Enhanced battery warmer

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DNAinaGoodWay

The standard cold weather package includes the battery warmers that come on at -4F and shut off at 14F.

Why not include the ability to always warm the battery in cold weather when it's plugged in?

To say, 50-60F? The thermal mass will retain that for a while, and we won't suffer as much range loss in the cold.

Would be nice... :)

The consult tool lets one test the battery heater. If I had access to one for a day I betcha we could get the can commands to turn it on manually.

The reason Nissan doesn't do this is probably for battery life since we've seen that the battery ages much more slowly in colder weather. Any temperature increase would have some effect on long term capacity. The heater is probably not that powerful anyway to begin with.

I want to enable mine, mostly for better regen! ;)

This would be a really smart firmware upgrade from Nissan. Even if they aimed for a 50 degree (F) target I am sure the system would not be able to reach it when the ambient temp is single digits.

Back