Auto Door Locking

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought that was the normal behavior. It usually locks when you hit 15 mph. Anyway, here's the scoop for turning it off and on:

pic

P.S. Please delete the duplicate topic you created for this.

I tried the manual method as I don't know what a 'consult' is and guess its something you buy for analysis of the car. Anyway turned everything off, turned the car on and then pressed and held the lock/unlock button (it was in unlock mode) no flashing lights or anything. tried it a few times but no joy no single or double hazard light flash. I will ask at the garage next time I'm down there as I really like the doors to lock once I'm motoring. But thanks for the help anyway, all the best - Steven

hmsganges69 said:
I tried the manual method as I don't know what a 'consult' is and guess its something you buy for analysis of the car.
See Consult Kit at http://www.nissantechmate.com/equipment/essentials_products.php?type=nissan#3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. You might find poking around at http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/home.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; interesting.

The OP is in the UK and this could be a UK or Euro-specific feature (or lack thereof). Last I checked, it is illegal to drive in Germany with your doors locked, and perhaps Nissan implemented this EU-wide.

Thanks for the replies, in the end I took it to my Nissan dealer,,he tried to change the lock state in the same way, same result .... nothing !. He is going to check it out again when I next visit but use the diagnostic kit on it. Re not being allowed to drive in Germany with locked cars, I'm in England contrary to popular belief we ain't part of Europe !. Its just wishful thinking on behalf of the political classes, and Europeans of course !.

My auto locking works when I drive up to speed, but what I REALLY want is to have the car lock the doors automatically if the car's off and there's not a key fob detected in the car for 15 seconds. Essentially, if I walk away, lock it down. The fact that my keychain never leaves my pocket results in me forgetting to lock up the car probably 25% of the time. :|

samcrut said:
My auto locking works when I drive up to speed, but what I REALLY want is to have the car lock the doors automatically if the car's off and there's not a key fob detected in the car for 15 seconds. Essentially, if I walk away, lock it down. The fact that my keychain never leaves my pocket results in me forgetting to lock up the car probably 25% of the time. :|
This is what I was looking for, too. I'm getting used to not taking the fob out of my pocket and occasionally I've forgotten to press the door lock/unlock button.

I like the idea of a self locking car when you walk away from it but knowing my luck it will lock with the keys still inside it !. I would prefer the car to beep at me if I walk away with the key in my pocket without locking it up - how's that for a solution ?....still doesn't get my doors to lock as I drive away though does it !!!!

Considering that a Central Valley family is suing BMW because a family member was intentionally locked in the car from the outside (so she can take a nap undisturbed) and was unable to get out, I doubt any car manufacturer will implement such a feature, at least in lawsuit-happy America.

Imagine your infant or pet being accidentally auto-locked inside of the car and now in your state of panic can't find the keys?

I would presume that the doors would always be unlockable from the inside.

A nice feature on my Passat is that the door unlocks from the inside just by pulling the handle a second time.

(I speak as someone who, years ago, managed to lock my keys in my running car late at night in the middle of nowhere in the mountains of PA.)

jlv said:
I would presume that the doors would always be unlockable from the inside.

That's why I specifically mentioned infants and pets...which would be unable to manipulate the door handles.

Plus in the BMW lawsuit (mentioned elsewhere on this forum), supposedly when that model BMW is locked from the outside, the car CANNOT be unlocked from the inside. I presume it's to thwart people trying to use a slim-Jim from opening the car.

Back