New Google Maps won't send to car

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I have to reverse myself yet again. Today I tried again to send to car and could not do it. First I tried it using coordinates. That's something I do a lot for my hobby of geocaching. I discovered that even in the Classic View of Google Maps, if you put in coordinates and then click on the little More drop down menu, the Send option appears, but only goes to email. Thje Send to Car option does not appear. So then I put the nearest intersection into the search field and it found it from its own database and presented me with the Car option. I clicked on that and it had my Nissan info already there in the fields from previous cookies. When I clicked Send, though, nothing happened. It was as though I had clicked on a random blank spot in the window, rather than a button. I tried several times and got the same non-response. Finally all I could do was click Cancel. That worked. When I got in the car and downloaded the info from Google Maps, the location was not there. I had also tried using the Route planner from Carwings, but that ended up inserting my destination as a street in another state that had the same name as the street I was trying to select and then when I tried to delete, undo, or close the window, the browser locked up. All I could do was bring up Control Panel and close it that way. By that time I had to go, so I gave up. I ended up using my trusty little Garmin 60Cx in the car.

It is now possible to use the Send to Car feature again if you use Chrome in the Classic View. It won't work for me using Firefox.

I've actually got a button now on the new maps, but it doesn't do anything when you click it. :?

http://i.imgur.com/Au0UVJW.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No longer working in Firefox (version 29.0.1). Don't know as of when, since I haven't needed to do it a while. Appears to want to work, in that the send screen will come up and stuff, but doesn't actually send.

Still working in Chrome Version 34.0.1847.137 m

mwalsh said:
I meant to come back last night and post an update. Although Chrome appeared to work, the data never made it to the car.
This agrees with my experience. I had posted previously that I always got an error from Google; now it "appears" to send, but nothing shows up at the car. I don't think it matters which browser I use.

Lord help me if somewhere it is remembering all the requests I've sent,and one day they fix it :eek:

using Chrome 39 in Windows 7, Google Maps lets me StC, but nothing shows up on my car.
I tried using my Carwings/NissanOwners user name.

I just tried again using my email address to see if that works.

However, the free "Send to Car" iOS app DOES work. And for that I used my Carwings username (not email).

Is there not a free way to StC from an iPhone? (the Send to Car app is $10).

Thanks.

austinleafy said:
using Chrome 39 in Windows 7, Google Maps lets me StC, but nothing shows up on my car.

However, the free "Send to Car" iOS app DOES work. And for that I used my Carwings username (not email).

Thanks.
The "LEAF link" app is free and can send addresses to the car. I've used it for years.

Thanks!
& I got google send to car to work by using the email address associated with my car wings account!

thimel said:
austinleafy said:

Thanks.
The "LEAF link" app is free and can send addresses to the car. I've used it for years.

What about those of us that don't have a smart phone? My only option is Google Maps on Chrome using Windows from my desktop. It says that it sends to car, but when I download from Google Maps in the car, it only sends me the old destination from before the change, months ago. If I try from Google Maps on Firefox I don't even get the initial message that the destination was successfully sent to car. I tried again today, with no luck.

Rat said:
What about those of us that don't have a smart phone? My only option is Google Maps on Chrome using Windows from my desktop. It says that it sends to car, but when I download from Google Maps in the car, it only sends me the old destination from before the change, months ago. If I try from Google Maps on Firefox I don't even get the initial message that the destination was successfully sent to car. I tried again today, with no luck.

Just go back to classic maps and it will work just fine.

oakwcj said:
Rat said:

No, it doesn't work just fine. Please read the previous post. I have the classic maps view, and it appears to work fine when on my computer. I get the message that I successfully sent to the car, but when I download from Google Maps in the car, it downloads the old destinations from about four months ago. Anything I sent to the car since then won't download in the car. This behavior has been verified by other members here. I don't know if the problem is with Google or Nissan.

Sending from google to car was never that thrilling to me even when it did "work". I find it's more straightforward to simply plug in one destination at a time into the nav. Doesn't take that long and there's no wondering or farting around with feeds. How far are you going to go? It worked fine for me on a trip of over 1000 miles.

Rat said:
oakwcj said:
Rat said:

No, it doesn't work just fine. Please read the previous post. I have the classic maps view, and it appears to work fine when on my computer. I get the message that I successfully sent to the car, but when I download from Google Maps in the car, it downloads the old destinations from about four months ago. Anything I sent to the car since then won't download in the car. This behavior has been verified by other members here. I don't know if the problem is with Google or Nissan.

It works just fine for me. I tested it yesterday with two new addresses. Obviously, YMMV and does. I can't explain why we're getting different results. What you're describing is my experience with the new GM.

There is a similar thread going in the Main owners forum. Many there have verified that GM on Chrome will tell you you have successfully sent to car but that when in the car, it will only download old data. No recent Send-to-car destinations are recognized.

As for the suggestion to just enter the destination in the car, that's fine if you just have one street address. In those situations I use it that way. But I use the Leaf a lot for geocaching and typically have 5-15 destinations and they are in the form of coordinates. Google Maps will find coords on its map, but no longer allows coordinates to be sent to car, only street addresses, and even street addresses won't download anyway, so it's useless. Also, there is no way to enter coordinates into the car's nav in the car. So I hold my handheld Garmin GPS unit as I drive and use that. It's sort of potato shaped. I can hold it with both hands on the wheel and without taking my eyes off the road the way I have to with the car's nav. The expensive Leaf nav is outmoded by a $250 8-year-old device. It doesn't give turn by turn voice directions, but it does beep to alert to turns. The GPS unit is not a phone so it's legal. There is a recent court ruling in Calif. that it's legal to use a smart phone for navigation only, but laws change and court don't all agree. Your cop/judge may vary.
http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-cellphone-court-20140228-story.html.

I also have a Nuvi car GPS that plugs into the lighter socket and does give voice directions. It accepts coordinates. It works fine but there is no handy way to hold it or position it so I can see and hear it. The suction cup mount failed on a turn when I used it on the windshield, and that's illegal anyway. There's no good dashboard spot for it on the Leaf, and they are magnets for car burglars anyway if they're visible. I do use it sometimes on long trips in the ICE car if I don't have a passenger because that car doesn't have a GPS. I can set it on the passenger seat, but it tends to slide around, sometimes in the footwell or over the far edge down by the door and become inaudible/out-of-sight.

Hi all,

I successfully used to send to car for a location but now I cannot get that location to delete. Worse, I cannot send any other location since it continues to download the previous one. There seems to be no way to delete it. Carwings only allows me to "play it". Help please.

mgrmln said:
Hi all,

I successfully used to send to car for a location but now I cannot get that location to delete. Worse, I cannot send any other location since it continues to download the previous one. There seems to be no way to delete it. Carwings only allows me to "play it". Help please.

It's been a LONG while, but the way I remember it you have to use the pause button to pause playback and then there is some kind of methodology to delete the entry at that point. I also recall that in only stores a certain number of entries and then starts overwriting the older ones as you send new ones, so you don't really need to erase old ones at all. That may all be complete nonsense, but that's the way I remember it. I can go out to my car later and confirm/refute that if you wish.

Back