New Google Maps won't send to car

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat

The title says it all. The Help section says that the functionality will be restored, but doesn't say when. It also says something about changing one's profile or settings so that when it does become available, that function will be available when one logs in, but I couldn't find the place to check that box if there is one.

When someone figures out how to do this, please post it here. I use Google Maps a lot with my Leaf.

I agree...I don't like the new google maps. Can't figure out how to get several of the old functions working, and I suspect they may be gone forever.

I guess you mean the Android app for Google Maps. Send to Car stopped working when Google removed lots of useful map features in the last major update. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jvanier.android.sendtocar The work around is to send from a desktop, or somehow make sure that the browser version of Google Maps doesn't detect you're on a phone or tablet and neuter all the best features, and send from there instead of using the map app.

From the desktop it was always a bit hidden:

Find a place.
Click the link icon at the top right of the left text bar
Click "Send" in the popup menu
Click "Car"
Verify Make and MyAccount (CarWings user name)
Click "Send"

Still works for me.

maybe its browser dependant, but in chrome (that I use) its been completely updated for desktop and the link icon is gone. There is some of it if you use the settings icon in the bottom right of the screen, but not all the original functions are there.

Switch back to the old Google maps. On the desktop look at the bottom right and there is something like a help or chat icon. Click on it and there is an option to switch back to classic map.

DanCar said:
Switch back to the old Google maps. On the desktop look at the bottom right and there is something like a help or chat icon. Click on it and there is an option to switch back to classic map.

Nice, and they allowed me to enter why I was going back. Hopefully this will prompt them to put these features into the new version before the remove the ability to stay on the old version.

Yeah, this is a big mistake in my opinion. Given the (bad) user interface of the LEAF NAV system, I always try to use Google maps for setting up a new destination and route from home, and LEAF Link when on the road. I use a MacBookPro and three browsers pretty much independently: Apple's Safari, Mozilla's Firefox, and Google's Chrome.

Firefox is still showing the original features with a warning message:

"Send to Car will be changing soon. Sign in and save your device to your Google account to ensure continued access. Learn more."

Safari does the same, with same warning.

With Chrome, I've opted for the classic look and have explained to Google why. Like other posters, I hope this incents Google to return the functionality, or for me it will be LEAF Link all the way.

i dont like it either. i HAVE to use it nearly every day and want it to default to directions and have yet to figure that out. since getting S I dont send to car any more and actually stopped using that feature in my SL. my phone is my nav guide for the most part.

DanCar said:
Thank you, DanCar, I was looking for such an option. +1 for mynissanleaf.com.

Rat said:
DanCar said:
I spoke too soon. Yes, you can click on that icon and switch back to old Google Maps and there is now a Send option. Unfortunately, that only allows you to send to email, not to the car, so it's useless.

It's worth checking maps.bing.com regularly as well. Who knows they might finish adding this feature before Google decides to add it back.

Rat said:
Rat said:
DanCar said:
I spoke too soon. Yes, you can click on that icon and switch back to old Google Maps and there is now a Send option. Unfortunately, that only allows you to send to email, not to the car, so it's useless.

If you sign in, the send to car is still there.

walterbays said:
... or somehow make sure that the browser version of Google Maps doesn't detect you're on a phone or tablet and neuter all the best features ...
How do you do that :?:
Been using a Note 3 for three months, and the most irritating thing about it is Web sites treating it as a mobile device and some sites give you no means to request the non mobile version :(

Rat said:
Rat said:
DanCar said:

ya, the old map is not the real old map. I waited until I verified this on a few different computers but routes planned on the old maps do not automatically get saved across the Google Platform. This is a HUGE hassle because I plan routes for work EVERY day and then finding I have to punch them in on the road is dicey at best. I only use Voice Control while driving but nav'ing that way is a crap shoot due to Indian Placenames and Google's inability to understand "non-white" terminology

TimLee said:
walterbays said:
... or somehow make sure that the browser version of Google Maps doesn't detect you're on a phone or tablet and neuter all the best features ...
How do you do that :?:
Been using a Note 3 for three months, and the most irritating thing about it is Web sites treating it as a mobile device and some sites give you no means to request the non mobile version :(
In Chrome, to the right of the address bar, there is an icon with three vertical dots. Tap it and check "Request desktop site"
If your screen is too small or the processor too slow, always showing the desktop version may not be good.

This feature has been broken for me for around a year. I can "send to car" alright, but the response every time is, "Sorry, we were unable to send this message at this time. Please visit the help page." And you can guess how helpful the help page is :(

Rat said:
DanCar said:
+1 THANKS!!

Well, today I tried it and the classic view of Google Maps does have the send to car feature in both Chrome and Firefox.

DanCar said:

Big thanks DanCar for the tip and it is indeed working for me now on Safari and Firefox. When I switched back, the software asked why I was doing so, and I explained that I wanted the feature. I don't know if any of these feedback comments actually have an impact but I believe that if enough users respond to the feature loss, it will return. Then later in another session I was surveyed about what I thought of the new maps, and again I waxed poetic about why I didn't.

At the very least, I hope Google continues to make the classic version available.

Back