New Automatic Trip Odometer - Miles since last charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bturner

I'd love to have a trip odometer that reset to zero every time I charged! Often I get 4 or 5 miles out and notice that I forgot to reset the existing trip odometers manually.

Surely this is just a software change, how about it Nissan?

I reset the trip odometer and m/kWh meter immediately before charging. It's become automatic: push the bottom left and top right buttons simultaneously in the cluster of four, then reach down and pop the charging cover. (I leave the other m/kWh meter on the center cluster alone as a long-term average.)

Ray

planet4ever said:
... (I leave the other m/kWh meter on the center cluster alone as a long-term average.)
I always reset the center console leaving the dash one as a long-term number. I figure that since the center console includes a history, it makes more sense to use it for trip readings.

bturner said:
I'd love to have a trip odometer that reset to zero every time I charged! Often I get 4 or 5 miles out and notice that I forgot to reset the existing trip odometers manually.

Surely this is just a software change, how about it Nissan?

How would you account for a partial charge? Would you want it automatically reset for those times you just charge for an hour or two?

Doesn't CarWings provide this functionality? Once the upgrade to the TCU is made, CarWings accuracy is reported to match the in car values and you don't have to reset anything but yes you do have to press OK on the start of each trip. It would be nice if we could upgrade the firmware with the spare SD slot without having to make a special trip to the dealer. I wonder how we can get a copy of the TSB describing the upgrade?

I vote for a standard tally of miles since last charge and miles "today". I'm craving both. The former is definitely a necessary stat for evaluating the miles per kilowatt from the charger, which only provides a last charge stat. (Okay, it has the monthly stat, too...)

I used to want this when I was logging daily mileage using the trip meter because I would occasionally forget to reset the trip meter in the morning. But I have since quit using the trip meter and just log the actual odometer reading so it became a don't care for me. Since my power meter is integrating (never reset) it doesn't matter for me if I forget to reset anything or even forget to log the mileage and wattage on any given day. That said, I do agree that having a trip meter that is automatically reset does make a lot of sense and trivial for the auto manufacturers to implement.

I think it makes more sense to just add a few more statistics to those that are collected by carwings (like timestamps, charge status, and kWhs received) and just download all of it from the web site. Personally, I reset the one on the center console every day as I try different options to increase my average miles/kWh for my daily commute.

I would certainly be interested in such a feature, especially since I've only remembered to reset the trip odo AND read it before charging once in 13k miles... :lol:

i reset the dash meters every morning when I start out. I also charge nightly except on some weeknds when little driving gets done.

I find it very useful to calculate how I am doing on range along with the m/kwh read out and bars remaining.
i leave the second mileage meter in the dash alone and reset it monthly.

Back