XM working for next 2 weeks

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vin944

I got an email today saying they turned on my XM for 2 free weeks. Just ran some errands and it's true! FYI

vin944 said:
I got an email today saying they turned on my XM for 2 free weeks. Just ran some errands and it's true! FYI
I got something in the mail about that, too, with a handy channel listing on a small card. However, there's nothing they broadcast that I'm interested in, even for free! Am I picky or what? :D

I tried listening to some of it though, and noticed the sound quality was rather poor. The mp3 320's on my USB stick sound waaay better.

scottf200 said:
I got this as well and have been enjoying some old Rock and a good mix of country. Most stations have an annoying amout of commercials tho.

Wasn't that the ploy of XM??? No commercials?

ztanos said:
scottf200 said:
I got this as well and have been enjoying some old Rock and a good mix of country. Most stations have an annoying amout of commercials tho.

Wasn't that the ploy of XM??? No commercials?

yep. but that ship sailed right after the first payment to Howard Stern ;)

i am a bit confused. XM does this about every 3 months or so and usually during an occasion. they turned it on a few days before Labor Day Weekend and i was under the impression it would be going off soon...like this Sunday maybe?

My impression was after you listened to it for a while you could tell that each of the stations was just a big playlist and you became aware it was playing in a loop. But two weeks should be just right before it becomes repetitive again.

LTLFTcomposite said:
My impression was after you listened to it for a while you could tell that each of the stations was just a big playlist and you became aware it was playing in a loop. But two weeks should be just right before it becomes repetitive again.

actually its more like 2 days.

depending on popularity or a bug up a programmers butt, you will hear certain songs a few times a day, others several times a week, others a few times a week and probably a few only once a week. they try to make it random but if you listen for several hours a day, the randomness disappears quickly.

I have subscribed to XM for over 10 years, and have yet to hear an advertisement on any of the XM music channels. If you listen to a terrestrial station that broadcasts on XM, then you may hear an ad.
My favorite channel is 27, Deep Tracks. They play the songs not heard on the radio back in the day, but made up the core of albums we grew up with.
Now my kids on the other hand, they listen to....

some may not label them commercials but i do. if you rather call them announcements that is fine. its like HBO. they used to start shows at random times due to various lengths of movies they showed.

now, they just put in 10 minutes of filler between shows. not "commercials" mind you but what would you call a short video pitching another show on regular commercial tv? i call em commercials

I also call them commercials (which includes all the talk generated from the dj's). In fact I think terrestrial radio plays more minutes per hour of music than sirius/xm. This reminds me that I need to cancel my last subscription in my ICE vehicle as I have only put 3,000 miles on it this year. :)

Has anyone let their XM expire then gotten an offer to renew for a lot less money? I have a plug-in radio in my truck, and after the promo expired I turned off the service. A few weeks later I received an offer of $25 for 6 months of service.

Does this happen with the Leaf XM?

Fredr500 said:
Has anyone let their XM expire then gotten an offer to renew for a lot less money? I have a plug-in radio in my truck, and after the promo expired I turned off the service. A few weeks later I received an offer of $25 for 6 months of service.

yes

It is XM's standard business model so it will happen with the Leaf just as with any other vehicle or radio

Fredr500 said:

Fredr500 said:

For the $25 offer they will take a credit card to bill the service, and they note in the fine print they will start billing you at the regular price when the promo ends. You'll need to mark your calendar to call them before the six months is up; they are gambling you will forget and the full price charge will go unnoticed on your credit card for some period of time. Across a sizable number of customers they probably win that bet a decent percentage of the time.

Of course they are also hoping that you will like the service and become "hooked" on it.

You can be fairly sure that when you do call to cancel you'll get bounced around to some customer retention rep who will put the hard sell on you and make cancelling a drawn out process. Good chance they will also offer to extend at some promo price if you stick to your guns. That's how cable and DSL work these days, there is full price, then there is deep discounts for people who are willing to call in every few months threatening to cancel.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Fredr500 said:

For the $25 offer they will take a credit card to bill the service, and they note in the fine print they will start billing you at the regular price when the promo ends. You'll need to mark your calendar to call them before the six months is up; they are gambling you will forget and the full price charge will go unnoticed on your credit card for some period of time. Across a sizable number of customers they probably win that bet a decent percentage of the time.

Of course they are also hoping that you will like the service and become "hooked" on it.

You can be fairly sure that when you do call to cancel you'll get bounced around to some customer retention rep who will put the hard sell on you and make cancelling a drawn out process. Good chance they will also offer to extend at some promo price if you stick to your guns. That's how cable and DSL work these days, there is full price, then there is deep discounts for people who are willing to call in every few months threatening to cancel.

actually they were good about emailing me when the time drew near a few years ago when i did it in my Prius. they do try to get you to stay and for me; they simply offered me the same deal. another 6 months for $24 or $26 or whatever it was

This is my first time with XM. I'm 6 weeks in now. I find I listen to the comedy stations a lot but they have a LOT of crap on there. For example the "mitch show", is just pure trash (station just to peddle alternative garbage) and it takes up a good portion of the day on one of the five stations.

XM is decent but frankly for $15/month it's a waste of money and I won't renew it at that price, not when I can get pandora for free and stream it via bluetooth on my phone. No, it's not quite as good generally but in some ways it's better because there is a semblance of control over what I play (e.g. can choose a very specific station) and also I can skip some songs if they are bothering me.

I like XM, but not for $15/month. I'd pay $5 for sure, though, maybe $6.99 tops.

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
This is my first time with XM. I'm 6 weeks in now. I find I listen to the comedy stations a lot but they have a LOT of crap on there. For example the "mitch show", is just pure trash (station just to peddle alternative garbage) and it takes up a good portion of the day on one of the five stations.

XM is decent but frankly for $15/month it's a waste of money and I won't renew it at that price, not when I can get pandora for free and stream it via bluetooth on my phone. No, it's not quite as good generally but in some ways it's better because there is a semblance of control over what I play (e.g. can choose a very specific station) and also I can skip some songs if they are bothering me.

I like XM, but not for $15/month. I'd pay $5 for sure, though, maybe $6.99 tops.

then u "in like flynn!" near the end of your subscription, they will contact you. simply say no and they will offer an extension for like $24 bucks for 6 months...

DaveinOlyWA said:
EatsShootsandLeafs said:

then u "in like flynn!" near the end of your subscription, they will contact you. simply say no and they will offer an extension for like $24 bucks for 6 months...
Yeah a co-worker told me to stand firm and they'll get desperate :D

Citi has a virtual credit card feature. You can generate a one-time number. If XM takes that number, you are done. When they try to renew in 6 months, the one-time number won't work and subscription will expire automatically.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Fredr500 said:

wishboneash said:
Citi has a virtual credit card feature. You can generate a one-time number. If XM takes that number, you are done. When they try to renew in 6 months, the one-time number won't work and subscription will expire automatically.
Are you sure they don't have some fine print about you are still responsible for the charges until you cancel, even if your form of payment is turned down?
I ran into that on Tivo a few years ago on a box we were only occasionally using. My credit card number had been changed on account of fraud concerns, and the $6 a month charge stopped getting paid. I forget the details now, it went unpaid for a couple months, with my "account" going into arrears. Finally I occurred to me what happened when the box put up a message to contact customer service or whatever. So when I called them I was like $14 in the red. Whether they would have sent me to collections for $14 or dinged my credit is hard to say, it wasn't worth it to me to find out. (A few months later we cancelled the service)

Back