iPhone Contact Field Mapping in The Leaf Not Correct

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Recycledoug

When one uses voice recognition in the Leaf to make a phone call it would be nice to be able to say the first name FIRST followed by the second name SECOND... But when you download contacts from an iPhone 5 the last name always appears FIRST in the LEAF handset phonebook... So when I try to make a phone call with voice recognition I have to say the last name FIRST followed by the first name.....

I have tried every setting possible on the iPhone and can never get the first name in my iPhone to show up FIRST on the handset phonebook in the LEAF....

Nissan called me today to review this. Basically they said I need to put first names of contacts in the LAST NAME contact field in my iPhone.... And put the last name in the FIRST NAME FIELD of my iPhone contacts.... What this tells me is that Nissan has a field mapping issue with the iPhone 5.....

Has anyone figured out how to properly get your contact names in the LEAF without having to improperly input names into your iPhone contacts???? Or perhaps is it Apple that has the problem????

I have the same problem with Android phones. My guess is that there is a lack of standard as to which field comes first, and Clarion made one assumption while most cell phones made the other assumption. I did a web search and found out that a few other cars have the same issue, too.

Note that the dialing book that you use hands-free is stored in the Leaf, not in the cell phone. You copied it to the Leaf as part of the setup process. So if you could figure out how to edit that contacts list swapping first & last before moving it to the Leaf, then restore it to normal on the phone after, you should be all set. Of course, that's easier said than done with a long contact list.

By the way, the Leaf voice recognition is not great, so the shorter your contacts list, the better. That gives it fewer names to guess from.

Bob

I think you are being too kind. It needs to improve substantially before it even makes it to the level of "not great..." Even in the 2015.

Bob said:
By the way, the Leaf voice recognition is not great, so the shorter your contacts list, the better.

Thank you for your comments regarding your Android. I talked to a friend that use to work at Apple. He indicated that the issue for sure is with Nissan. His comment was that Nissans needs to obtain full access to the iPhone "features". I am not technical so features was not the name he used. But he did say that there is a limited amount of free access that is available to companies to communicate with the iPhone.... However to abstain the full "features" of the iPhone the company needs to buy a licensing agreement... And Nissan / Clarion probably has not done so for what ever the reasons.

All I can say is that all of my other vehicle have no issue with the First name - last name sequence in voice recognition... The Nissan for sure does... Hopefully Nissan will come up to speed with the other car companies and get this issue resolved.

I guess my other question is do ALL Nissan vehicles download the contacts the same as the Leaf? I would assume that they do..... IE Last name first..... Which means the VM sequence needs to be last name first....

Back