Calling all car audio experts - Aftermarket system missing mid-range causing listener fatigue

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pc500

I just completed my car audio install and while it sounds great, it seems to me missing a discrete portion of the spectrum. It seems as if the low-mid range is absent, causing listener fatigue and strange sounding music. While some music with a discrete mid-tone line makes this very noticeable, it also can be noted and observed through playing anything with high quality speech (IE: a newscast). In this case the speech doesn't sound wholesome, fulfilling, and covering the who spectrum. The typical female voice is ok, but the lower male voice sounds off.

Any ideas on where to start to fix this?

My setup is:

2013 Nissan Leaf SL.
Audiocontrol LC7i tapping into the Rear door speakers
JBL Amplifier
Polk audio db6501 speakers

Any easy way to check this (meter, or otherwise) without tearing apart the door panels, dash, etc again?

Yes, my first thought also was a polarity issue. The only way I have found to simply test the polarity in the past was by connecting a AA battery, and watching which way the cone of the speaker moved. You need to make sure that all the speaker cones move the same direction, out vs in. There are some high end audio analyzers that will detect a speaker with reversed polarity, but I doubt you have access to one.

Did you fix it? If not, you can get phase test mp3´s to check if you got the polarity right.

Back