Mobile Trip Planner?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexK

Hey everyone,
I'm going to be doing some longer distance driving in my Leaf over the coming weeks. 100-200 mile trips. I was wondering what you all used for trip planning. There's obviously EVTripPlanner.com and PlugShare and all that, but none of them have mobile trip planning options.

I'm thinking the optimal trip planner would have:
-start destination
-end destination
-current battery charge
-what kind of car you have
-ability to get a new charger if the one it routed you to is full
-turn by turn nav

Is there anything out there with that capability for mobile? And if not, what features would you want in it?

Looking forward to hearing responses,
Alex

My sense is that you need to do all the planning before hand and not rely on planning with a phone. The phone is great for finding stations and whether they're occupied or not, but it's too small for a big spreadsheet of all the parameters.

Paul Gipe

What parameters do you put in these spreadsheets? I'm a practiced mobile developer and can't imagine that from an input standpoint to a navigation output there needs to be too much data presented to a user.

trip planning, I use Google earth to check the route for elevation changes. I like to have Two options to charge if possible at each stop. have a back road or city streets planed for a back up to slow down and stretch range if needed. driving tips, slower I faster, hold power to 3 balls on the center dash, set check points using leaf spy and Tony Williams' range chart. Figure KWh planed over KWh used, for a point mid trip, so you can check your math and adjust your diving style as needed ( faster or slower). On long trips with a lot of recharges, I use 25mph as an average for distance /time ( drive 60 MPH then charge for 30 min. + time lost) with DC fast chargers. If you stop you need to be charging. Allow time, I have never had a trip go faster then I thought it would. when you stop and eat or shop tell the shops that you are there to charge you car. It should help keep the out of town charging stations up and running. most of all have fun on the adventure.

speedski97 said:
trip planning, I use Google earth to check the route for elevation changes. I like to have Two options to charge if possible at each stop. have a back road or city streets planed for a back up to slow down and stretch range if needed. driving tips, slower I faster, hold power to 3 balls on the center dash, set check points using leaf spy and Tony Williams' range chart. Figure KWh planed over KWh used, for a point mid trip, so you can check your math and adjust your diving style as needed ( faster or slower). On long trips with a lot of recharges, I use 25mph as an average for distance /time ( drive 60 MPH then charge for 30 min. + time lost) with DC fast chargers. If you stop you need to be charging. Allow time, I have never had a trip go faster then I thought it would. when you stop and eat or shop tell the shops that you are there to charge you car. It should help keep the out of town charging stations up and running. most of all have fun on the adventure.

Agree, having fun on the adventure is quite important. Also, your tips are all good sound advice and similar to what I gleaned from reading this forum.

Paul

Back