ProClip Center Mount with iPhone - Review

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaka

Preface: I've had my share of iPhone devices and ProClip mounts. Some of the mounts work better than others it really just depends on the car. I've had a few where I hid the wire but the Leaf lent itself to a nice simple install that required no special routing of wires etc... here is a quick review.

I used the ProClip Center Mount (LINK), but they also make a Left-Side Mount (LINK). Installation is very easy and most of their kits has some double-sided tape as well as curved edges. You can see their install instructions for my base HERE.

The base(s) above work on any Leaf (at least 2012-prior). From there you choose a mount that attaches to that base, specific to the phone or device you want to mount. In my case I used THIS iPhone 5 mount, but you can get whatever device mount you want. Just follow the instructions at the top of their home page: http://www.proclipusa.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My thoughts: first off, unlike some bases, this one is REALLY solid. The one in my Volkswagen never felt as sturdy, but this one is as good as my wife's Audi TT mount was on her old car. And one really nice bonus is that routing the cable between the dash-and-radio bezel (as shown in my attached photo) made for a rather sleek overall appearance. Not shown, but for sake of mention is that I did wrap some extra cable length around the "base" (behind the phone-specific bracket) just to clean up the extra wire. What is nice: the USB works to allow for both audio playing but also charging. Really happy with the overall design and purpose of this item.

For someone who really doesn't like the OE nav, this also works great if you wanted to use Apple Maps, Google Maps, Waze, or any other iOS navigation software. And of course other features that you might need/want for your phone (ie: traveling sales person), this has other huge benefits as well. Highly recommend this for anyone with ANY phone/device... if you have any questions or want more photos let me know. If I can pry my wife's iPhone out of her hands, I could use her phone to take a photo of my phone actually in the cradle ... ;)

Attachments

• 2013-02-01 20.33.37.jpg
    2013-02-01 20.33.37.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 488
Much thanks for the write up and great pics! I just got my leaf and was wondering how to mount my iphone, now I know...
//greg

I just got my ProClip and used the same vehicle mount but used a different iPhone5 holder. I am curious - how did you route the cable? Looks clean and I will try again to route my cable better.

Anyone else interested, you might be able still use the discount code PUMPKIN for free shipping. Hurry!

ttime4four said:
I am curious - how did you route the cable? Looks clean and I will try again to route my cable better.

There is just enough "gap" to the left of the radio to tuck the wire/cable in there, between the thrust-out radio surround and the dash itself. I did have to use a "trim tool" (like radio installers use) to push the wire into the crevice. I can try to take a close-up photo later on if you want. But hopefully this makes sense. Then it just comes up from behind the mount itself up-top ... I had to wrap the wire around the back of the mount 2x or 3x to take up some of the wire slack.... cheers!

I had mine originally "stuffed" along the side as you described, but I looked at it again and went a different route.

Little risk taking here... :)

I lifted the bottom of the whole trim panel and with a gentle force, it popped free. Tilting the bottom back and up, the top latches disengaged. I routed the wire into the opening and stuffed the excess in the space behind the heater controls and re-plugged into the USB connection.

To put the trim back - start at the top and "tilt" it in and the catch will cause it to seat back in. Work it down and push the bottom of the trim to get fully back together. Clean - no excess wires.

ttime4four said:
I had mine originally "stuffed" along the side as you described, but I looked at it again and went a different route.

Little risk taking here... :)

I lifted the bottom of the whole trim panel and with a gentle force, it popped free. Tilting the bottom back and up, the top latches disengaged. I routed the wire into the opening and stuffed the excess in the space behind the heater controls and re-plugged into the USB connection.

To put the trim back - start at the top and "tilt" it in and the catch will cause it to seat back in. Work it down and push the bottom of the trim to get fully back together. Clean - no excess wires.

Looks like I may have damaged the wire -- oops. Back to the drawing board.

Right now - through 10/31, ProClip has a discount code.

10% off orders over $50. 15% off $75. Use code FRIGHT

wsbsteven said:
Do you think the center mount is strong enough to hold an iPad?
I've used a ProClip mount with Brodit's full size iPad2 active mount and it worked fine. Now have the iPad mini in an active cradle and works superbly. Have been using ProClips for years now, never failed me.

This is what I ordered and love it. It's mounted on the dash, directly above the vent that's pictured by the OP. No need to block vent.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008ALV0V4/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Phatcat73 said:
This is what I ordered and love it. It's mounted on the dash, directly above the vent that's pictured by the OP. No need to block vent.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008ALV0V4/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for the recommendation, Phatcat73! I followed your advice and got the Aduro U-GRIP PLUS mount and it fits perfectly on the horizontal, flat surface of the dash above the vents. It's a super sturdy and very clean solution that keeps my phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 3) above the vents - I need the AC here in Texas. If anyone is interested I'll post some pictures.

I just ordered one for my Android phone. I had a couple of ProClip mounts on previous cars and they worked great. Far more expensive than some other alternatives but the most solid dependable professional option in my past cars. I'll let you all know how it works on my LEAF.

Promo code: Saveten to save 10% on your order. The universal phone mount and LEAF specific mounting clip came to like $70 total.

Phatcat73 said:

Looks perfect. Just ordered it on your recommendation.

Back