USB in the Arm Rest Compartment

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BooKittyLeaf

Would like to have a USB in the armrest storage compartment .

So I can plug in my iPod and leave it in the arm rest compartment without having the cord running along the seat to the Armrest compartment where I keep my iPod

Dont like leaving iPod in that little shelf by the existing USB is so people can see it & want to break my window to steal it

Unplugging it & stashing it every time I drive the car is a PIA

Thanks

Has anyone put a USB in the armrest compartment?

I would like to keep my iPod in that compartment, plugged in so its always connected and out of sight.

Dont like leaving it plugged in and on the shelf by the USB plug - someone will eventually break a window to steal it.

Unplugging & stashing every time I drive the car is a PIA.

How hard is it to lift/remove/open the console?

Branch off the current USB and run a 2nd USB plug to the inside of the Arm Rest Compartment?

Thanks.

Not difficult at all. In fact, you don't need the whole console out at all (at least if you install the USB port in the forward part of the compartment). Just remove the finisher around the shift knob and the part of the console that holds the OEM USB ports (both parts just pull up and away) and you'll do just fine.

You can do what I did with mine. Simply get a 3' black cable, plug it in to the USB port on the forward console, and route it back to the glove box where the iPod lives... Invisible and out of the way.
I did this rather than using a USB stick because the Leaf Infotainment system did such a poor job of handling USB media...

BooKittyLeaf said:
Do you know of any posts or links with Pics of removing those parts, or, perhaps an expanded view of the parts?

There are some pictures of the dismantled shifter area in my LED Shift Knob How-To thread:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=14069&p=320256#p320256" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And here is some stuff from the service manual:

console1.jpg

console2.jpg

BTW, I differ with the service manual in that I think it's best to get under the console finisher at the front with a narrow tool of some kind (preferably with some protection against marring, as seen in the picture on the other thread).

I recently bought this nice 200W inverter on eBay for $20, which comes with two 120V sockets and a 2.1 Amp USB port. The best thing about it is that its cord is just long enough to run from the cigarette lighter to the back of the armrest. I ran the cord along the center console and armrest along the passenger side, covered it with black Gorilla tape, and then fastened the inverter itself to the back of the armrest using industrial strength Velcro (and more black tape, although I'm sure it could be more professionally/permanently mounted back there).

Anyway, it is very secure and works beautifully for my needs -- one of which was similar to those of the "OP". Namely, to have fewer cords up front and to be able to keep my phone out of sight. Maybe I'll upload a picture later to let you see how "custom" it looks... in spite of being installed with Velcro and "Duck tape". ;-)

BooKittyLeaf said:
Would like to have a USB in the armrest storage compartment .

So I can plug in my iPod and leave it in the arm rest compartment without having the cord running along the seat to the Armrest compartment where I keep my iPod

Dont like leaving iPod in that little shelf by the existing USB is so people can see it & want to break my window to steal it

Unplugging it & stashing it every time I drive the car is a PIA

Thanks

Thanks - great ideas.

I like the Inverter idea, I might just go that route - but I will search for something with a couple 12v plugs and a USB as that would work better for me than a 110 inverter.

Back