How is sound system quality in Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stunt822

How is sound quality in Leaf? Should I plan to junk factory speakers right away or give them chance?

it depends, if you are used to maggies, i'll say junk it. actually, anything is junk if you are used to magnepans for that matter :lol: But seriously, I was not that impressed with the sound system in the LEAF. It sounded a tad better than your run of the mill econobox sound system. There is no openness in the sound, it sounded flat, but that is just my opinion.

trentr said:
it depends, if you are used to maggies, i'll say junk it. actually, anything is junk if you are used to magnepans for that matter :lol:
I doubt any dynamic speaker system can offer the transparency and speed of the ribbon or electrostatic. I don't think they is anything other than dynamic drivers in auto.

Agreed. The Harman Kardon system in my BMW is heads and tails better than the system in the Leaf; even the Bose system in our Acura is much superior.. I had a chance to bring a test CD I use and play it in the Leaf on a couple of my test drives so I was able to get a good "feel" for it...

trentr said:
it depends, if you are used to maggies, i'll say junk it. actually, anything is junk if you are used to magnepans for that matter :lol: But seriously, I was not that impressed with the sound system in the LEAF. It sounded a tad better than your run of the mill econobox sound system. There is no openness in the sound, it sounded flat, but that is just my opinion.

I thought whoever was saying XM radio was flat was crazy, but I agree: XM sound is VERY flat. Using my iPhone as an audio device is slightly better, but not by much.

On a scale of 1-10. I'd give the Leaf about a 4 or 5. :|

MrZorg said:
Yeah, I agree. It's OK but not great. The JBL system in my Prius is much better.

And the Bose sound system in my wife's Altima Hybrid is WAY better than the JBL system in my Prius :p Too bad the SL option didn't include a sound system upgrade. With a car so quiet, you'd think they'd want to show off good sound. Or is it just me?

So, would a change to JBL or Bose speakers make a substantial difference for low-level listening?

I think the JBL system in my 2010 Prius is nicely clear, for example for cell-phone use while driving.

garygid said:
So, would a change to JBL or Bose speakers make a substantial difference for low-level listening?

I think the JBL system in my 2010 Prius is nicely clear, for example for cell-phone use while driving.
I don't know, Gary--seems to me like the audio for the Bluetooth in the Prius comes from somewhere under the dash next to the steering column. Doesn't sound like it comes from the JBL sound system, but maybe that's how they have it programmed. It it pretty clear, though.

gascant said:
Too bad the SL option didn't include a sound system upgrade. With a car so quiet, you'd think they'd want to show off good sound. Or is it just me?

You've got it backwards; they put nice sound systems in noisy vehicles to help mask the ICE. In the leaf they didn't have to go to this length because there is almost no noise! =)

Gotta agree with Gascant here. The quieter a vehicle the more you will hear the deficiencies in the audio system.

Ingineer said:
gascant said:
Too bad the SL option didn't include a sound system upgrade. With a car so quiet, you'd think they'd want to show off good sound. Or is it just me?

You've got it backwards; they put nice sound systems in noisy vehicles to help mask the ICE. In the leaf they didn't have to go to this length because there is almost no noise!

garygid said:

My brother did car audio installs at a high-end shop for many years. I'll be seeing him tomorrow and will get his opinion on what will make the most difference for the least money. I'd like better sound, it seems "thin" (as audiophiles put it), but I don't want to spend a fortune either... And definitely don't want to replace the factory radio system! I'll post back any info I gather and any upgrades I undertake.

MrZorg said:
garygid said:

My brother did car audio installs at a high-end shop for many years. I'll be seeing him tomorrow and will get his opinion on what will make the most difference for the least money. I'd like better sound, it seems "thin" (as audiophiles put it), but I don't want to spend a fortune either... And definitely don't want to replace the factory radio system! I'll post back any info I gather and any upgrades I undertake.

Replacing the stock speakers, adding some good tweeters and possibly a sub is a great cure for a system like this. My Prius sounded halfway decent to begin with, but the addition of a small under-seat sub made a huge difference, and cost less than $100. The car still appears completely stock, so little chance someone's now going to smash my window at some point.

Maybe we could start a thread on "LEAF Sound System Upgrades" (or am I behind the times?). I for one would appreciate learning about what others did. I installed XM Satellite Radio in my Prius and have never regretted it (even though I feared pulling out the back seat and all the plastic trim to do it at the time).

I don't listen much to music or radio in my car any more. I now listen to podcasts (and email) from my Android phone, so I'm hoping that I will be able to do streaming bluetooth via A2DP from my phone to the audio system. Sound quality is much less of an issue for these.

Stunt822 said:
How is sound quality in Leaf? Should I plan to junk factory speakers right away or give them chance?
It's only vanilla. No where near enough bass at low volumes. Randy and I are eyeballing a Bazooka system add on and mount it in the "trunk." No firm selection yet.

Malcolm :geek:

leafme said:
It's only vanilla. No where near enough bass at low volumes. Randy and I are eyeballing a Bazooka system add on and mount it in the "trunk." No firm selection yet.
How does that work ? Do you to install a new crossover as well ?

Back