Bluetooth phones not tested by Nissan yet

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FigLeaf

Hello,
Has anybody tried a phone not on Nissan's recommended or rejected list?
Was it successful?
I am particularly interested in Motorola Droid Pro.
However, I think, compiled list of any phones not tested by Nissan yet would benefit all.
Thanks,

There's a list? :D Maybe if you could provide a link to it some of us might know what you're talking about...

I've been using a T-Mobile G2 and the only issue I experience is that Bluetooth audio stops working after I make a regular Bluetooth phone call. Putting the phone in airplane mode and back out again fixes the issue fairly quickly.

I know that a Sony Ericsson Z520a is no good on several counts - won't upload it's phonebook to the car and also interferes with the car's communications with CarWings.

Apple's iPhone 3GS has been pretty good. The only issue I've seen with it thus far is that it doesn't seem to output audio via USB unless you plug the USB cable in after the iPod app is loaded. But that is probably an iPhone thing rather than a LEAF thing.

FigLeaf said:
Hello,
Was it successful?
However, I think, compiled list of any phones not tested by Nissan yet would benefit all.
Thanks,

I have a Motorola Droid (1st generation) and it works on Bluetooth. I wasn't aware there was a list of specific phones that work and does not work. I have entered only the 5 phone numbers that go with the quick button call. Haven't tried to look into downloading my complete phone book. Other aspects of the operation of the LEAF are more pressing.

DarkStar said:
There's a list? :D Maybe if you could provide a link to it some of us might know what you're talking about...

I've been using a T-Mobile G2 and the only issue I experience is that Bluetooth audio stops working after I make a regular Bluetooth phone call. Putting the phone in airplane mode and back out again fixes the issue fairly quickly.

Nissan has 3 lists for bluetooth phones on page: http://www.nissanusa.com/bluetooth

Select LEAF under 'Find a Phone' menu and you will get recommended and not recommended phones, also there will be a link on the left to view a list of phones currently being tested.
:cool:

Not listed - but Samsung Focus works well with Leaf. This is both for handsfree (phone) and music streaming using AVRCP.

Both my sprint EVO 4G and my wife's Nokia 5230 connected to the LEAF fine. However, priority is not given according to the phone list it seems, unlike all other bluetooth-capable car I had driven.

FigLeaf said:
Hello,
Was it successful?
Thanks,
That list is compiled by Nissan, not by customer submissions. Phones are evaluated and placed on the list as either recommended or not recommended.

My EVO 4g works mostly great.... the only caveat being that at random times connecting to the car causes my phone start playing music via the bluetooth, with no regard for the input on the radio. Sometime I look at my phone and it is playing music, most often it connects and does nothing (which is what I want).

-Matt

The specific versions of Bluetooth protocols which 2011 LEAF supports are:
A2DP 1.2
AVRCP 1.3
HFP 1.0, 1.5
DUN 1.1
OPP 1.1

Most people will care about HFP (hands-free), and A2DP & AVRCP (audio streaming & control protocols).

The Leaf pairs with my BlackBerry Tour (9630), and transferred the phonebook contents just fine.

However, I haven't been able to use the A2DP/AVRCP features via Bluetooth. Is there something additional I have to do?

Also, an incoming call on the iPhone4 causes the Leaf to use the phone's ringtone.
An incoming call on the Blackberry uses the Leaf's own ring sound only.

DUN is a strange thing to see on this list -- what would Leaf do with DUN??

Lopton said:
The specific versions of Bluetooth protocols which 2011 LEAF supports are:
A2DP 1.2
AVRCP 1.3
HFP 1.0, 1.5
DUN 1.1
OPP 1.1

Wow, this is the info I was looking for and didn't know how to ask.
:cool:
Meantime gave up on Droid Pro (Leaf's Customer Support refused to speculate when test results will be available) and bought LG Cosmos Touch few days ago.
According to phonedog.com this phone has Bluetooth v2.1+EDR Supported Profiles: HSP 1.2, HFP 1.5, OPP, FTP, PBA, A2DP 1.2, AVRC 1.3, MAP).
Basic features work fine, no dropped calls.
Didn't test anything advanced yet.

FigLeaf said:
According to phonedog.com this phone has Bluetooth v2.1+EDR Supported Profiles: HSP 1.2, HFP 1.5, OPP, FTP, PBA, A2DP 1.2, AVRC 1.3, MAP).
You can stream music through to Leaf and check whether you see the MP3 metadata (album etc) on the Leaf console. That tells you AVRCP 1.3 is working or not ...

GroundLoop: I don't remember the specifics right now, because my car hasn't come yet (couple more days), but in testing with another's LEAF, I recall there was one LEAF menu path that would connect the phone via HFP only and another path to connect both A2DP/AVRCP and HFP.

Samsung Vibrant (T-Mobile) works. This is the same phone branded as Galaxy S on some other carriers. It's running Android 2.1-update1. The car uses the phone's ringtones for incoming calls.

Streaming music to the car via Bluetooth works partially. Selecting Bluetooth source with the console button activates the phone's MP3 player and it begins playing the last selection and position you were at on the phone. The center screen shows a play and pause button but these don't work, nor is there any way from the console to see and select tracks. You can however select any tracks, albums, or playlists from the phone and they will play over the car speakers.

Well, Nissan refused to give me an estimate when Moto Droid Pro test results will be known, I gave up and bought LG Cosmos Touch. Basic functions of Bluetooth work well, didn't try any audio yet.

LEAFfan said:
So your phone doesn't have to be on the list, just the protocols for that phone?
Your phone doesn't have to be on the list to work; showing up on the list just means Nissan tested that phone and it worked well enough to make their list (which is pretty short right now, though).

Bluetooth can be tricky. The SIG is still busy enhancing existing protocols, like AVRCP, and developing new ones, so yes, the list of protocols+versions supported is a factor in what kinds of experiences you'll get with a given phone. But the way the phone or your Bluetooth peripheral (LEAF in this case) implements the protocol matters, too.

There are so many different phones now available all over the world, from a bunch of phone OEMs. Your best bet is to just try your phone when you get your LEAF. Pair it with the car, and try a hands-free call in an area where your phone has good coverage. If your phone supports A2DP+AVRCP, pair the phone again to enable Bluetooth audio between your phone and LEAF, and try streaming music.

The OS in your phone is a big factor affecting interop, but there's more to it than that, so your mileage may vary. I know one thing: Windows Phone code named "Mango" works great with a LEAF. ;) Windows Phone 7 works fine, too, but only supports AVRCP 1.0 like the iPhone.

My HP/Palm Pre works great with the LEAF, both hands-free and audio streaming.

I have a Touchstone inductive charger sitting just forward of the cup holders which works great, too. That said, for short trips I often just leave the phone in my pocket. When I start (power-up? boot?) the car, it automatically connects to my Pre and resumes whatever music was playing previously.

I haven't paired my wife's phone yet, as I've heard that the Nissan doesn't have a 'preferred' phone setting but will always pair to the most recently used phone. Sounds like a bit of a pain to have to deal with. I wonder if there might be a way to address this with software on the phone...

Back