place to mount amp

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golfcart

I am finally off warranty on my 2015 S and want to put some bass in the trunk. Nothing expensive or crazy (the wife said I can spend a couple hunrded bucks), just a 10" tube and small amp (150W RMS bridged).

I planned to install the amp under my passenger seat since it is less than 2.5" thick but I was shocked to find out that even that slim amp doesn't fit under the seat due to the low clearance.

The amp is roughly 8" x 7" x 2.5" and I have identified two likely spots for mounting.

1) Somewhere visible in the hatch area either up against the back of the 40 seat (60/40 split) or surface mounted on the plastic against the side of that bubble that sticks out.

2) In that little compartment where the compressor and fix-a-flat jar currently live. I would just carpet a piece of plywood, cut it to fit the space, and mount it to the metal using the existing hole in the ridge. I would just put the compressor and jar in my EVSE carry bag since that never gets used for the EVSE anyways.

Any thoughts, particularly about #2? I am a little worried about airflow in there and the amp getting hot in the summer. I do think it'd be a nice clean install though and completely out of sight which is nice. I don't really like the surface mount in the trunk option that much just due to the looks of it but it would certainly be the easiest to access the amp and give it good cooling.

HerdingElectrons said:
Why not just use a powered sub tube? It's been decades since I did car audio but that sounds like the easiest option.

There are a couple of decent cheap powered options from bazooka or MTX that would do the trick and that would be the easiest option but I already have a quality passive 10" alpine speaker in a tube so I am trying to work with what I have.

The powered tube is an option, as well as a traditional box with a built in amp. The side panel is an option, you'll just have to verify you've got enough room since the inner metal panel is shaped somewhat like the wheel well in an arc shape. If you're going for the hidden aspect it's an excellent option and most amps that aren't pushed terribly hard will be fine in terms of heat.

golfcart said:
HerdingElectrons said:
Why not just use a powered sub tube? It's been decades since I did car audio but that sounds like the easiest option.

There are a couple of decent cheap powered options from bazooka or MTX that would do the trick and that would be the easiest option but I already have a quality passive 10" alpine speaker in a tube so I am trying to work with what I have.

Fair enough, how about buying an amplifier board & converting your existing sub to a powered one?

https://www.parts-express.com/cat/audio-amplifier-boards-modules/3464

HerdingElectrons said:
Fair enough, how about buying an amplifier board & converting your existing sub to a powered one?

https://www.parts-express.com/cat/audio-amplifier-boards-modules/3464

I've already got a small Kenwood amp too...

I kind of like the idea of the cubbie hole and I think i could make it work with the right bracket.

But if that doesn't work out you do bring up an interesting point. I could mount the amp on the back of the tube to make it essentially an amplified subwoofer. I just worry about the amp being damaged from the vibrations over time if it is mounted to the box, this is also a reason I was always a bit skeptical of the powered tube to begin with. I have always heard mixed reviews about the reliability of that setup.

Thanks for the suggestions it'll give me some options this weekend when I'll finally have some time to work on it.

I ended up making a storage bin out of 2x4s and plywood that covers the entire floor of the trunk. The top compartment is 12x24" and holds the amp. The bottom part is 17x36" and holds my evse, jumper cables, golf balls, and a small toolbox.

I fixed anchored the bin using the two bolt holes that I'm assuming are there for the SL subwoofer and the holook where the factory evse bag mounts then put the factory carpet on top of the bin. You honestly wouldn't know the bin was under there if you weren't pretty familiar with the car since the trunk just lost a few inches of depth.

Finally i mounted the 10" bass tube in top of the bin against the back seats and secured the tube with straps going through the "latch" child seat hooks. All and all I'm pretty happy I spent about $40 making the bin but the clean install and utility of the added storage are worth it IMO.

Back