running errands with the defrost on full blast just about the whole time.

With clear roads & normal driving, I'm estimating that I'm seeing 5-10% worse mileage compared to the stock Ecopia tires & wheels.

I also chose to go without TPMS for winter. The warning light isn't as distracting as I thought it might be. I'm already used to ignoring it.

I guess your original tires were the ecopias?

I have the Michelins, I think I'm going to see how they perform before buying new wheels and tires

I saw 2.7 miles/kWh yesterday, driving around town running errands with the defrost on full blast just about the whole time.

If the heat and A/C are both running when you have defrost on, you might try turning one of them off, depending. Have you tried the Defrost/Floor vent setting with heat only and recirculate off?

LeftieBiker said:
If the heat and A/C are both running when you have defrost on, you might try turning one of them off, depending. Have you tried the Defrost/Floor vent setting with heat only and recirculate off?
I don't know if the 2013's are any different, but for the 2011's and 2012's there's no way to turn off the heater if it's below 60° F and you have the climate control on at all. The A/C is extremely efficient and having it on doesn't impact range much.

I've recently added a heater cutoff switch, so I'm looking forward to how that will perform this winter.

garsh said:
LeftieBiker said:
I don't know if the 2013's are any different, but for the 2011's and 2012's there's no way to turn off the heater if it's below 60° F and you have the climate control on at all. The A/C is extremely efficient and having it on doesn't impact range much.

I've recently added a heater cutoff switch, so I'm looking forward to how that will perform this winter.

AFAIK I can turn the heat off at any temp, but I guess I'll find out this Winter. It isn't that much of an issue for me, because if I don't want the A/C on, I can use the heat alone to defrost or defog.

hi garsh,

Do you happen to remember the specs for those Altima wheels? It looks like Altima wheels are 16x7, while OEM is 16x6-1/2. What size winter tire did you install?

Got a killer deal on 16x7s, but the size difference concerns me.

The Altima wheels that I had were from a 2002-2006 Altima.
The specs exactly matched those of the Leaf OEM 16" wheels - 16" x 6.5" with a +40 offset.
Click for a larger version:

Somebody else reported that the wheels from a 2007-2012 Altima (which are 16" x 7") do NOT fit, as they rub against the front brake calipers.
It sounds like this is the one that you have:
s-l225.jpg

They're steelies with nice covers that do look like that.

Guess I need to sell these and find something better (this has been a major PITA).

Thanks for the update.

Back