Is there a trick to getting charging station updates?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackleaf

Had my Leaf for only a few days....and I've only managed to read through a small fraction of all the manuals.

I've tried the CARWINGS, update charging stations feature - near current location, near destination etc. Sometimes it seems to work, but mostly even if I know for sure that there is a charging station nearby (typically a ChargePoint) it fails to identify it. I've instead driven to these myself and plugged in for a few minutes to add them to my Nav.

Is there a secret, or is this just not working as you would expect?

It is called DIY. It is frustating the lack of updates. I have several local charging stations located. The only one CARWINGs gave me was 70+ miles away.

It seems to basically add Nissan Dealers and that is it... Hopefully that will change in the future. But hey, it is an improvement: For the first 6 weeks I had mine it showed nothing!

blackleaf said:
Had my Leaf for only a few days....and I've only managed to read through a small fraction of all the manuals.

I've tried the CARWINGS, update charging stations feature - near current location, near destination etc. Sometimes it seems to work, but mostly even if I know for sure that there is a charging station nearby (typically a ChargePoint) it fails to identify it. I've instead driven to these myself and plugged in for a few minutes to add them to my Nav.

Is there a secret, or is this just not working as you would expect?

I have the same issue with no recent Chargepoint stations showing up. I know the city of San Rafael just added a few L2's at one of their city garages but the Carwings update doesn't catch it. It is at least a few months behind. The DIY suggestion is what i am going to do as the car remembers where i charged in the past. I just have to navigate to them with my phone gps the first time i guess. Haha, it's like a charging station treasurehunt :) :)

mine does not either. in fact, i dedicated one day where i drove around town, plugged into the free public 120 Volt charging stations in my area. that got them registered.

DaveinOlyWA said:
mine does not either. in fact, i dedicated one day where i drove around town, plugged into the free public 120 Volt charging stations in my area. that got them registered.

So as long as you plug in briefly, it will remember them and they will show up in the NAV....or is there something else you have to do to get the car to remember them?

Kataphn said:
So as long as you plug in briefly, it will remember them and they will show up in the NAV....or is there something else you have to do to get the car to remember them?

Yes, as long as the car is configured to remember charge spots it only requires a brief connection for it to remember. I have stopped at some public J1772s just for 10 seconds of charge to get the car to remember that spot automatically.

TEG said:
Yes, as long as the car is configured to remember charge spots it only requires a brief connection for it to remember. I have stopped at some public J1772s just for 10 seconds of charge to get the car to remember that spot automatically.
Just like my dog! :)

Kataphn said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

as soon as you plug in a pop up asks u if you want to save the location.

There is a setting option in one of the on-screen menus to make it automatically remember every charge location without asking.

Stanton said:
I thought there was a way to "manually" remember them in one of the NAV settings. No plug-in required.
To manually add a station you need to add the location to your address book. You then go to the address book and edit that location. One of the edit options is to say this is a charging location or a quick charge location. It will not record whether is it L2 or L1. I have just been adding that to the location name.

Thanks everybody...nice to know it's not just me. Hope to see Nissan get to the point where all of the features of the car are as good as the manual says it is.

I like the idea of going around and plugging into stations. I've done two of them already, but it is a good (don't tell my wife that) excuse to go an a Leaf drive on a beutiful day in the Pacific NW!! Gotta go!

The DIY doesn't make sense. I thought the feature would be great if someone was getting low in an unknown area and needed a charge.

Does anyone know how Nissan plans on updating this? Blink keeps advertising that they are adding new stations, Chargepoint is also adding, so it would be beneficial for one person at Nissan to update Carwings each day for less than one hour to have all the new stations updated.

There must be a way to link to Google maps. Apparently Google maps has a way of showing all the charging stations.

I agree that DIY shouldn't be necesary if there are real charging location updates. I can add the ChargePoint locations by hand but I have yet to see one added in an update. Maybe one day Nissan will actually have some significant effort adding new charging stations to their database. It certainly doesn't seem to be a priority at the moment. One the other hand, after almost 2 months of having the car it really doesn't matter to me getting station updates from Nissan. It really doesn't impact how I use the car on a daily basis. BTW, Google maps appears to be equally poor at providing charging locations in my area.

I agree that Google is no better. I've seen posts over the last week about a whole slew of BLINK chargers being added in the city of Seattle over last week or so...but NADA on the Navi through carwings, and nothing also on Google. Don't get me started with blink.........the company with the best darn web site that was never actually built! Ooops....I started.

I'll take a breather though....it's all pretty new and if these companies all come through with the promises by the end of the summer....that would be great. In the mean time...being well informed through MNL is the way to go.

Love the car. :D

mgoleta said:
It is called DIY. It is frustating the lack of updates. I have several local charging stations located. The only one CARWINGs gave me was 70+ miles away.

This is what I did, just added any near my manually.

Back