webeleafowners
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2015

Re: Anyone else surprised that no one has come out with a Tesla destination charger for J1772

Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:42 pm

SageBrush wrote:
webeleafowners wrote:
TomT wrote:As well they have every right to!

Well, unauthorized I can see, maybe, depending on where it is, illegal might be a stretch. Anyway, I wrote this from the point of view of businesses that installed the tesla destination chargers that didn't realize they were unique to Tesla electric vehicles. .

Typically **Tesla** pays for those destination chargers. The hardware for sure; I'm not sure about the installation.

I'll tell you what it will take to install a J1772 EVSE: money out of the mechant's pocket.

Yah. Its not expensive and since the power is already there for the Tesla charger one could simply have an electrician do a A/B switch type thing so the power source could be shared. Not an electrician though so don't know the code ramifications of this. Seems doable though. Even if they went with an exterior clipper creek or something I suspect throwing a thousand bucks at the problem would solve it. Having said that for small business that can be a lot, especially since they probably already laid out at least some money for the installation of the Tesla station. I don't think it is a common occurrence but have run into it a few times. Meh.
2015 Smart Electric Drive convertible.
2016 Nissan Leaf SV 30KW
EV only Family...well except for the big diesel motorhome. :shock:

wwhitney
Delivery Date: 01 Apr 2011

Re: Anyone else surprised that no one has come out with a Tesla destination charger for J1772

Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:32 pm

If Tesla paid for it, then I would say that it is reasonable for Tesla to ask for exclusivity for a fixed time period, e.g. 3 years. I would expect Tesla's contract with the business owner would spell that out. Absent any contractual obligation, it's entirely up to the business owner to do what they want with the equipment.

Cheers, Wayne

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:48 pm

webeleafowners wrote: especially since they probably already laid out at least some money for the installation of the Tesla station.

Probably not.
http://www.teslarati.com/becoming-tesla ... rticipant/
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

jpadc
Delivery Date: 20 Dec 2014

Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:13 am

SageBrush wrote:Typically **Tesla** pays for those destination chargers. The hardware for sure; I'm not sure about the installation.

I'll tell you what it will take to install a J1772 EVSE: money out of the mechant's pocket.
wwhitney wrote:If Tesla paid for it, then I would say that it is reasonable for Tesla to ask for exclusivity for a fixed time period, e.g. 3 years. I would expect Tesla's contract with the business owner would spell that out. Absent any contractual obligation, it's entirely up to the business owner to do what they want with the equipment.

Not far from where I am, when I'm in Wisconsin, there is a local Winery where Tesla paid to install 3 destination charging stations but also paid to install one J1772 standard charging station as well (and not because the owner asked or even knew to ask), they just did it as part of the outreach

I think its a good business model for Tesla to include other electric cars in their destination charging station program as it both promotes electric cars (generally a good thing) and helps many of us feel better about a company that so far has used a lot of federal dollars to make vehicles exclusively for the 1%. Even if the Model S ends up more than vaporware it's still priced at $30k (likely more) and that's still a price point for the upper 10%. Still a very long way from a car for the masses.

Note: I have no connection to the Winery discussed and linked here. I've talked to the owner while charging my Leaf and shopping at his business. If you visit here, I recommend you get some of the Cranberry Wine Cheese - its the best! The picture below is from PlugShare.

2013 Leaf S /w Charge Package - Purchased new in Iowa City Dec. 2014
My previous car was a 2008 Prius Touring Package 5 - 73k Miles, 43 MPG lifetime

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:53 am

jpadc wrote:Not far from where I am, when I'm in Wisconsin, there is a local Winery where Tesla paid to install 3 destination charging stations but also paid to install one J1772 standard charging station as well (and not because the owner asked or even knew to ask), they just did it as part of the outreach

I think its a good business model for Tesla to include other electric cars in their destination charging station program as it both promotes electric cars (generally a good thing) and helps many of us feel better about a company that so far has used a lot of federal dollars to make vehicles exclusively for the 1%. Even if the Model S ends up more than vaporware it's still priced at $30k (likely more) and that's still a price point for the upper 10%. Still a very long way from a car for the masses.

You are right that Tesla does include a J1772 plug sometimes, also on their dime. It is very generous of them and should not set a bar.

Your argument about federal dollars is disingenuous for two reasons:
1. The federal subsidy is through the car purchase program. It has nothing to do with chargers. Do you criticize Nissan for using that same subsidy but not installing destination chargers AT ALL ? The same goes for Toyota, Fiat, etc.
2. EVs are around 1% of car buyers. The other 99% do not benefit from the EVSEs at all but pay into the pot to set up public L2 charging stations. That does not bother you, does it ?

Apologies for the harsh tone. Hypocrisy annoys me.
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

LoLRick
Delivery Date: 22 Apr 2017
Leaf Number: 311530

Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:20 am

QuickChargePower makes an adapter.

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JDapte ... PTRSTB.htm

This is also useful for someone like me who has a Tesla high power wall connector and a Nissan Leaf at home.

Reddy
Delivery Date: 18 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 006828

Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:17 am

jpadc wrote:...Not far from where I am, when I'm in Wisconsin, there is a local Winery where Tesla paid to install 3 destination charging stations but also paid to install one J1772 standard charging station as well (and not because the owner asked or even knew to ask), they just did it as part of the outreach...
I've also worked with several local wineries. Each installation is location specific, usually related to how much space is available in both parking and electrical. If plenty of electricity is available, the "normal" install is two 80amp Tesla HPWCs and one 40amp ClipperCreek J1772. As I understand it, Tesla provides the EVSEs and up to $2500 for the installation after approval (I think three quotes are required, but not sure). The destination owner is responsible for contracting and installation. Probably this week or next, I will confirm with the latest winery. For locations with limited electricity or parking, the installation might be as small as one 40 amp HPWC, or any mix with higher numbers. In high EV density areas, they might go as far as eight HPWCs (I've seen some hotel resorts with four or six). In my low EV density area, we're lucky to see even one EVSE, Tesla or J1772 (although Tesla has now installed EVSEs at at least FOUR local hotels). I've never seen more than one ClipperCreek installed by Tesla, but I won't say it hasn't happened. In areas with more than one non-Tesla J1772, it's usually a SunCountry or other non-Tesla entity doing those installations. Hope this helps.
Reddy
2011 SL; 9 bar, 46.44 AHr; 40,067 mi; rcv'd Aug 18, 2011
Long: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... al#p226115"
Cold: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 60#p243033"

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:26 am

Yes, we frequent the Pines Lodge and Sea Otter Inn in Cambria, California and they did the same thing there... Two designation chargers and one 1772... One of the many reasons why I am looking forward to joining the Tesla family with a Model 3...

jpadc wrote:Not far from where I am, when I'm in Wisconsin, there is a local Winery where Tesla paid to install 3 destination charging stations but also paid to install one J1772 standard charging station as well (and not because the owner asked or even knew to ask), they just did it as part of the outreach.
59,991 miles/12 bars/289 Gids/68.54 AHr/101% SOH/101.64% Hx 7May15 w/ new Lizard (barely made the warranty).
71,770 miles/12 bars/256 Gids/59.04 AHr/88% SOH/87.92% Hx 3Mar16 at lease return.

Now driving a 2017 Volt Premier. Model 3 reserved.

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:29 am

At 400 bucks it is way too expensive... Its use could also potentially be considered theft of service...

LoLRick wrote:QuickChargePower makes an adapter.
Last edited by TomT on Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
59,991 miles/12 bars/289 Gids/68.54 AHr/101% SOH/101.64% Hx 7May15 w/ new Lizard (barely made the warranty).
71,770 miles/12 bars/256 Gids/59.04 AHr/88% SOH/87.92% Hx 3Mar16 at lease return.

Now driving a 2017 Volt Premier. Model 3 reserved.

LoLRick
Delivery Date: 22 Apr 2017
Leaf Number: 311530

Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:43 am

I checked on them in April when I got my Leaf and they were not available. The web site showed "coming soon" or something to that effect. The presence of the "add to cart" button would seem to indicate that they are available now.

I agree that $400 is pretty spendy. However, I might have done it because I already had the HPWC in place and the price for this was less than adding a 14-50 plug and buying an EVSE just for the Leaf. Similarly, the original post references businesses who already have the HPWC in place and wish to serve a larger market. For $400, this solution is probably much cheaper than anything else they could do.

Theft of service is a mighty strong statement. For the situation where a non-Tesla owner buys the adapter, pulls up to a destination charger, and plugs in without permission, I suppose you could say that. But I could plug in my Tesla without permission and it wouldn't be any different.

But for the owner of the HPWC who wants to expand its utility, there is nothing wrong with the JDapter.

Return to “Accessories / Mods”