How to enable nav functions while driving?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stvcisco

Some navigation functions get disabled when driving so the driver is not dangerously trying to type an address while in motion. But what if there is a passenger able to enter data safely? Is there a way to turn off this feature?

DNAinaGoodWay said:
No, sorry. Annoying isn't it?
Yes! I need to get off the highway and park to put in an address when my passenger is willing and able. Ridiculous. There's a sensor to tell if a passenger is present because it warns if their seatbelt isn't on, so why not use the same sensor to only disable nav if there is no passenger? Perhaps a software upgrade could come along in the future.

Thanks for your response.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=3815&start=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Snip one wire to pin #28 of the NAV unit and install a switch.

I agree our nav is not the best. I did not renew the XM traffic as it was inaccurate as well. But the other day, I noticed an update for the Nav. It did make several changes, one being the posting of the last 3 turns now auto show unless you manually change. Anyone else notice?

Step 1) Buy Garmin/TomTom/Magellan with lifetime maps.
Step 2) Buy mount of your choice.
Step 3) ...?
Step 4) Profit! (by not paying $179 or whatever for map updates)

Seriously... the nav unit is mostly OK in there, but I still keep a Garmin in the glove box as backup. Cost half as much as the map update would've, and it's got maps for life. The Garmin doesn't care if you're driving or not, and I don't really need to look at it for directions (I can look at the built-in nav's screen and just listen to the Garmin's directions and most of the time that seems to work out reasonably OK).

I have a Garmin with Lifetime maps and Traffic that I bought several years ago for my truck. It works well and I like it. The one in the Leaf may not be the best, but it works fine for what I need. My only complaint, so far, is the out-of-date maps. I did a chat with them a few weeks ago, and was told the current map update is about a year old. I asked when the next update would be, since I was not willing to pay $179 for old maps. They took my information and said they would put me on the list to be notified when the next update was released. One current map update should handle my needs for several years.

Hope this doesn't derail the conversation too much, but does the map update SD card replace the original SD card? If so, it might not be that expensive to update if you're willing to sell your used SD card (a lot of cars going through auction don't have an SD card, and someone told me that the dealers can reprogram an existing SD card to work with a different LEAF).

No, sorry, never heard that. If I recall, every story on here where someone needed a new SD card the dealer had to custom order one from Clarion for their NAV. The dealers couldn't do a thing other than order in an expensive replacement.

We just got our LEAF earlier today and I like the Nav system, but definitely don't like shelling out for map updates. I pulled a Garmin 3590 that comes with traffic and free lifetime map updates so I'll hang onto that for a while. I really like the traffic function in it, especially given Seattle's butt ugly traffic at times. The Garmin will propose rerouting options with the approximate amount of time you'll save in doing so and that's been a real blessing at times.

John

Back