Does Leaf need Home Address for automatic station updates?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FairwoodRed

My Nissan Leaf April newsletter arrived today and in the Carwings tip section they say :

A CARWINGS tip for you

In order to get automatic CARWINGS updates about new charging stations, make sure you have your home location set in the navigation system. This will ensure you are given the most up-to-date station locations.

For more information, please locate the Nissan LEAF™ Navigation System Owner's Manual and refer to pages 1-12. Click here.

Ever since my first GPS was stolen, I no longer put my home address into NAV systems. Do I really have to put in my home address to get automatic updates? If so, will it get the stations at my work, 30 miles away? And if you follow the link for the online owner’s manual, be sure to look for Leaf filed under “N” :roll:

If you're that paranoid, it should be sufficient for the "home" location to be in the same zip code...and the update should cover anything remotely in LEAF range.

You can always update "around current location" or "around destination".
So, no, a Home address is not needed.

On a dark night in strange surroundings, my wife likes that "Home"
will get her to a familiar intersection not-too-far from home.

Actually this brings up a good question I've had. When I update stations "near" a certain place, how "near" is "near"?

lpickup said:
Actually this brings up a good question I've had. When I update stations "near" a certain place, how "near" is "near"?

I think "near" means "pretty close" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sorry! I couldn't resist.

garygid said:
Difficult to tell what "near" means, but probably 5 to 10 miles.
Yeah, it doesn't seem to be much. I wish it would just download the whole damn list (or at least for the whole state) - it can't be that big... I've taken to using the "update near location" and manually clicking on various points around the region to get a wider area list.

Does anyone know what is being updated in automatic station updates? Often I'll see a message like "Updated 108 charging stations near the current location." Yet I know there are not 108 new charging stations since yesterday; there are not 108 charging stations "near" my current location. I guess it sends a charging station update any time Navtek's listing for that station is modified in any way. Very rarely that's because it is indeed a new station, but usually it's because something changed that makes no difference to the driver, and may not even be displayed in the charging station listing, or maybe nothing at all changed.

I've looked in vain for a menu option to display the list of updates that were received, which would give me a chance to recognize if there were any new stations among the updates. Has anyone found a way to see new stations?

From the CarWings Settings menu: "[Auto-Update Stations]:When information for new charging stations is received while the vehicle is connecting to the NISSAN CARWINGS Data Center, the information is automatically downloaded and the map data is updated."

walterbays said:
Does anyone know what is being updated in automatic station updates? Often I'll see a message like "Updated 108 charging stations near the current location." Yet I know there are not 108 new charging stations since yesterday; there are not 108 charging stations "near" my current location. I guess it sends a charging station update any time Navtek's listing for that station is modified in any way. Very rarely that's because it is indeed a new station, but usually it's because something changed that makes no difference to the driver, and may not even be displayed in the charging station listing, or maybe nothing at all changed.

I've looked in vain for a menu option to display the list of updates that were received, which would give me a chance to recognize if there were any new stations among the updates. Has anyone found a way to see new stations?

Back