SiriusXM trial is for 6 months, not 3.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy3

FYI

I thought the SiriusXM on LEAF's came with a three month trail, so my time would be up soon. But they told me it comes with a six month trial. And the trial started when it was at Long Beach (December 10, 2010 in my LEAF's case).

I've been debating if I wanted to keep it (I like some of the comedy channels). Their 800-number people told me if I wanted to get a special deal (like $77 per year), to call their Customer Satisfaction Department at 1-866-519-7570.

Well, I've flipped through the stations twice and unfortunately I'm not impressed... I would probably get it if the audio quality was better, but instead I think I'm going to work on a way to hook up a hard drive in the LEAF that can be accessed from my wireless network so I can just move my music library over...

Randy3 said:
FYI

I thought the SiriusXM on LEAF's came with a three month trail, so my time would be up soon. But they told me it comes with a six month trial. And the trial started when it was at Long Beach (December 10, 2010 in my LEAF's case).

I've been debating if I wanted to keep it (I like some of the comedy channels). Their 800-number people told me if I wanted to get a special deal (like $77 per year), to call their Customer Satisfaction Department at 1-866-519-7570.

Good to know. I think I'm leaning towards keeping the traffic, if nothing else. It's been terribly useful in gauging how bad my commute is going to be and whether I should duck into the ride-share lane or not for any given stretch of it.

Randy3 said:
...a special deal (like $77 per year)...
Sounds like $77 too much to me. I kinda wish car manufacturers would stop putting these in. I feel like I'm subsidizing XM just by buying the freakin' car.

BTW, the Volt people have been complaining that none of the "special deals" seem to include the traffic.

Only channel I've been listening to is BBC. I guess I can get it by syncing their podcasts instead ...

mwalsh said:
Good to know. I think I'm leaning towards keeping the traffic, if nothing else. It's been terribly useful in gauging how bad my commute is going to be and whether I should duck into the ride-share lane or not for any given stretch of it.

I found XM navtraffic to be inaccurate and slow to update. If it was free I wouldn't complain but I expect a lot more for $10 a month. Meanwhile I found google map (on my phone) traffic to be much easier to view and more accurate, although still not as accurate as sigalert.com

I wish traffic is handled by carwing instead, that way it is somewhat justified to pay after 3 years period is over.

DarkStar said:
I would probably get it if the audio quality was better
Back in the 101 channel days, the audio quality was much better; back in the Lee Abrams days, the programming was much better. I'll have to test the LEAF's XM next time I rent the Hertz LEAF, although I was happy to play my own MP3s from a flash drive last time.

mwalsh said:
evnow said:
Only channel I've been listening to is BBC.

BBC1? BBC2? BBC3? BBC4? BBC5? BBC6? BBC7? BBC Heaven?

I like XM for long trips, but the Leaf isn't my long trip car. I wonder if the subscription percentage for the Leaf will be less than average. OTOH, the Leaf driver is more likely to be affluent and less price sensitive.

In case you haven't checked out channel 131, it is BBC World Service. The same that many NPR stations run at night. Quite refreshing when you compare it to its XM neighbors like Fox News and CNN.

AmarilloLeaf said:
OTOH, the Leaf driver is more likely to be affluent and less price sensitive.

In case you haven't checked out channel 131, it is BBC World Service.

I knew that, I was just teasing EVNow/trying to be clever (those are lyrics from a song). FAIL?

This LEAF driver is pretty well tapped out - $680 a month payment, combined with two unpaid furlough days a week at work do not an affluent owner make.

In the Sacramento area with occasional trips to the Bay Area, we have found the "NavTraffic" on our Volt extremely worthwhile. It is not always perfect, but it is sure better than the "traffic service" on my portable Garmin and TomTom units.

So, at this stage, I have made about six (6) calls with XM radio to extend the complimentary service period on BOTH our Volt and Leaf for the full 3 years of our leasing period with each car. I "think" I now have this locked, and for a 3 year traffic subscription, I was able to get each car at $124 total for 3 years or around $41/year/car.

So far, since we use our Leaf for local commuting, and simply have not yet been caught in anything traffic-wise, it is not clear if the Leaf "traffic warning" works as well or identical to the Volt, so some of you might be able to enlighten me on this:

Our Volt "Navtraffic" via XM will interrupt regular radio ANY time there is a reported traffic issue on the road ahead. The Volt gives us audio updates automatically if there are traffic slowdowns or accidents and even reports which side of the road the damaged vehicles are using. Will the Leaf "traffic" also give such direct audio warnings if/when we finally encounter such problems ahead?

TIA,
George in W. Sacramento

Advice I received when looking at XM on another vehicle -

If you are interested, wait for XM to send you an invoice, and then pay that invoice with a check. If you pay online, over the phone, or the invoice with a credit card you are enrolled in auto-renewal.

Apparently if you do signup for auto-renewal - you then have to call them and cancel if you don't want the service any more. When you call to cancel, they will offer you a "special" renewal rate to keep you as a customer. If they don't - chat them up about the service being too expensive to see if that will get them to offer you a special rate.

mwalsh said:
evnow said:
Only channel I've been listening to is BBC.

BBC1? BBC2? BBC3? BBC4? BBC5? BBC6? BBC7? BBC Heaven?

LOL ok, this is OT, but I just read this book "Between a Rock and a Hard Place" (about the guy who cuts his arm off? film "127 Hours" is based on him) and these same lyrics were going through his head for about 43 hours straight.

Randy3 said:
FYI

My XM trial just came to an end today....a little over 3 months since I took delivery. So not sure where the 6 month trail came from, but not true in my case. So far no call or message to contact if I would like to add the subscription.

Ready2plugin said:
Randy3 said:
FYI

My XM trial just came to an end today....a little over 3 months since I took delivery. So not sure where the 6 month trail came from, but not true in my case. So far no call or message to contact if I would like to add the subscription.

I got the original information from calling the 1-866-519-7570 number and giving them my SiriusXM radio code. They read off the activation date and the end-of-trial date for me during the call.

Ready2plugin said:

I'm 3.5 months in and mine is still going.

I called XM today and gave them my info. It seems that the trial IS 6 months but when Nissan enables it can make a big difference in how much you actually get. Some cars were apparently enabled as much as two months before the customer actually took delivery. It would make more sense, under those circumstances, for the dealer or customer to enable it when they take delivery of the car...

mogur said:
I called XM today and gave them my info. It seems that the trial IS 6 months but when Nissan enables it can make a big difference in how much you actually get. Some cars were apparently enabled as much as two months before the customer actually took delivery. It would make more sense, under those circumstances, for the dealer or customer to enable it when they take delivery of the car...

If my trial isn't 6 months from the day I take delivery, I'll complain like you haven't heard. If Nissan enabled it 2 months before delivery, that's not MY problem. It's nice to have, but expensive....I'd demand my two extra months.

Back