Park button (safety concern)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goixiz

Rewording as a question. If I am driving along at 35 mph and if I decide to go from D to B mode and accidentally press the P will the car lock up and try to stop?

The park button is too easy to access and for some models the button is right there when switching from drive to brake mode and potential of accidentally pressing the Park button is high if it results to an emergency brake.

I suggest they do a simple software or hardware modification to reduce the ease of getting to the P button.
1. Maybe they can include a requirement to hold the button for a brief moment (2seconds) before P is activated.
2. Maybe have a confirmation sequence. Like pressing it 2 times
3. Maybe P cannot be activated if the wheel is more than x mph

P.s. Maybe it's already in place but I don't want to find out if it's not.

How about having it beep and go into Neutral if the car's moving faster than a crawl? Because that's what it does! You gotta figure if a disaster were possible, it would have already happened sometime in the last 3 years.

That's the great thing about this forum. You can ask, instead of worrying about it.

I suggest you edit your post title to remove the "safety hazard". It is no such thing. :roll: You can switch from "D" or ECO at any speed, and it is not a safety hazard.

Well, just to explore this just a little more: What is the approximate maximum speed that "Park" will take affect, and just how jarring is that braking? And what is the maximum incline that one should trust to Park alone without using the "emergency brake"?

I have inadvertantly hit P just as I was coming to a stop, but still a slight movement forward. The P engage with a CLANK which did not sound good and I really did not like. I now am sure I have stopped before pushing P.

MikeD said:
Well, just to explore this just a little more: What is the approximate maximum speed that "Park" will take affect, and just how jarring is that braking? And what is the maximum incline that one should trust to Park alone without using the "emergency brake"?
I've tried it at 2MPH, it's quite rocking, and continues back and forth for quite awhile.
0° is the maximum slope you should park without using the brake, in any car. More so true with the Leaf, having no compressive engine braking.

The "Park" is a pin, not a brake. It will not be able to stop you at more than a couple MPH. Any faster, and you will cause serious damage.

The park button definitely works and jars the car when depressed at low speed and I asked the question to a Nissan mechanic who has a leaf and he says he has tried it at normal driving speed and the P will not engage (his comment). And I ask what speed will the P work or engages he does not know......

So if someone has done a test or tried it pls post

On the Prius it is pretty much the exact same, the Park button engages between 0mph and 7mph. This is in reverse and forward. At 8mph and above it beeps and puts you in neutral. It is actually the fastest way to engage neutral, just like in the Leaf. Same as if you try to engage reverse while going 50mph. It will beep and go to neutral.

I find this LESS dangerous than a mechanical drive box where it will happily allow you to engage any gear at any speed with fatal consequences to the drivetrain and vehicle stability.

MikeD said:

It's not an "emergency brake", it's a parking brake. You should use it when parking, always. That way it's a habit and no risk of a bad decision. Also it can help protect the gearbox if another car bumps into yours while parked -- the brake can absorb the force instead of having it break the parking pawl or cog.

Nubo: My 2011 Leaf's "Parking/Emergency Brake" is on the back wheels (not sure whether it's the same for 2013 and later). If I get hit hard enough, won't my car's front wheels be pushed forward (or backward) as well, so isn't it is a question of whether or not the front wheels skid?

MikeD said:
Nubo: My 2011 Leaf's "Parking/Emergency Brake" is on the back wheels (not sure whether it's the same for 2013 and later). If I get hit hard enough, won't my car's front wheels be pushed forward (or backward) as well, so isn't it is a question of whether or not the front wheels skid?
If you get hit that hard, your tires skidding is the least of your concerns.

MikeD said:

I think it's more a question of whether or not they spin. :)

I don't recall a post where someone claimed their "Park" position was damaged and no longer keeps their Leaf from moving when parked on a slight/moderate incline. It seems to me the "Emergency/Park Brake" serves a purpose in preventing the back tires from rotating just as the "Park" position prevents the front tires from rotating.

I would expect the tires affected will skid for a time (ABS does not apply) if either is applied when the Leaf is moving, and no damage is done other than "wear and tear" variety.

I have no intention of experimenting trying to find exactly what spped the car goes into park when the button is pushed. I do know this. If you push it at higher speeds, lets say >10mph, it just beeps and stays in d. If you push the power button it just beeps. If you hold the power button for a few seconds, the car completely powers down and keeps rolling.

johnrhansen said:
I have no intention of experimenting trying to find exactly what spped the car goes into park when the button is pushed. I do know this. If you push it at higher speeds, lets say >10mph, it just beeps and stays in d. If you push the power button it just beeps. If you hold the power button for a few seconds, the car completely powers down and keeps rolling.

Good info
Please confirm that it beeps and stay in D and not go into Neutral, when the "P" is pressed above X mph

Power Button (Hold=powers down) raises another question but should know as well. When powered down that method (accidentally) will power steering and brakes looses power as well ?

It's no different than an ICE. The power steering boost will cease but the power brakes have a power reserve that permits a few applications at which point that revert to standard manual brakes.

goixiz said:
Power Button (Hold=powers down) raises another question but should know as well. When powered down that method (accidentally) will power steering and brakes looses power as well ?

goixiz said:
johnrhansen said:

Good info
Please confirm that it beeps and stay in D and not go into Neutral, when the "P" is pressed above X mph

I'll confirm this next time I drive the car, but first, please kids don't try the holding down the power button while at speed. I read in another thread here that spinning the motor with power off can cause wierd things to happen inside the inverter and fry it. Im lucky my car still runs.

I was right. Pushing park at speed just makes the car go ding. It stays in drive, nothing else happens. Ditto with the power button pressed momentarily.

Back