Amplified Sub Install

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

branflakes104

Hey guys I'm thinking about installing my sub from my old car. Nothing to fancy a 10in MTX with a 200 Watt Amp in a very small enclosure. I've read where people run the power wire down the passenger side of the car using the gromet behind the glovebox next to the rear windshield washer fluid hose.

2 questions...

1 How did everyone safely route the power wire from the driver's side to the passenger side of the engine compartment? Every car I've installed up to now the battery has been on the same side as where I ran the wire into the vehicle. I don't see anything good to piggyback and zip tie. I don't think Air Conditioning lines are a smart call because one gets super hot and the other gets super cold.

2. Where is everyone grounding? I typically run a small self tapping screw in the trunk pan and put RTV or silicone over the screw head. With all the electronics in this car I don't know if there are batteries or anything under there to worry about.

My plan for the audio is to tap the speaker wires in the B-Pillars and my amp turns off and on automatically when using line level inputs.

I still need to take, then post, pics of my sub project.

Anyway, yes, grommet behind glovebox for power wire.

In the "engine" (motor?) compartment, I can't say what exactly I zip tied the power wire to, but i did not attach to A/C lines for your reasons given.

Grounding was the bolt in the spare tire area that is used for the strap that holds the softcase in place (for the Nissan EVSE).

I also tagged speaker wires in the B pillars behind the front seats (really, more like beside the seats, where the seat belt(s) attach)

Front Left (+) Blue / Grey
Front Left (-) Violet

Front Right (+) Red / Grey
Front Right (-) Brown / Grey

Rear Left (+) Violet / Grey
Rear Left (-) Light Green / Grey

Rear Right (+) Light Green / Grey
Rear Right (-) Pink / Grey

Access to the speaker wires is also easy: pop the upright trim piece behind the front seats. Speaker wires are the only twisted pairs in the loom, colors match, and easily accessed where they enter the door segment.

12 volt trigger for amp i ran from cig lighter (sorry, not a cig lighter these days...) i mean the 12 V accessory port under the radio!

Good luck on the project. Mine was also a transplant from my previous car (2004 Prius). two 6" Panasonic subs in custom boxes (they fit UNDER the front Prius seats, not gonna happen in a Leaf) with an older Kenwood 200 W amp bridged mono. Sounds nice but not a thumper by any stretch. Takes the stress off the wimpy factory speakers trying to produce bass. I hate clipping!

Everything for the Leaf now resides behind the rear seats but under a false floor i built. yeah, pics would explain this better. Maybe when the rain stops...

Back