Read this before starting a new thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

Important : If you want to post an advertisement, deal, for sale or wanted - first checkout this post : http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2692&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1. Take a look at the global stickies and forum specific stickies. They cover a lot of ground. There is also an FAQ started by turbo2ltr.

Reference Documents like Specs, User Manual etc : viewtopic.php?f=37&t=255

Trims, Features, Accessories, MSRP, Invoice Prices : viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1022

Unofficial FAQ : http://wiki.mynissanleaf.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2. Please search the forum for what you are looking for before starting a new thread.

Use the search link at the top. You can either use the custom google search, which gives much better results or the forum search.

3. If there is a relevent thread already, use that for asking the question

4. If 2,3 aren't working out, don't be shy to start a new thread. Take a look at all the forums, sub-forums and decide which is the most appropriate place to start the new thread.

5. If you are a newbie and think the question may be a basic one, start the question thread in the New Member forum.

6. The topic should be as specific as possible. Generic topics may not get responses, and more importantly, will not help others looking to get an answer for the same question later on.

7. If you are posting a relevent news item from another site, make sure to quote a few intereting sentances from that story. Just a link with no quotes isn't very informative.

smkettner said:
I think people with less than 10 posts or less than 30 days should have new thread posts moderated (reviewed before it goes live)

That would be too much work. Amazingly, people on other forums are able to keep topics relatively limited and easy to follow. It is also easy to ask a question on a related thread here as it will be addressed. Every question, thought, comment or PR news release on a vaporware research project does not need a new thread. In fact we should have a PR release thread because they are a dime a dozen.

I have recently been deleting threads from auto dealers advertising here recently. If everyone creates fewer threads this will be easier to moderate and follow. It's really not to difficult to use some discretion and common sense when posting.

I have to say the built in search kinda sucks in phpBB. Apparently "lease" is too common and can't be used as a search term. Sure searching for just "lease" is going to return too many hits, but if you can't even use it in conjunction with other words to narrow it down, it's useless.

It's not hard to add a google custom search box at the top that automatically searches just this site. (see top right of http://www.cnczone.com/forums/index.php ) I bet it would be better than the built in search. And having it displayed prominently at the top of every page instead of a separate search page, might encourage people to use it more often.

as sites grow, so will duplicate topics, parallel threads, etc. if this site can control that, it will be a first for me.

this is the pitfalls of popularity and as the Leafs start "falling from the corporate tree" the increase in traffic will escalate accordingly.

imagine raking leaves amidst a grove of Oaks....frustrating i know, but think of the feeling of accomplishment you will have with a nice clean yard however brief as that wind storm approaches.

turbo2ltr said:
I have to say the built in search kinda sucks in phpBB. Apparently "lease" is too common and can't be used as a search term. Sure searching for just "lease" is going to return too many hits, but if you can't even use it in conjunction with other words to narrow it down, it's useless.

It's not hard to add a google custom search box at the top that automatically searches just this site. (see top right of http://www.cnczone.com/forums/index.php ) I bet it would be better than the built in search. And having it displayed prominently at the top of every page instead of a separate search page, might encourage people to use it more often.

The phpBB search functionality is almost completely useless, and this kind of search is precisely what Google custom search engines were created for. I created one at http://mccurley.org/mynissanleaf/ and it took a grand total of two minutes by going to http://google.com/cse/. You can simply paste this into the template for the page:

<div id="cse" style="width: 100%;">Loading</div>
<script src="http://www.google.com/jsapi" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
google.load('search', '1', {language : 'en', style : google.loader.themes.GREENSKY});
google.setOnLoadCallback(function() {
var customSearchControl = new google.search.CustomSearchControl('009426920518858049978:g8x84g6aqiw');
customSearchControl.setResultSetSize(google.search.Search.FILTERED_CSE_RESULTSET);
customSearchControl.draw('cse');
}, true);
</script>

<style type="text/css">
.gsc-control-cse {
font-family: Verdana, sans-serif;
border-color: #E1F3DA;
background-color: #E1F3DA;
}
input.gsc-input {
border-color: #94CC7A;
}
input.gsc-search-button {
background-color: #AADA92;
}
.gsc-tabHeader.gsc-tabhInactive {
border-color: #A9DA92;
background-color: #FFFFFF;
}
.gsc-tabHeader.gsc-tabhActive {
background-color: #A9DA92;
}
.gsc-tabsArea {
}
.gsc-webResult.gsc-result {
}
.gsc-webResult.gsc-result:hover {
}
.gs-webResult.gs-result a.gs-title:link,
.gs-webResult.gs-result a.gs-title:link b {
color: #0066CC;
}
.gs-webResult.gs-result a.gs-title:visited,
.gs-webResult.gs-result a.gs-title:visited b {
}
.gs-webResult.gs-result a.gs-title:hover,
.gs-webResult.gs-result a.gs-title:hover b {
}
.gs-webResult.gs-result a.gs-title:active,
.gs-webResult.gs-result a.gs-title:active b {
}
.gsc-cursor-page {
}
a.gsc-trailing-more-results:link {
}
.gs-webResult.gs-result .gs-snippet {
color: #454545;
}
.gs-webResult.gs-result .gs-visibleUrl {
color: #815FA7;
}
.gs-webResult.gs-result .gs-visibleUrl-short {
}
.gs-webResult.gs-result .gs-visibleUrl-short {
display: none;
}
.gs-webResult.gs-result .gs-visibleUrl-long {
display: block;
}
.gsc-cursor-box {
}
.gsc-results .gsc-cursor-page {
}
.gsc-results .gsc-cursor-page.gsc-cursor-current-page {
background-color: #A9DA92;
}
.gs-promotion.gs-result {
background-color: #CBE8B4;
}
.gs-promotion.gs-result a.gs-title:link {
}
.gs-promotion.gs-result a.gs-title:visited {
}
.gs-promotion.gs-result a.gs-title:hover {
}
.gs-promotion.gs-result a.gs-title:active {
}
.gs-promotion.gs-result .gs-snippet {
color: #454545;
}
.gs-promotion.gs-result .gs-visibleUrl,
.gs-promotion.gs-result .gs-visibleUrl-short {
}
</style>

Here is a very simple way to search the forum. Open a Google search and use this in the search box:

site:mynissanleaf.com xxx yyy zzz

where xxx, yyy, and zzz are terms you wish to search. Here is an example where I searched for the terms "220" and "charging" in the forum:

http://www.google.com/search?comple...issanleaf.com+220+charging&btnG=Google+Search

This technique seems to work with any website. I have never tested to see how thorough it is.

baumgrenze

I think there needs to be a new rule:
Post new threads in the right section.

People put new threads in the most random of places, leading to duplicate discussions and threads. Unless you are looking at every new thread, you would not see what you are looking for. Google searching key words only goes so far. For people who are new to the forum and/or don't have time to monitor every new thread (or knowing what keywords to enter), they would have a very hard time finding discussions relevant to what they are looking for. If you are going to have separate sections, people need to use the right one.

Maybe start moving threads into the correct section.

When I bought my Vespa and joined a forum all I got was elitist crap because I was a newb. I figured as much here, but every site is different. If I have something to contribute I will. Otherwise I try to keep to myself because it stops being friendly and starts becoming a know-it-all party and that's frustrating for everyone involved.

Using common sense works well too. It works on other forums so it can work her as well, perhaps.

Look at the recent posts link and if there are three threads on a subject don't start another, it's so easy.

When posting anything about Blink and a search reveals 2500 Blink threads perhaps posting in any existing one would work.

Every thread on this forum is read every hour quite a bit so if you post anything in any post you will likely get a response, even if stuck in an elevator.

Don't start threads on what is on your mind or because you have nothing better to do.

Use common sense- again.

Use the search function- the google search directly below these words: Annoyed with the standard search on this forum? Use Google powered My Nissan Leaf search: USE THAT ONE

Open your owners manual or use the Google, this site is not directory assistance for things you can easily find on your own in two seconds

Don't post about new battery technology articles unless there is an actual product to buy, these are a dime a dozen and are always a few years away

Did I mention use common sense? :lol:

EVDRIVER said:
Don't start threads on what is on your mind or because you have nothing better to do.
Even in the Off Topic area?

FWIW, on Tivocommunity, the Happy Hour - General Chit-Chat area (you need an account there to see it) has grown to be a FAR more active place than everything else TiVo related, combined. Some folks don't even have TiVos anymore but still participate there.

The threads in the Happy Hour area range from threads like "Help me plan my wedding" to a lot of "Is this stealing?" threads to a favorite "What should happen to people who park like this?" to "SOAK: Google security certificates & VPN" (SOAK==Source Of All Knowledge) to "HP Touchpad discontinued - already on sale for $99!" and so on...

cwerdna said:
EVDRIVER said:
Even in the Off Topic area?

FWIW, on Tivocommunity, the Happy Hour - General Chit-Chat area (you need an account there to see it) has grown to be a FAR more active place than everything else TiVo related, combined. Some folks don't even have TiVos anymore but still participate there.

The threads in the Happy Hour area range from threads like "Help me plan my wedding" to a lot of "Is this stealing?" threads to a favorite "What should happen to people who park like this?" to "SOAK: Google security certificates & VPN" (SOAK==Source Of All Knowledge) to "HP Touchpad discontinued - already on sale for $99!" and so on...

I think there are forums for that. This forum has some way off topic junk. Is that not what friends are for, to bore to death with trivia. Off topic used to mean "related" but off topic. What time is it by the way? :lol:

EVDRIVER said:
I think there are forums for that. This forum has some way off topic junk. Is that not what friends are for, to bore to death with trivia. Off topic used to mean "related" but off topic. What time is it by the way? :lol:
Ha... well, it's good to have OT areas here and on other boards where there's a chance that a decent subset of members have the same interests (e.g. technology, gadgets, sci-fi, etc.) Over on the OT area on Priuschat (Fred's House of Pancakes), we've had some discussions on Star Trek, tablets, iPhones/iOS, Siri and so on. Some of the posts do sometimes strike a chord...

Here's are some good ones... :)
http://priuschat.com/forums/freds-house-pancakes/100650-bob-builds-aircraft-carrier.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://priuschat.com/forums/freds-house-pancakes/91152-lyrics-hymn-soviet-union-translated.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (this guy seems to post random semi-funny Soviet era videos)
http://priuschat.com/forums/freds-house-pancakes/98986-ask-siri-anything-7.html#post1430549" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://priuschat.com/forums/freds-house-pancakes/89374-music-video-ill-your-star-trek-girl.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back on topic, search is still partly broken. The complaint I posted at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=135375#p135375" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; still isn't fixed. Sometimes Google searches and limiting to site:mynissanleaf.com doesn't find something and I have to try Bing as well...

Don't you mean back off topic since this topic wasn't about the broken search? :D

Google and Bing are 2 separate companies with different ideas, so of course your results will be different.

klaus said:
Don't you mean back off topic since this topic wasn't about the broken search? :D

Google and Bing are 2 separate companies with different ideas, so of course your results will be different.
Yep. Unfortunately, since neither Bing nor Google have completely indexed MNL, I sometimes have to use both of them since MNL's search is half broken, or possibly just broken for older posts.

As for back "off topic"... almost all the earlier posts in this thread direct people to use search or discuss its usage. If only MNL's search were fully working.

RoCStaNeLla said:
Well,
That would be too much work. Amazingly, people on other forums are able to keep topics relatively limited and easy to follow. It is also easy to ask a question on a related thread here as it will be addressed. Every question, thought, comment or PR news release on a vaporware research project does not need a new thread. In fact we should have a PR release thread because they are a dime a dozen.

Welcome to the forum. I see this is not your first time on the internet. I have been saying what you just said since the beginning of this forum, it seems there are members here though that are just learning what a web browser is or have never posted anything online before. I started a PR thread for new battery tech to file all the junk posts on PR but it seems people believe every piece of PR trivia is worth a thread, most things are not worth posting. The search function here is not the best but the google one is much better however that is really not the heart of the issue.

evnow said:
2. Please search the forum for what you are looking for before starting a new thread.

Use the search link at the top. You can either use the custom google search, which gives much better results or the forum search.

I spent quite a while looking for the "search link at the top". It doesn't appear unless you have registered and logged in. You might want to indicate that in your introductory message.

Back