Bench seats in front

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstack6

Since the LEAF doesn't have a transmission or hump or a manual shifter why can't they make the front seat a Bench Seat like cars used to have?
It could then seat 6.
It would be great for dating or sitting close with your wife /husband /kids/baby.
You could carry more stuff.
It would allow you to slide over from one side to the other.
When it folded down you would have camper space for sleeping.

Maybe some you you could come up with more handy things it would allow?

Maybe Nissan will listen and make it an option?

jstack6 said:
Since the LEAF doesn't have a transmission or hump or a manual shifter why can't they make the front seat a Bench Seat like cars used to have?
It could then seat 6.
Maybe Nissan will listen and make it an option?
It could be done.
But is unlikely.
Not many vehicles manufactured with bench seat anymore.
Market demand has moved in the other direction.
Even in large crossover vehicles.

I think comfort is the main reason. Remember how you used to be able to sink into your parents' car's bench seat and still have some side support? Me neither! They could build a 'cheater' seat like the new Volt has, with space for only a child or child seat in the middle, but I suspect that wouldn't fly in the front with current safety regulations. The best thing you can realistically hope for is a bucket seat setup with a well-designed center console that actually serves as a shelf as well. If you want extra seating for kids, a jump seat in the rear is more likely.

I think people's expectations is the primary reason why cars today generally don't have bench front seats. A lot (perhaps the majority) of big SUV's today are being sold to consumers with bucket front seats and massive center consoles in lieu of bench seats; I can imagine it would be even less popular in a smaller vehicle such as a Leaf. For that matter many minivans are being optioned with "Captains Chairs" second row seating in lieu of a 3 person bench.

jstack6 said:
Since the LEAF doesn't have a transmission or hump or a manual shifter why can't they make the front seat a Bench Seat like cars used to have?. It could then seat 6. ...
I wonder if it has to do with safety requirements of seat belts and head rests. I agree though, I would prefer a bench in the front, but understand my opinion is in the minority. Front bucket seats are deemed more sexy or sports car like.

everyone just wants choices , it could be a popular option if they give it a chance. It seems like it's all bucket seats and big consoles yet I don't have any more room.

I wonder if it is due to safety regulations and requirements for passenger restraint. Mike look silly a shoulder belt in the front middle of the car.

Many reasons:
  • - Seats only 5-1/2, not 6;
    - Nissan would have to relocate some central console gear to left or right side of dash to accommodate middle airbag;
    - There would be a well-known safety problem with center passenger's feet close to gas pedal - some sort of barrier would be needed to avoid interference, regardless of the center theoretically being usable by small children only;
    - a bench seat would add weight to the Leaf due to additional stiffening required to accommodate the inertial weight of a center passenger in an accident;
    - Like everyone said before, the bench seat became a dinosaur and is even missing from a lot of today's pick-up trucks. I would not want to be the head of Nissan Marketing having to explain why the Leaf took a step backward in seat design.

JohnBike said:
Many reasons:
  • - Seats only 5-1/2, not 6;
    - Nissan would have to relocate some central console gear to left or right side of dash to accommodate middle airbag;
  • The airbag regulation should be amended to allow the occasional middle seat driver. People should be allowed to asses risk and take risk if they want to.
    >There would be a well-known safety problem with center passenger's feet close to gas pedal
    Again people should be allowed to take risks if they chose to do so. In my case would be a non issue since would be small child in the seat and wouldn't reach the peddles.

> a bench seat would add weight to the Leaf due to additional stiffening required to accommodate the inertial weight of a center passenger in an accident;
    Yes, added weight. Much less weight then the SUV people with big families are pushed to buy. This is proposed as an option and not something for everyone.

> Like everyone said before, the bench seat became a dinosaur and is even missing from a lot of today's pick-up trucks. I would not want to be the head of Nissan Marketing having to explain why the Leaf took a step backward in seat design.
    I would call it a step forward in flexibility.

At work we use a 7 passenger van but very very rarely have 7 people in it because its not easy finding 3 people small enough that can comfortably fit. Even the thinnest of people are still connected at the hip. So you honestly think we Americans are small enough to want to embrace 3 in the front? Wow, where do you live?

DanCar said:
People should be allowed to asses risk and take risk if they want to.

You do realize you're in the US and that is simply not allowed?

To be fair, our tort system has evolved to the point where a bag of peanuts has to come with a peanut allergy warning on it. Otherwise the farmer who supplied the peanuts, the company who packaged and distributed them, and the retailer who sold them will all be sued by the peanut-allergic person who decides to consume them.

As long as someone can successfully sue someone else for their own poor decisions, we'll never "be allowed to assess our own risk."

DanCar said:
...People should be allowed to asses risk and take risk if they want to.
>There would be a well-known safety problem with center passenger's feet close to gas pedal
Again people should be allowed to take risks if they chose to do so. In my case would be a non issue since would be small child in the seat and wouldn't reach the peddles.

Don't you understand that the safest place for a child is in the back seat?

Air bags ended up requiring weight sensors and turn off options due to injuries and some fatalities to children and smaller individuals.

Put the child in the back seat.

The mostly unloved bench seat is not coming back.
Especially not in small end of midsized car such as the LEAF.

I think it will come on some new Electric. Being able to seat 6 instead of 5 and sitting near each other (wife) would be a nice option. Maybe I'll have to make my own and get rid of all that center console junk.

:idea:

Guess the person sitting in the middle would be my cup holder and hold my coffee for me. LOL :lol:

Back