Performance Tires and Stopping Distance

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdarren

I just received my Leaf today and I love it. One thing I noticed in test drives and in performance reviews is that the stopping distance is a bit poor. On clean, dry, hot pavement the car goes instantly to ABS limit when standing on the brakes - which means it has capability left in the braking system, but the LRR tires lack the grip to make use of it. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of the effect of high performance tires on the Leaf stopping performance? I found a Car and Driver article about the boost to lateral G performance with better tires, but in Florida I am more interested in being able to stop when someone does something stupid in front of me. Other than a loss of range, increased road noise, and reduced tread life are there any other issues associated with putting high performance rubber on a Leaf?

Regards
cdarren
2013 Leaf SL - Silver

TomT said:
Mine improved appreciably when I changed to the MXV4s...

Did you change rims as well or just use the stock ones? I'm considering a tire upgrade for my 2013 Leaf and I'm wondering if the rims need to go too.

When my Ecopias are used up, I'd like to replace them with a set of summer performance tires (I have Blizzaks already for winter). I've been keeping my eyes open for stories of people trying out non-all-season tires, but other than that Car & Driver article, I haven't seen anything. The Yokohama S.Drive from the article sounds intriguing, being fairly inexpensive.

Back