User avatar
garygid
Gold Member
Posts: 12433
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:10 am
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855
Location: Laguna Hills, Orange Co, CA

Re: Navi safety override?

Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:46 am

Maybe I missed it (or forgot).

Did you post the details on adding an AUX Audio-Video input, where the A-V could be shown on the Nav screen while parked?

Is it three RCA jacks, standard resolution NTSC video, and stereo audio?

How is that new "Aux A-V" function selected for viewing?

Thanks, Gary
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2010 Prius, 2014 silver Tesla S
Nissan EVSE, mod to 240/120v 16A
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

bdl99
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:36 pm
Delivery Date: 24 Mar 2012

Re: Navi safety override?

Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:01 am

garygid wrote:Maybe I missed it (or forgot).

Did you post the details on adding an AUX Audio-Video input, where the A-V could be shown on the Nav screen while parked?

Is it three RCA jacks, standard resolution NTSC video, and stereo audio?

How is that new "Aux A-V" function selected for viewing?

Thanks, Gary


You haven't missed anything because I haven't posted details, mainly because I haven't done it on the Leaf yet. I have done it on other Nissan vehicles with the same head unit.

It is three RCA jacks carrying standard NTSC composite video (yellow) and stereo audio (red/white)

Selection is via the source button on the head unit; on some Nissan vehicles the Aux option is already included but no physical input and on others some reprogramming is required to add the Aux input to the list of sources in addition to adding the physical connections.

QueenBee
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:14 pm
Delivery Date: 20 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 2062
Location: Bellevue (Seattle), WA

Re: Navi safety override?

Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:12 am

garygid wrote:Has anybody tried "inserting" a "low-speed" pulse train, to make the car think that it is still moving, but slowly?

What speed is slow enough to activate the menus, maybe 1 or 2 mph?

At that "fake" speed, is the GPS positioning still active?


Am I missing something or is the entire purpose of the speed sensor with regards to GPS to provide additional information to increase the accuracy? Thus giving it inaccurate information is still a problem. So even if you faked it with a slow signal you are going to have the same problem only to a lesser degree. When I've driven around with the speed sensor turned off it'll stay still and then every once in a while jump closer to where I am. I assume it uses the speed sensor to fill in the gaps between these updates and augments with the compass and it knows which direction to move you.

Anyway, I do like the idea of a light so you can tell if you forgot to turn it off. The carkit harness exposes the wires for you and it also resets every time you turn the car off so that's a nice bonus if you do forget to turn the override off. Not sure what kind of circuit you'd need to add for a light though.

User avatar
EVDRIVER
Posts: 6232
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:51 am

Re: Navi safety override?

Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:20 am

bdl99 wrote:
garygid wrote:Maybe I missed it (or forgot).

Did you post the details on adding an AUX Audio-Video input, where the A-V could be shown on the Nav screen while parked?

Is it three RCA jacks, standard resolution NTSC video, and stereo audio?

How is that new "Aux A-V" function selected for viewing?

Thanks, Gary


You haven't missed anything because I haven't posted details, mainly because I haven't done it on the Leaf yet. I have done it on other Nissan vehicles with the same head unit.

It is three RCA jacks carrying standard NTSC composite video (yellow) and stereo audio (red/white)

Selection is via the source button on the head unit; on some Nissan vehicles the Aux option is already included but no physical input and on others some reprogramming is required to add the Aux input to the list of sources in addition to adding the physical connections.



When you say the same head unit you mean the Clarion unit, correct? Are you sure this is the same unit as other Nissan models
Forum Moderator

bdl99
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:36 pm
Delivery Date: 24 Mar 2012

Re: Navi safety override?

Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:27 am

EVDRIVER wrote:
bdl99 wrote:
garygid wrote:Maybe I missed it (or forgot).

Did you post the details on adding an AUX Audio-Video input, where the A-V could be shown on the Nav screen while parked?

Is it three RCA jacks, standard resolution NTSC video, and stereo audio?

How is that new "Aux A-V" function selected for viewing?

Thanks, Gary


You haven't missed anything because I haven't posted details, mainly because I haven't done it on the Leaf yet. I have done it on other Nissan vehicles with the same head unit.

It is three RCA jacks carrying standard NTSC composite video (yellow) and stereo audio (red/white)

Selection is via the source button on the head unit; on some Nissan vehicles the Aux option is already included but no physical input and on others some reprogramming is required to add the Aux input to the list of sources in addition to adding the physical connections.



When you say the same head unit you mean the Clarion unit, correct? Are you sure this is the same unit as other Nissan models


Correct, the units are not identical physically, pins are move around and configured slightly differently with different versions of the software but the internal hardware is the same.

bdl99
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:36 pm
Delivery Date: 24 Mar 2012

Re: Navi safety override?

Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:44 am

QueenBee wrote:
garygid wrote:Has anybody tried "inserting" a "low-speed" pulse train, to make the car think that it is still moving, but slowly?

What speed is slow enough to activate the menus, maybe 1 or 2 mph?

At that "fake" speed, is the GPS positioning still active?


Am I missing something or is the entire purpose of the speed sensor with regards to GPS to provide additional information to increase the accuracy? Thus giving it inaccurate information is still a problem. So even if you faked it with a slow signal you are going to have the same problem only to a lesser degree. When I've driven around with the speed sensor turned off it'll stay still and then every once in a while jump closer to where I am. I assume it uses the speed sensor to fill in the gaps between these updates and augments with the compass and it knows which direction to move you.

Anyway, I do like the idea of a light so you can tell if you forgot to turn it off. The carkit harness exposes the wires for you and it also resets every time you turn the car off so that's a nice bonus if you do forget to turn the override off. Not sure what kind of circuit you'd need to add for a light though.


The speed sensor is really for dead reckoning and does help with the accuracy, but given improvements in the GPS technology and the fact the position is overlaid on a map the need for dead reckoning is less important these days (It is useful for things like going through tunnels etc). If you think about the portable devices like TomTom etc, they do not have the speed sensor and do a pretty good job without it.

The thing is at the moment the navigation system doesn't even bother to check the location via satellites if it doesn't think you are moving. If we could trick the system in to at least using the location from the satellite the hope would be that it would be a lot better than nothing.

The question is of course how important this all is, because if the only reason for enabling the bypass is to enter a location or use an otherwise disabled function then is the fact the location isn't updated for the few seconds an issue.

Regarding the light, I would be happy to add a light to the circuit if that is what people want (it will only add a few cents to the cost). The question of course is where to mount it and I would look for something that can be easily mounted. I know you already have a kit, so I will make sure whatever I come up with that I will find some way of easily retrofitting to your kit.

User avatar
EVDRIVER
Posts: 6232
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:51 am

Re: Navi safety override?

Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:15 am

You mean like how the LEAF says you arrive at the destination two blocks early :lol: :lol:
Forum Moderator

User avatar
Ingineer
Posts: 2737
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:09 pm
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 6969
Location: Berkeley, California
Contact: Website

Re: Navi safety override?

Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:21 pm

garygid wrote:1. Cut the wire and bring out both ends, as if you are adding a switch. At the same time, bring out a Ground (and 12v if relatively easy).

2. Use a scope (inverter or battery-powered) to measure the pulse shapes, and frequency, at the Menu-enabling speed.

3. Connect a "slow-speed" pulse generator th the Nav input and test out the GPS and LEAF function at higher speeds.

4. Try switching between the "real" and "low-speed" signals.

5. If it all works, make a small circuit to generate the "low-speed" signal, and wire it and the "real" signal to a SPDT switch.

6. Presto!


Of course this could be done old-school with a LM555, but a microcontroller would be far better and likely less component count. Maybe I'll combine this feature with my 3N ("Nissan No-Nag") add-on to the head unit. I've figured out how to remove the nag message, but the installation requires substantial dissassembly of the unit and soldering (at present).

If this can all be combined into one, then maybe the installation hassle is worth it!

-Phil
Easily Learn Electricity HERE! - - - - Website: http://evseupgrade.com/ - - - - Like us on Facebook: EVSE Upgrade

bdl99
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:36 pm
Delivery Date: 24 Mar 2012

Re: Navi safety override?

Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:53 am

Ingineer wrote:Of course this could be done old-school with a LM555, but a microcontroller would be far better and likely less component count. Maybe I'll combine this feature with my 3N ("Nissan No-Nag") add-on to the head unit. I've figured out how to remove the nag message, but the installation requires substantial dissassembly of the unit and soldering (at present).

If this can all be combined into one, then maybe the installation hassle is worth it!

-Phil


Ah, the good old 555 timing chip, haven't used one of those in a while. The first thing of course is to see if this approach is even going to work.

Regarding the Nag screen, does the enter button on the steering wheel (or any other buttons) not get rid of the nag screen? That would be a lot easier to simulate and minimize the amount of dis-assembly required. I know that approach works on other Nissan's but not checked the leaf.

User avatar
TonyWilliams
Posts: 10066
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:48 am
Location: San Diego
Contact: Website

Re: Navi safety override?

Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:40 am

bdl99 wrote:Regarding the Nag screen, does the enter button on the steering wheel (or any other buttons) not get rid of the nag screen? That would be a lot easier to simulate and minimize the amount of dis-assembly required. I know that approach works on other Nissan's but not checked the leaf.


No, it doesn't match my Infiniti G37, where I can use my left thumb on the wheel to press enter. The LEAF's Clarion A/V uses an older version of the Microsoft firmware. Maybe that saved Nissan $2 per install?

There are currently two methods to handle the nag screen; physically press the button on the screen, or press any other button to ignore it. Or do nothing, I guess.

Return to “Music / Navigation / Handsfree”