Steering Wheel Controls...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caross

I love the idea of having controls on the steering wheel. It allows you to keep your hands on the wheel and get done what needs getting done.

BUT, I've got to say, the Nissan implementation of this is, by far, the most convoluted and difficult of all cars I have driven.

Let me explain... this what what my wheel looks like:
hDwlDj5.png

There are just too many single use buttons.

TySmcOQ.png

Controls for:
  • a : On map range display
  • b, c : Source & Toggle Up/Down
  • d : Phone
  • e, f : Volume Up/Down
  • g, h : Voice Activation / Return
  • i : Cancel
  • j : Cruise Set-Accelerate / Cruise Decelerate
  • k : Cruise Control
  • l : Horn

Cluttered.

I'm currently photoshopping a bit to make it less cluttered.

In short, my goal would be to eliminate single-use buttons, and make better use of the space.

In the mean time, does anyone else find this cluttered as well?

I'm fine with all the controls. I just down like them changing orientation while I drive. Citroen has been keeping the center of their steering column from rotating for decades on some models. And I honestly don't see what that couldn't be more common on cars today, where the wheels are sometimes just cluttered with controls!

The format for steering wheel controls follows the standard layout for all Nissan cars over many years. Unless there is a very good reason to change, Nissan designers will not likely make a special layout for the Leaf only.

The layout works for me, but one suggestion I would like to make for Nissan to consider:
2012-ferrari-458-spider-steering-wheel-mounted-manettino-dial-photo-517189-s-1280x782.jpg

Personally I'm fine with the number of controls, I'd even be happy with a few more, a dedicated mute button would be nice. My biggest problem with them is the height of the SOURCE toggle switch. It's really annoying when you accidentally bump it in the middle of listen to something (especially long audiobook mp3s) when you're just trying to turn the wheel. Also, it would be great if it was context aware, say if I have the stereo playing mp3s in random order, it would be nice to have the toggle pick another song randomly instead of just the next song in alphabetical order.

My biggest problem with them is the height of the SOURCE toggle switch. It's really annoying when you accidentally bump it in the middle of listen to something (especially long audiobook mp3s) when you're just trying to turn the wheel.

On the other hand, almost all the control buttons are too small to operate with gloves. This is especially true of the steering wheel buttons. It would make sense to have buttons that were low, but also larger in surface area. I absolutely can't operate the volume control on the wheel in Winter, Fall or Spring.

My 2001 Dodge truck has a nice setup for the steering wheel controls: the radio controls are on the FRONT of the wheel. On the RH side are the volume up/down buttons, the LH side has the station up/down selector buttons. They're easy to operate with your fingertips, and it unclutters the rear of the wheel. On my truck, the rear of the wheel, facing towards the driver, has only the cruise control buttons.

I think another button should be added on the right side to allow driver to toggle the climate control on/off. That is done often in cold temperatures and it is a bit unsafe to have to keep reaching over to center console to do this while driving.

I can't see the darn controls at night----have to feel around for them while driving. I'd surely like to see the lighting a little brighter. My Prius is MUCH better.

verobel said:
I think another button should be added on the right side to allow driver to toggle the climate control on/off. That is done often in cold temperatures and it is a bit unsafe to have to keep reaching over to center console to do this while driving.

Excellent idea. Failing that, at least make the On/Off button large!

does anybody use button "a"? What a waste of space. Wish we could customize the view when you hit the button. Showing the entire state is useless.

palmermd said:
does anybody use button "a"? What a waste of space. Wish we could customize the view when you hit the button. Showing the entire state is useless.
Yeah, button A is a useless marketing gimmick. Nobody drives in a straight line to their destination and the GOM is crappy. Who knows what the inner circle represents? Is it is just some % of the larger circle?

It may as well be removed or serve a more useful purpose (e.g. Menu > Info > Where Am I?) I stumbled across that function being quite useful and probably one of the best (probably not too well known) features of the nav system, which overall isn't very good.

My thoughts: First, make them brighter. Then, shorten the source button because I, too, hit it when I turn. Third, the volume buttons should be physically located up and down, so that when your finger goes up, the volume goes up. Finally, all of these buttons should be software controlled through the main screen, so they can be reprogrammed or disabled by the owner. Has anyone hacked this car yet?

Back