Handheld phonebook inaccessable

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindaK

Here's a new weirdness that I haven't seen discussed yet.

My Android phone (HTC Incedible, not that it matters) pairs flawlessly and works well in the LEAF with one new exception. I never know if I am going to be able to access the handheld phonebook or not. Phone is usually in my pocket. Most, but not all of the time, it is no longer a choice on the screen menu. What's up with that? And since the voice recognition is so lame, I've reverted to making the call from the phone (not good).

Have others experienced this too? Should I be visiting the dealer (again)?

My problem is that the contact list in my phone is much larger than the anemic one that Nissan allows. Thus, it won't upload it at all. I think there limit is something like 300...

LindaK said:
Here's a new weirdness that I haven't seen discussed yet.

My Android phone (HTC Incedible, not that it matters) pairs flawlessly and works well in the LEAF with one new exception. I never know if I am going to be able to access the handheld phonebook or not. Phone is usually in my pocket. Most, but not all of the time, it is no longer a choice on the screen menu. What's up with that? And since the voice recognition is so lame, I've reverted to making the call from the phone (not good).

Have others experienced this too? Should I be visiting the dealer (again)?

I've had a hell of a time attempting to access my handheld phonebook from the car, so I've just programmed in the couple common phone numbers I call directly into the LEAF. BTW, I'm using a T-Mobile G2.

Bberry Storm 2 uploaded flawlessly. Also re-establishes the Bluetooth connection within about 5-10 seconds every time I start the car. No bluetooth complaints.

Now if I could only "accept" the Carwings once permanently, for myself, my heirs, and my assigns.... :lol:

garygid said:
The Handheld Phonebook (at least the part copied (loaded) into the LEAF) is not available when moving, right?

Seriously? So the only way I can access my phone is by voice? I can't make that %$#& system understand me. Is there vocal recognition training software buried in this system somewhere??? :(

LindaK said:
Seriously? So the only way I can access my phone is by voice? I can't make that %$#& system understand me. Is there vocal recognition training software buried in this system somewhere??? :(

That I don't know...I LOVE the voice activation in the LEAF. The only problem I have with it is that you can't interrupt the gal, and have to wait for her to run through all the available options with you before you can choose the one you need.

mwalsh said:
The only problem I have with it is that you can't interrupt the gal, and have to wait for her to run through all the available options with you before you can choose the one you need.
Manual Boy here (meaning, I don't have my Leaf yet, so I have to experience of the Leaf through the rest of you and through the manual) - are you sure you have to deal with this? Page 8-8 of the Navigation System Owner's Manual talks about a couple of voice options that might help. I am having a little trouble parsing it (without having experienced the system) but there are two options that might help in Settings -> Others -> Voice Recognition:

• Direct Command Mode -- lets you say the full command, instead of waiting for each option
  • Minimize Voice Feedback -- switches the system announcement mode to "short mode"

My problem isn't the speed at which the voice activated calling runs. It is that I have had only ONE successful call. She never recognizes the names I'm saying, and gives me the weirdest choices. I don't think my voice is too high/low/accented. She just doesn't understand. I've tried talking faster/slower/more enunciated....no luck. And it seems I can't select a name from the screen. Aargh!

I turned both on shortly after getting the car and it makes it more palatable, but I have to say that it is still one of the poorer implementations of voice recognition I have seen in a current vehicle. Not being able to enter any addresses other than ones ALREADY in the previous destinations address book for the Nav is another significant VR failing. Heck, my many years old Acura can do that... I suspect it was a cost of processing power and memory consideration.

JasonT said:
  • Direct Command Mode -- lets you say the full command, instead of waiting for each option
  • Minimize Voice Feedback -- switches the system announcement mode to "short mode"

JasonT said:
I've just been hoping that it will let me trigger the PHONE'S voice commands since those work quite well.

JasonT said:

Cool! I love you manual boy!

A bit of clarification for Gary and Linda....Gary is correct that manual use of the phone system is limited to the Vehicle phonebook when the vehicle is moving. But by voice all systems are available at all times. Sorry for the confusion and for disparaging Gary's good name. :lol:

No, it does not pass voice commands to the phone, or at least I've not been able to get it to do so on my Android. And I agree with you, the VR on my phone works great in comparison.

davewill said:
JasonT said:
I've just been hoping that it will let me trigger the PHONE'S voice commands since those work quite well.

Back