More charging ports... Faster charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drnel

I would devise a split battery design to allow for multiple charging at once. Several intelligent battery charging ports allowing the car to be charged safely in minutes not hours on 120 or 240.

The main problem is where and how to get the (roughly) 48,000 watts of power needed for the charging (200 amps at 240 volts) of a 24 kWh battery in 30 minutes (called 2C charging).

Of course, the problem will just get worse if the battery size doubles (say, to 48 kWh) to increase Range.

Really, much better aerodynamics (less drag) and much lighter weight is required, so that the same energy will take you farther.

I know. How about a "QuickCHAdeMO" that would combine two 240 volt L2 J1772 plugs and combine them into one 480 volt CHAdeMO plug. Using two 30 amp L2 one could charge the Leaf four times faster and even faster with higher current! Of course there is that whole phase thing to figure out and converting AC to DC but I bet it would be an easy weekend project for some of the folks on this board. ;) Now where is a good cheap source for J1772 sockets and CHAdeMO plugs and cables. :D

Spies said:
I know. How about a "QuickCHAdeMO" that would combine two 240 volt L2 J1772 plugs and combine them into one 480 volt CHAdeMO plug. Using two 30 amp L2 one could charge the Leaf four times faster and even faster with higher current! Of course there is that whole phase thing to figure out and converting AC to DC but I bet it would be an easy weekend project for some of the folks on this board. ;) Now where is a good cheap source for J1772 sockets and CHAdeMO plugs and cables. :D
This is closer than you think... The only thing missing is the CHAdeMO specification...

Spies said:
Using two 30 amp L2 one could charge the Leaf four times faster
J1772 already defines up to 80A at 240V through a single connector, which is probably well past the point of dimisihing returns for normal charging. While pulling 50A for a couple hours at an RV park seems appealing now, that is only because there is no public DC fast charge infrastructure in place, yet.

Back