Any value to keeping factory stereo

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScutMonkey

I purchased a 2015 yesterday and contrary to the dealers statements and as I suspected, I can't stream podcasts from my Android phone via Bluetooth.

I'm consider installing a new head unit. What functionality would I lose if I did that. Can I still use the USB port for anything, for example?

ScutMonkey said:
I purchased a 2015 yesterday and contrary to the dealers statements and as I suspected, I can't stream podcasts from my Android phone via Bluetooth.

I'm consider installing a new head unit. What functionality would I lose if I did that. Can I still use the USB port for anything, for example?

If you bought a S, you can replace the head unit with an aftermarket unit. If you have a SV or SL, you are stuck with the factory unit.

Save yourself a big headache.... Forget about changing or modifying your radio.....

If you must, get a Bluetooth receiver to audio and plug it into the aux jack. Then your phone will synch whenever you get into your car..

or

Get a nice Bluetooth speaker(s) that can work on 12v. Put them in the back... They are so plentiful and easy to use..

i just load up all my music on to a USB stick and plug it into the USB port. the phone things never worked very well and was too clunky and problematic (probably because of me) but if you are in a car you need less not more distractions. It should be easy and fast with no clicking and check on connections etc.

baustin said:
If you bought a S, you can replace the head unit with an aftermarket unit. If you have a SV or SL, you are stuck with the factory unit.
OP must have an S, because streaming audio from Android works just fine on an SL (and I would assume SV, since they use the same radio).

DuncanCunningham said:
what aftermarket radios can you put in a Nissan Leaf anyway?

See post #2: just about anything that will match that DIN opening.
I have streamed music via Bluetooth (multiple iPhone models) in my SV since the day I bought it with no issues.

Sorry yes, I have an S. My concern is that I will lose functionality if I pull the deck. Is it safe to assume the app functionality is not tied to the stereo?

I would use the USB stick, but I'd have to manually transfer over my podcasts everyday and that's a non-starter. The android app I use for my phone has a "car mode" with big ole buttons to smash when I want to do anything.

powersurge said:
Save yourself a big headache.... Forget about changing or modifying your radio.....

If you must, get a Bluetooth receiver to audio and plug it into the aux jack. Then your phone will synch whenever you get into your car..

or

Get a nice Bluetooth speaker(s) that can work on 12v. Put them in the back... They are so plentiful and easy to use..

I'm an idiot. I already have one I use to make a set of headphones wireless. I'll give that a whirl.

Back