it's better on other Nissan cars

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlv

While my Leaf is still waiting on a warranty repair (13 days and counting), I'm now driving a loaner 2013 Sentra (I think an SV with a sticker price of about $18K).

So many things that are annoyances in the Leaf are much better in the Sentra. This includes
  • the performance of the Nav system (it turns smoothly as the car turns)
  • the dpi of the touch screen (image is much crisper)
  • the menu system on the touch screen (just easier to use)
  • the radio controls (although the radio preset touch screen buttons are too small)
  • the location of the USB, aux-in, and extra power plug (in a hidden cubby in the center arm rest)
  • the MP3 player (immediately starts playback; directory layout is just better)
  • the audio quality coming out of the sound system
  • the interior LED "map lights" (much brighter)

This is all in a car with 1/2 the MSRP of my 2013 SL.

It's as if Carwings was spun off an early prototype version of Nissan's in-car system, and because the Leaf version is so customized, it can't benefit from the last 6 years of major hardware and software improvements Nissan has made available for every other car in their line-up. From the looks of it, Nissan's latest version looks even nicer.

And the Leaf doesn't get any of it. :(

It's well-known the console screen is about 10-years behind on the Leaf. It works for what it does, but it's so far from premium quality displays, like on the Model S, that it's really laughable.

I've considered ripping out the entire center console, and replacing it with a homebrew. Unfortunately, because of all of the ties into the car's computer, it's not nearly as simple as it would be on that Sentra, if even feasible.

FWIW, I recall sitting in a Versa Note at the SF Auto Show (earlier this year?) and noted that although it had the around-view monitor, the LCD resolution was very poor and WAY worse than my Leaf. The interior bits also felt very cheap vs. a Leaf, but that's typical of virtually every vehicle in its price range.

I will have to check out a well-equipped Sentra the next time I can.

Clarion tends to supply Nissans their stereos. And, you'll find many parts in Nissans to come from Calsonic Kansei. (OT, but for Toyota, the stereos tend to come from Fujitsu Ten and Panasonic while many parts in Toyotas tend to come from Denso and various parts of Aisin.)

Back