Trip odometer pause

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planet4ever

This is something I've never seen on any car, but then I've only driven economy cars.

I'd like a button to pause, or freeze, the currently displayed trip odometer. It would hold it's current mileage until the button was pressed again while that trip odometer was being displayed. (i.e. pause and resume could be used independently on both trip counters.)

This might be helpful in keeping track of deductible miles (business, rental property, volunteer work, etc.), but at the moment I am thinking of using it to keep a count of freeway miles, or even rush hour versus open freeway miles. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to report something like, "I've gotten 3.7 miles/kWh from the wall based on 782 open freeway miles at 65 MPH, 437 rush hour miles at about 50 MPH, and 521 local miles."

Ray

I've never seen this on any car before myself, but it might exist somewhere... You could, of course, use the two separate trip odometers to do something similar by ping-ponging them.

planet4ever said:
This is something I've never seen on any car, but then I've only driven economy cars.

I'd like a button to pause, or freeze, the currently displayed trip odometer. It would hold it's current mileage until the button was pressed again while that trip odometer was being displayed. (i.e. pause and resume could be used independently on both trip counters.)

This might be helpful in keeping track of deductible miles (business, rental property, volunteer work, etc.), but at the moment I am thinking of using it to keep a count of freeway miles, or even rush hour versus open freeway miles. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to report something like, "I've gotten 3.7 miles/kWh from the wall based on 782 open freeway miles at 65 MPH, 437 rush hour miles at about 50 MPH, and 521 local miles."

Ray

mogur said:
I've never seen this on any car before myself, but it might exist somewhere... You could, of course, use the two separate trip odometers to do something similar by ping-ponging them.
Maybe (a) I'm too stupid to follow your "of course" logic, or (b) I don't understand how the odometers work, or (c) I didn't explain what I wanted well enough.

My assumptions:
  1. The only actions you can take are switch counters and reset them.
  2. Both counters keep accumulating at all times, regardless of which one is currently displayed.

If my assumptions are right, wouldn't I have to write down the number when I did the ping-pong? I'm not interested in trying to write something down while I'm merging onto a freeway. I wanted the trip odometers to keep running totals for me that I could log once a week or once a month.

Ray

I've never seen anything OEM on a car that could do that.

planet4ever said:
mogur said:
Maybe (a) I'm too stupid to follow your "of course" logic, or (b) I don't understand how the odometers work, or (c) I didn't explain what I wanted well enough.

My assumptions:
  2. Both counters keep accumulating at all times, regardless of which one is currently displayed.

If my assumptions are right, wouldn't I have to write down the number when I did the ping-pong? I'm not interested in trying to write something down while I'm merging onto a freeway. I wanted the trip odometers to keep running totals for me that I could log once a week or once a month.

Ray

Can't say I've seen such a feature on a car either - sounds like a job for a Smartphone App. Let the phone track the miles using GPS, tap a button to switch what the current "miles" should be applied to. Browsing through the Android Market there seem to be a couple of mileage tracker apps out there - one of those might work.

planet4ever said:
mogur said:

My assumptions:

Ray
I assume you would zero out the first odometer when you start, then zero the second at the end of the trip you were measuring. You can then retrieve the length of the trip by subtracting the second from the first. Seems simpler to either log it, or memorize it.

I've never seen that feature either - but it's such a brilliant idea I can't believe it isn't already standard equipment in American cars.

It is such a PITA to try to keep track of business miles vs. non-business miles. I keep a log book, but have to remember to note my mileage every single time I either start my drive or end my drive. I keep pens in the car, but half the time the ink is too cold to flow. Then it's hours and hours to calculate everything to get a total for business miles.

P4E - it's a great idea. Wish the car companies were listening.

Would be nice but I keep a daily log of miles and a weekly one and find it a very small effort.

Would it not be easier to nav each business detination instead then upload to program to determine distance?

Back