Ability to choose if you can drive the Leaf without key/fob

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLundberg

I live in Louisiana where it's really hot and humid in the summers. Many times I like to leave my Leaf locked and running while I go in to get my meds or pick up a quick sandwich. This way when I return it will be nice and cool when I get back in. It doesn't really take up much energy either.

I was surprised to find out that you can put the car in Drive, Reverse and Neutral without the Key/FOB anywhere near.

It's funny that you need the key/fob to program charge times but don't need it to put it in drive while it's running. Yes I know, "just turn it off and you won't have that problem" or "with most other automobile you can do the same thing"

I feel it would be nice to allow the owner the option to lock-out the ability to put the Leaf in Drive, Reverse or Neutral without the key in or the FOB near. Just a little extra peace of mind...

Thoughts?

John

I handle that one by turning on the climate control from my smartphone after I leave the car. It would be a better solution if the App weren't so clunky, but it works and no one can drive my car away.

davewill said:
I handle that one by turning on the climate control from my smartphone after I leave the car. It would be a better solution if the App weren't so clunky, but it works and no one can drive my car away.

Yes I've started doing it that way also. I really need to create my own app so I can make it just a button on the phone.

JLundberg said:
davewill said:

Yes I've started doing it that way also. I really need to create my own app so I can make it just a button on the phone.

There are 2 apps that make turning on the Climate Control less painful. Still slow, but fewer clicks and hoops to jump through:

LEAF Link: http://itunes.apple.com/app/leaf-link/id542304940?mt=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This one is new and you can turn off the confirmation pop-up so it's one-click action. You still have to wait for the request to send and that takes about a minute.

Green Charge: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/greencharge/id480215136?mt=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Great looking, start charging, climate, and has the useful feature of showing the charge level in the app icon on your home screen so you know at a glance where you're at.

JustinC said:
JLundberg said:
davewill said:

There are 2 apps that make turning on the Climate Control less painful. Still slow, but fewer clicks and hoops to jump through:

LEAF Link: http://itunes.apple.com/app/leaf-link/id542304940?mt=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This one is new and you can turn off the confirmation pop-up so it's one-click action. You still have to wait for the request to send and that takes about a minute.
Green Charge: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/greencharge/id480215136?mt=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Great looking, start charging, climate, and has the useful feature of showing the charge level in the app icon on your home screen so you know at a glance where you're at.

Thanks for the info.

I'm an Android Geek myself. I have several also but none work how I like.

JLundberg said:
I was surprised to find out that you can put the car in Drive, Reverse and Neutral without the Key/FOB anywhere near.

My Prius is the same way. My thinking is that a manufacturer has to design it that way, so if the key fob should happen to die while you are driving the car won't suddenly shift into neutral or park. Liability issues. If the car dies or doesn't maintain power in Drive if it loses communications with the fob, there would definitely be a lawsuit waiting to happen. Theoretically, thinking outside the box here, someone could actually build a jammer, pull up alongside you, cause interference with the fob, and kill your car. :eek:

keydiver said:
JLundberg said:

My Prius is the same way. My thinking is that a manufacturer has to design it that way, so if the key fob should happen to die while you are driving the car won't suddenly shift into neutral or park. Liability issues. If the car dies or doesn't maintain power in Drive if it loses communications with the fob, there would definitely be a lawsuit waiting to happen. Theoretically, thinking outside the box here, someone could actually build a jammer, pull up alongside you, cause interference with the fob, and kill your car. :eek:

I can see your point but the way I was thinking was just not allow it out of park.

JLundberg said:
I'm an Android Geek myself. I have several also but none work how I like.

Have you tried my server?
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=111666#p111666" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Create a shortcut to the URL on your android "desktop" and it's two clicks (One for the shortcut, and one to start the HVAC). I use it all the time in the summer.

There is also an SMS version someone did. search the site for sms and you'll find it.

I'm not sure which way this cuts in the argument, but a number of years ago, when I got my first Prius, I took it in for what I think must have been its 15K service. I covered everything necessary with the service rep, shouldered my laptop, and told him I'd be waiting room when it was ready. A boy drove it into the shop, and about half an hour later they came looking for me. Asked me if I had the smart key.

Ray

Back