Rearview Mirror Upgrade - Couple Questions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rspreitzer

I'm planning on upgrading my rearview mirror to one with autodim, compass and homelink. I have a couple stupid questions.

1) How do you remove the mirror on the Leaf? I see a slot on the far side, I'm assuming prying using the slot?
2) Once I remove it, are mirrors from other vehicles compatible with the mount? I love my wife's Sonata's mirror, exactly what I'm looking for. Only issue I can see is that the other mirrors seem to have set screws, not sure if it'll work with the factory mounting bracket, but I have read that most vehicles in North America are wedge mount.

Thanks,
Rob

rspreitzer said:
I'm planning on upgrading my rearview mirror to one with autodim, compass and homelink. I have a couple stupid questions.

1) How do you remove the mirror on the Leaf? I see a slot on the far side, I'm assuming prying using the slot?
2) Once I remove it, are mirrors from other vehicles compatible with the mount? I love my wife's Sonata's mirror, exactly what I'm looking for. Only issue I can see is that the other mirrors seem to have set screws, not sure if it'll work with the factory mounting bracket, but I have read that most vehicles in North America are wedge mount.

Thanks,
Rob

I have a 2014 and the mirror can be removed by loosening the screw below the mount. The mirror should then just slide up and off. I purchased a replacement from Nissan that had auto dim, compass, and homelink. I think the mirror was designed for the Rogue, but it has the same attachment so it will also fit the Leaf. The new mirror uses a different wiring connector and uses three wires (one ground and two power) instead of the two (ground and power) for the existing Leaf mirror. You will either need to run the new three wire cable under the roof liner and down a side pillar or do what I did and spliced the new connector onto the existing wires.

--Troy

tjames said:
rspreitzer said:

Thanks,
Rob

I have a 2014 and the mirror can be removed by loosening the screw below the mount. The mirror should then just slide up and off. I purchased a replacement from Nissan that had auto dim, compass, and homelink. I think the mirror was designed for the Rogue, but it has the same attachment so it will also fit the Leaf. The new mirror uses a different wiring connector and uses three wires (one ground and two power) instead of the two (ground and power) for the existing Leaf mirror. You will either need to run the new three wire cable under the roof liner and down a side pillar or do what I did and spliced the new connector onto the existing wires.

--Troy
I don't see a visible screw, just a slot in the plastic. Does this sound like the same mounting setup? I can't really tell what screwdriver/hex/torx I would need to use?
As for the wires, I don't have ANY existing wires, I looked in my head liner for them and appears that Nissan didn't even bother to put the harness in the Leaf S. Guess I'll be running them a side pillar.

rspreitzer said:
tjames said:
rspreitzer said:

Thanks,
Rob

--Troy
I don't see a visible screw, just a slot in the plastic. Does this sound like the same mounting setup? I can't really tell what screwdriver/hex/torx I would need to use?
As for the wires, I don't have ANY existing wires, I looked in my head liner for them and appears that Nissan didn't even bother to put the harness in the Leaf S. Guess I'll be running them a side pillar.

My Leaf SV came with an auto dimming mirror so power was already wired to it. It sounds like the S model may also have a different mirror mount so I am afraid I am not much help.

Back