Page 2 of 5

Re: 1000 WATT Stereo Install - New Tweeters, New Drivers + S

Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:59 am
by UBUYGAS
Well the system has extreme amounts of power. concert level power. You really don't need 1000 watts to enjoy good sound in the LEAF. I have 100 watts by 4 and 600 at the sub. I would expect that 50 to 75 per speaker and 300 at the sub would be plenty.

The stock doors have no sound proofing, just a clear plastic film that is between the door panels and steel.

If I turn it up all the way you can hear your ears being destroyed. It's not safe and is purely for showing off, to beat the goof next to you in his Jeep. :lol:

Does the Dynamat stop volume from escaping at those levels. No. it cannot, there's glass and air seems it escapes from.

But the dynamat does do its job. If I knock on the doors they sound deep and muffled, like it's a 78 Caddy with heavy steel doors.

I did order more Dynamat and will add at least 6 SQFT of it to the trunk. The Sub I bought is really powerful!

If you want to do it right, spend $65 for 12SQFT of Dynamat and install 2 to 3 SQFT per door. for the doors and trunk I'd say you need 15 to 18 SQFT in Total for the whole LEAF.

You can buy it on eBay for much cheaper than your local stores. The 12SQFT package cost me $65 and a 36SQFT box was $140 shipped.

Lasareath



absln wrote:how loud is the car from the outside, and does the dynamat make any difference from stock? Having the radio on at even a reasonable level sounds louder on my leaf that it does on other cars - i suspect it has no soundproofing at all.

Re: 1000 WATT Stereo Install - New Tweeters, New Drivers + S

Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:07 am
by kikbuti
I'm jealous. I am leasing my 2013 Leaf SL, so I am limited on upgrades. Back in the day, I won first place in Crank-it-up car audio contest. I really enjoyed the process of designing custom car audio. After I retire, I will probably do it again. I still have a few amplifiers and some dynamat. I also have a 7 channel crossover/equalizer that I am anxious to use in a car.

There is nothing like great sound in a car. It's almost as good as and in someways better than a good set of headphones. People think about the loudness that these systems can create, but the flat response and the ability to recreate a full realistic soundstage at normal levels is the best feature.

Re: 1000 WATT Stereo Install - New Tweeters, New Drivers + S

Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:22 am
by UBUYGAS
That's one of the reasons I bought. I like to mod the car.

I just bought almost exactly the same gear for my Wife's Prius C.

Same Polk Audio drivers. Same LC2i. One 5 channel JL Audio amp. 75x4 & 300x1

And a smaller JL Audio sub. It's going to Rock as well. 600 watts!

Re: 1000 WATT Stereo Install - New Tweeters, New Drivers + S

Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:57 pm
by JeremyW
I have a 200W-ish Alpine with a 10" kicker sub (ported truck enclosure that I've had in three cars now) in my '12 and just unloading the heavy bass from the stock speakers does wonders. In my little BMW 318ti I ran an amp seprate for the speakers and it was nuts. Be careful with your hearing!!! :)

If I do buy out my lease I'm sure I'll add some dynomat. Would love to make the leaf even quieter! :P

Re: 1000 WATT Stereo Install - New Tweeters, New Drivers + S

Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:58 am
by UBUYGAS
Yeah the 600 watt sub I have is way overkill, but for some music that is bass shy it helps to have that much power.

But I think I needed more amplification because my home speakers have destroyed my hearing already!

Have you seen my home speakers?

www.LASAREATH.com



JeremyW wrote:I have a 200W-ish Alpine with a 10" kicker sub (ported truck enclosure that I've had in three cars now) in my '12 and just unloading the heavy bass from the stock speakers does wonders. In my little BMW 318ti I ran an amp seprate for the speakers and it was nuts. Be careful with your hearing!!! :)

If I do buy out my lease I'm sure I'll add some dynomat. Would love to make the leaf even quieter! :P

Re: 1000 WATT Stereo Install - New Tweeters, New Drivers + S

Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:15 am
by Stellar007
Lasareath wrote:Hello All,

Today I started my Stereo Install,

Here's a List of what I am Adding:

1) New Tweeters in the Pillars
2) New Drivers (Polk Audio MM6510's up front and MM650 in the rear)
3) AudioControl LC2i (takes the high-level speaker output and creates Sub-Out, Pre-Out & Turn-On Remote, Also has patented tech that keep Bass constant even if Leaf HU decreases Bass at high volumes)
4. (2) JL Audio Amps - XD400/4 & XD600/1
5. All new speakers cables run from trunk to each door and sub.
6. JL Audio HO110-W6v3 (600 Watt Sub!)
7. Dynamat at each door
8. All wires Power, Ground & Speakers are from KnuKonceptz.com
9. All Power Distribution blocks and fuse holders are also from KnuKonceptz.com



Today I started running the power cable, I chose Orange to match the LEAF's high voltage cables.

I installed the New tweeters and the MM6510's in the Front doors, I used 3SQFT of Dynamat per door.

Tomorrow I need to run the back speakers and hook everything up in the trunk.


Here's a Quick layout that I drew up on how I will lay out my gear in my trunk:

Image


Here's a video of the sub I bought:



Here's a Video of my 4 channel Amp:



Here's a video of my Sub Amp:



This Video shows the driver that's in my Sub:



This Video Shows off the AudioControl LC2i




Here's 45 pictures that I took today so far:

http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm

Sal
aka Lasareath


This post and pics were great in upgrading my 2013 Leaf. I wanted to add a couple things I found for others who may be looking at this and want different options.

1) Regarding pic #1-5 and using the unused grommet. There is also an unused grommet on the driver side, to the left of the parking brake and just to the left of the hood release cable. It is not as easy to get to (I took out the parking brake to get more room), but, then your power cable is on the same side of the engine compartment as the battery (2013 battery on the driver side- not sure about other models) and you don't have to route power cable around the entire engine compartment. Just another option for folks.

2) Regarding the great pics you posted, #10 and #11 on the GREEN TAB. I was able to take it off without cutting it. Once you have the panel out as far as it can (5"-6"), take a needle-nose pliers and grab the middle flat part of the green tab carefully rotate it 90 degrees and it will release. Presto- no cut tab and thus the airbag will deploy as it should. Otherwise, this pillar piece will come rocketing to you and your steering wheel airbag and possibly prevent them both from working correctly.

Cheers!

Re: 1000 WATT Stereo Install - New Tweeters, New Drivers + S

Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:57 am
by UBUYGAS
Thanks for the praise!

You didn't happen to take any photos of this grommet on the drivers side?





Stellar007 wrote:
This post and pics were great in upgrading my 2013 Leaf. I wanted to add a couple things I found for others who may be looking at this and want different options.

1) Regarding pic #1-5 and using the unused grommet. There is also an unused grommet on the driver side, to the left of the parking brake and just to the left of the hood release cable. It is not as easy to get to (I took out the parking brake to get more room), but, then your power cable is on the same side of the engine compartment as the battery (2013 battery on the driver side- not sure about other models) and you don't have to route power cable around the entire engine compartment. Just another option for folks.

2) Regarding the great pics you posted, #10 and #11 on the GREEN TAB. I was able to take it off without cutting it. Once you have the panel out as far as it can (5"-6"), take a needle-nose pliers and grab the middle flat part of the green tab carefully rotate it 90 degrees and it will release. Presto- no cut tab and thus the airbag will deploy as it should. Otherwise, this pillar piece will come rocketing to you and your steering wheel airbag and possibly prevent them both from working correctly.

Cheers!

Re: 1000 WATT Stereo Install - New Tweeters, New Drivers + S

Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:12 pm
by evnow
Never used more than a few amps on my main speakers ... at home. Fairly inefficient speakers, at that (ML).

Re: 1000 WATT Stereo Install - New Tweeters, New Drivers + S

Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:48 pm
by UBUYGAS
Stereo systems are one of my hobbies. If you search for my handle online you'll find most of my hits are stereo system related.

At home I have 600 watts per channel into speakers that handle 1200. Need to upgrade that one day.

My CD player weighs 54LBS!!! Only 500 were made.

It's actually a Super Audio CD player or SACD. It plays specially created SACDs at 4X greater detail than regular CDs.

This site shows my home speakers. www.Lasareath.com

Sal



evnow wrote:Never used more than a few amps on my main speakers ... at home. Fairly inefficient speakers, at that (ML).

Re: 1000 WATT Stereo Install - New Tweeters, New Drivers + S

Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:54 pm
by evnow
Lasareath wrote:Stereo systems are one of my hobbies. If you search for my handle online you'll find most of my hits are stereo system related.

At home I have 600 watts per channel into speakers that handle 1200. Need to upgrade that one day.

Well, as an "ex" audiophile, I was just trying to say quantity <> quality.

To start with - analytically - how flat is your response curve and to what Hz at the low end ? If you haven't checked, get hold of a stereophile cd & a simple dsl meter from ratshack and try it out. You will be surprised.