iPhone Text Messages

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmfraz

Hi Everyone!

I just got me Leaf Friday evening and loving it! Installed my 220V charger today too :)

I have my iPhone connected via Bluetooth. When I get a message, it will pop up and tell me. I tell it to read it and it reads the date and time (annoying) as well as the message. It does not tell me who sent it. I can't seem to figure it out! It's driving me CRAZY!

Any ideas?

cmfraz said:
Hi Everyone!

I just got me Leaf Friday evening and loving it! Installed my 220V charger today too :)

I have my iPhone connected via Bluetooth. When I get a message, it will pop up and tell me. I tell it to read it and it reads the date and time (annoying) as well as the message. It does not tell me who sent it. I can't seem to figure it out! It's driving me CRAZY!

Any ideas?

Hah, and here I thought it would be something I would truly miss (reading text messages through the car is something new for the LEAF, my '12 doesn't do it with an iPhone; but of course my ICE VW does, as well as let me know who its from) so sorry no idea … I'm sure someone with a brand new one can chime in. I would imagine it does at least mention that you have one and then ask you to read it or not … not identifying could be related to pre-loading your phones contacts but could be wrong; if w/o that I would think it would give you the phone number sending the text.

EDIT: one interesting side note -- my company required us to switch from Windows Phone 8 to iPhone 5s a number of months ago; we have 4 cars so had to recall this (new email system) and I wasn't just imaging it but the WP8 phone would automatically ask if I wanted it to read any new text messages through the built-in BT in my '12 SL LEAF (has the navi system, etc.); not so with iOS, not sure why but just won't do it. Also, while driving in today, did notice a 'data' tab looking through some settings (while of course stopped at a light) but believe this is related only to CARWINGS connection as its set to AT&T (automatically).

Perhaps this might also be different depending on the phone's OS (anyone with a '15 LEAF happen to have a WP8 or Android device and has listened to text messages?)

Welcome. Glad you're having fun with it.

I hope to pick up a '15 SV this week, and I'm hoping the manual would tell me what is possible to set for text to voice but I haven't gone looking for a manual online yet.

A time stamp might be useful, the date probably less so.

I have a 2015 with an android phone (Sony Z Ultra) and it shows me and reads me the contact info of who the text message is from. So the fault may lie in the way the iphone shares the info with the leaf. However I have noticed that the ability to get text messages is hit or miss. A lot of the time it will tell me that the phone is still syncing, a few times it has told me that this option is not compatible with my phone. The few times It has told me it's waiting I flip my phone into airplane mode then back to force it to reconnect and this sometimes solves it.

I get no response at all when I recieve a text. If I try to send one, it says I can't if my phone is connected. :evil: Maybe because it's an iPhone 4? Will have to try it with my wife's iPhone 5.

cmfraz said:
Hi Everyone!

Any ideas?

How did you get it to read a text? I tried and failed. Called LEAF support and they say it won't work with Bluetooth on an iPhone. Say they're working on an update to fix it. I grumbled about lost use of a feature and they're sending me a $200 gift card for parts or service. Go figure.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
cmfraz said:
Hi Everyone!

Any ideas?

How did you get it to read a text? I tried and failed. Called LEAF support and they say it won't work with Bluetooth on an iPhone. Say they're working on an update to fix it. I grumbled about lost use of a feature and they're sending me a $200 gift card for parts or service. Go figure.

Assuming the 'combo' you're mentioning would be on your '15 LEAF and an iPhone 5 using iOS 7.1.2 correct ?

redLEAF said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:
cmfraz said:
Hi Everyone!

Any ideas?

Assuming the 'combo' you're mentioning would be on your '15 LEAF and an iPhone 5 using iOS 7.1.2 correct ?

Yup, the '15 and my wife's iPhone 5 ver 7.1.2 (11D257), car says text to speech not available for this phone. Manual totally useless. Will have to check google and youtube.

I'm using two iPhone 5Ss - iOS 7.2.1 & iOS 8

Check Settings > Bluetooth > hit the i next to your Leaf > Make sure show notifications is on.
I also have a Pebble Smart Watch, for notifications to show, you have to have them show in notification center too.

DarkStar said:
FYI, the phone reads the text message over Bluetooth - the car isn't reading the message, it just receives the Bluetooth audio from the phone.

Nope. This is the head unit, not Siri.

cmfraz said:
I'm using two iPhone 5Ss - iOS 7.2.1 & iOS 8

Check Settings > Bluetooth > hit the i next to your Leaf > Make sure show notifications is on.
I also have a Pebble Smart Watch, for notifications to show, you have to have them show in notification center too.

DarkStar said:
FYI, the phone reads the text message over Bluetooth - the car isn't reading the message, it just receives the Bluetooth audio from the phone.

Nope. This is the head unit, not Siri.
Interesting, I use an app on my Android phone to read out things like phone numbers and text messages - the same audio comes across via Bluetooth to the car when it is on. I'll have to play around with the vehicle settings...

I turned on notifications as advised and now it will read texts received, even on my iPhone 4, which also runs ver 7.2.1, but, it fails when I try to send a text in reply. But that's progress. And they're still sending me the $200 card.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
I turned on notifications as advised and now it will read texts received, even on my iPhone 4, which also runs ver 7.2.1, but, it fails when I try to send a text in reply. But that's progress. And they're still sending me the $200 card.

Is it telling you who sent the message?

cmfraz said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:

Gives phone # and date and time, but I haven't uploaded contacts yet, or tried to figure out if I can set that. May be we're stuck with it, not sure yet.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
cmfraz said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:

Gives phone # and date and time, but I haven't uploaded contacts yet, or tried to figure out if I can set that. May be we're stuck with it, not sure yet.

Mine only reads date and time. No phone number. I've uploaded my contacts.

Back