dhanson865
Moderator
Posts: 1495
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:12 am
Leaf Number: 16156
Location: Tennessee

Re: Have B Mode as Deflaut Drive Mode

Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:22 pm

minispeed wrote:
nerys wrote:That all makes sense with a mechanical car. It does not make sense with an electtonic car where they can do exactly what you say and then procide a simply menu option to let others do what they want.



The EPA states that the car must be tested in the default mode when the car is turned on, no menus selected no buttons pressed.


EPA rules apply to Tesla as well and they are allowed to have menu options to control regen (ignore the comment about range).

Image
Blue 2012 Leaf 195/65/15 tires, 15" Rims
Silver 2012 Leaf 16" stock wheels
wiki/index.php?title=Real_World_Battery_Capacity_Loss
(efficiency 3.x KW vs 6.x KW)
please join Truedelta.com and input your repairs.

minispeed
Posts: 681
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:52 am
Delivery Date: 15 Jul 2014
Location: Ancaster, ON

Re: Have B Mode as Deflaut Drive Mode

Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:14 pm

dhanson865 wrote:
minispeed wrote:
nerys wrote:That all makes sense with a mechanical car. It does not make sense with an electtonic car where they can do exactly what you say and then procide a simply menu option to let others do what they want.



The EPA states that the car must be tested in the default mode when the car is turned on, no menus selected no buttons pressed.


EPA rules apply to Tesla as well and they are allowed to have menu options to control regen (ignore the comment about range).

Image



I would hazard a guess (yes just a guess so it could be wrong) that the standard / low is more like the drive / eco in the leaf which can be left to be the default. B mode is different as it maximizes the electronic braking and to do that they may have programed it to operate at different efficency levels that do affect range.

Yes it's an opinion and yes it may be wrong, but all the other people saying that they could have easily made B mode come on by default are also giving an opinion that may be wrong as well.
2015 White SV, after one month 292 GIDS
Best 1 charge drive, 229km (143miles)

nerys
Posts: 696
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:11 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2014
Leaf Number: 020441

Re: Have B Mode as Deflaut Drive Mode

Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:27 pm

Not really. the "fact" that they could have easily made it a default option is a fact not an opinion.

it is quite literally a few lines of computer code. would likely take the programmer all of 30 minutes to add the code line in place.

well about 30 seconds to add the default option code and 29.5 minutes to add the UI infrastructure to make it user selectable.

not trying to be a dick but I do not recognize "agree to disagree" type solutions :-)
2012 SV 4802miles. 1month 2400 miles. 9 weeks 5000 miles. 6 months 13,300 miles. 4/18 15,000 miles.

lorenfb
Posts: 1845
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:53 pm
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635
Location: SoCal

Re: Have B Mode as Deflaut Drive Mode

Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:30 pm

nerys wrote:Not really. the "fact" that they could have easily made it a default option is a fact not an opinion.

it is quite literally a few lines of computer code. would likely take the programmer all of 30 minutes to add the code line in place.

well about 30 seconds to add the default option code and 29.5 minutes to add the UI infrastructure to make it user selectable.

not trying to be a dick but I do not recognize "agree to disagree" type solutions :-)


Or they could have made it a simple dealer recoding option done using the Nissan Consult diagnostic
tool like other OEM vehicle manufactures do for some features, e.g. auto-locking at speeds > 15 MPH.
My Nissan Xterra had auto-locking which I disliked and asked the dealer to disable it which was done
via their diagnostic tool.
Leaf SL MY 9/13: 70K miles, 49 Ahrs, 5.1 miles/kWh (average), Hx=70, SOH=78, L2 charges to 100% > 1000, max battery temp < 95F (35C), min discharge point > 20 Ahrs

NeilBlanchard
Posts: 619
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:02 pm
Delivery Date: 14 Oct 2014
Leaf Number: 306278

Re: Have B Mode as Deflaut Drive Mode

Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:02 am

I am a practiced ecodriver, and I know that coasting is better than always having regen. Regen is fine - when you need to slow down. Regen is much better than friction brakes, obviously.

But when the default is coasting, you learn to accelerate less and then coast and then use some regen to slow to a stop.

minispeed
Posts: 681
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:52 am
Delivery Date: 15 Jul 2014
Location: Ancaster, ON

Re: Have B Mode as Deflaut Drive Mode

Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:46 am

nerys wrote:Not really. the "fact" that they could have easily made it a default option is a fact not an opinion.

it is quite literally a few lines of computer code. would likely take the programmer all of 30 minutes to add the code line in place.

well about 30 seconds to add the default option code and 29.5 minutes to add the UI infrastructure to make it user selectable.

not trying to be a dick but I do not recognize "agree to disagree" type solutions :-)



Ok this will be the last that I will post on this. Since the OP started with the topic of B being default because of perception that it allows you to get more range. If, (as stated by the others in the post who want it, not me since I don't think it will give you better range) B gives a difference of range and that shows up in the EPA tests then it by my understanding of EPA rules it cannot be something that comes on by default when you turn the car on unless they use the B mode in the test to determine the number on the EPA sticker.

Unless you know a Nissan engineer who worked on the car and you want to share his contact or you want to go to the trouble of digging up all the EPA test rules and quoting them it is unfair to say that you know it is a fact that they could program the car like that.

Maybe it would be better to say that they should have designed the mechanicals of the shifter closer to the prius that has a different gate for B and D that the user can select on start up them selves, or a 2 sec hold feature that engages B.


I just kept posting to allow new people who read this to know that B does not give any magical range so don't start using it. Yes some people have learned to carve wood with a chainsaw but don't look at their carvings and think well a chainsaw is the best way to do that.
2015 White SV, after one month 292 GIDS
Best 1 charge drive, 229km (143miles)

nerys
Posts: 696
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:11 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2014
Leaf Number: 020441

Re: Have B Mode as Deflaut Drive Mode

Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:59 am

Ac in a gas car dramatically effect fuel economy

Yet I can on my command have the ac on or off by default when I turn on the car.

Nough said on that.

As for more range. It does give you more range.

More than the battery by default can give? No.

But more than "you" would get otherwise? Absolutely possible. by reducing your losses.

Oddly enough nissan explains it best. Go watch the nissan leaf volcano video.
2012 SV 4802miles. 1month 2400 miles. 9 weeks 5000 miles. 6 months 13,300 miles. 4/18 15,000 miles.

cmwade77
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:04 pm
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2017

Re: Have B Mode as Deflaut Drive Mode

Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:48 pm

DarrenG wrote:
lorenfb wrote:There have been many times where B Mode & driving care (with ECO) have gained extra needed miles to reach a charging station. If regen (B Mode) had no value, then just coast and use the brakes always. Let the brakes always 'burn-up' the kinetic energy.

But coasting may well be better than gaining regen. Regen is great but it isn't a wholly efficient use for all cases. And you still have regen available in non ECO or B-Modes so there is no 'burn-up' of kinetic energy. As I understand them, these modes simply bring regen in earlier and prevent any coasting, is that always a benefit? I don't think it's as clear cut to claim they are always the better option.

A careful driver, using the best hypermiling techniques should be able too extract just as much milage from a Leaf in normal modes. Feathering the throttle to coast where possible, and using regen where unavoidable is the bets option surely?

Apparently you don't drive freeways in L.A., you frequently have to come to a complete stop anyway, so getting the regeneration from B mode is really helpful. I have about a 20 mile commute and there have been times where I actually have had the battery percentage be higher than when I left by using the B mode. Only by a percentage point or two, but still higher and yes I know that isn't always the normal, but it is a good example of why it would be nice to be able to set B mode as the default drive mode.

cmwade77
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:04 pm
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2017

Re: Have B Mode as Deflaut Drive Mode

Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:52 pm

minispeed wrote:
nerys wrote:Not really. the "fact" that they could have easily made it a default option is a fact not an opinion.

it is quite literally a few lines of computer code. would likely take the programmer all of 30 minutes to add the code line in place.

well about 30 seconds to add the default option code and 29.5 minutes to add the UI infrastructure to make it user selectable.

not trying to be a dick but I do not recognize "agree to disagree" type solutions :-)



Ok this will be the last that I will post on this. Since the OP started with the topic of B being default because of perception that it allows you to get more range. If, (as stated by the others in the post who want it, not me since I don't think it will give you better range) B gives a difference of range and that shows up in the EPA tests then it by my understanding of EPA rules it cannot be something that comes on by default when you turn the car on unless they use the B mode in the test to determine the number on the EPA sticker.

Unless you know a Nissan engineer who worked on the car and you want to share his contact or you want to go to the trouble of digging up all the EPA test rules and quoting them it is unfair to say that you know it is a fact that they could program the car like that.

Maybe it would be better to say that they should have designed the mechanicals of the shifter closer to the prius that has a different gate for B and D that the user can select on start up them selves, or a 2 sec hold feature that engages B.


I just kept posting to allow new people who read this to know that B does not give any magical range so don't start using it. Yes some people have learned to carve wood with a chainsaw but don't look at their carvings and think well a chainsaw is the best way to do that.

As I stated in my last post, it really will depend on where you live, for me, B mode definitely can increase my range, I have gotten from my work to home with a higher percentage and more miles in range than when I left work for the day by using the B mode in our insane stop and go traffic.

And from a technical standpoint, they can program it to allow B mode as the default, based on your post, there may be legal reasons they can't, but from a technical standpoint, it is a computer, so it is simple to program it to do what you want.

cmwade77
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:04 pm
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2017

Re: Have B Mode as Deflaut Drive Mode

Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:54 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:I am a practiced ecodriver, and I know that coasting is better than always having regen. Regen is fine - when you need to slow down. Regen is much better than friction brakes, obviously.

But when the default is coasting, you learn to accelerate less and then coast and then use some regen to slow to a stop.

Yes, if you are in areas where this works, but if you live in areas with stop and go traffic, you have to come to a stop virtually every time you slow down anyway, so coasting does no good in that circumstance, as you still would not have momentum to get going again.

Return to “Enhancement / Change Requests”