iPhone iOS 8.4.1 with 2015 LEAF S USB not working ... "Reading files" only

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VinceGlorioso

Hello,
Since my recent (and work mandatory) upgrade from iPhone iOS 8.4 to 8.41, the usual USB connection to the LEAF S' entertainment system has not been working. I plug the phone in, it does start charging and the display says "Reading files" for several minutes, it just stays on the screen and I can no longer play music from the iPhone, not even under manual control.

The LEAF S has been a disappointment, the steel wheels sap range and now, this, the "entertainment center" was never really good, but now I can't use it at all with the iPhone ... I guess I will have to go to an aux cable, now, to play podcasts/music.

Next time I will lease (special order if I have to) a LEAF SV ... I was thinking about just buying and owning a set of 2011 alloy wheels to help with the range problem (I get about 4 miles / kWh instead of about 5 miles / kWh on the 2011 SL I leased as my first LEAF) but now, with this I am thinking going cheap was not the way to go.

I just got a 2015 S and my iphone 6 (ios 8.4.1) streams music over usb without problem using the Music app.
Also, in range tests, virtually no difference could be detected between steel and alloy wheels. Tires, though, do matter.

I'm loving our Leaf, and I hope you will to, again!

I'm running IOS 9.0 Beta, Google IOS 9 Beta and join the Beta program. 2011 Leaf SL and never had a problem with the USB or the Bluetooth running the music off the IPhone.

If you think it's the new 8.4 update, go here and get the 9.0 Beta. You will really like the new battery saver. I went from 9 hours of battery life to 16 hours on my IPhone 6.

Here's the link for IOS 9 Beta. https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/

This release should be out sometime in Sept. Or just get it now.

Fred

Not to sound smart, but with phone plugged in push Aux button till USB is shown on Leaf screen. Car on. Turn phone off and then on. Car should handshake. Turn on tunes and see if that does it. Every now and then my wife or I have had to jump a hoop or two. Very rare but it happens. A poor USB cord can be suspect too by the way. Or... reload iOS as last resort.

One other thing is that if the iPhone uses a lightning connector, make sure that the cable you use is Apple certified, otherwise the phone will just charge using the cable and not move data.

Hello, everyone, and thank you for the replies. I did nothing to change my situation, and, one day it started working and has been 100% reliable since.

I didn't reload or upgrade my iOS, I didn't try another (non-Lightning) cable, it just went back to working.

As far as the range, I am not super critical of range, I just read off what's on the screen. My SL reported 5.2 miles per kWh, my S model reports 4.2 miles per kWh. The reporting is different (touch-screen on the SL vs. push-button on the S model) and the wheels are different (alloy vs. steel) but the tires are the same size and Ecopia stock units, so, I figured I was getting less range ... I don't LEAFSpy or anything, so, I don't measure, I just read the display.

Thanks,
Vince

Back