Suggestion to replace/supplement Carwings

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red

I'm not impressed with the accuracy of Carwings, or the need to "Accept" before driving if you want Carwings to record any data. Thinking about it, I feel there is a better way.

I would like the Leaf itself to populate an onboard website with similar data recordings as Carwings and then make that website available over WiFi (or Bluetooth) for use by the owner. If the owner chooses to let the Leaf send its information to Carwings by pressing "Agree" then that should happen, but it would not be required.

A second benefit would be that the Leaf could exchange data with a service tech without having to have wires connected. Your dealership would know your problem before you even got the window down to talk to the service writer!

This is not rocket science, but I do understand that it is much too late to change the Leaf today. Perhaps a third party wireless dongle in the OBD port? (hint)

Red said:
I'm not impressed with the accuracy of Carwings...

Exactly what CW data is not accurate?

If CW is working correctly, it will precisely report all information your LEAF collects from the road and from your LEAF's BMS.

CW does not know know your exact tire circumfrence, so you probably will have to correct for odometer error.

And if your BMS is reporting inaccurate kWh use (as I suspect mine is) CW can only give you precisely the same erroneous kWh use reports your dash or Nav screen does.

Read this thread to see exactly what CW can do for you:

Use CW report from range test to determine battery capacity

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9064" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Had I not had access to accurate CW data for the last 16 months, and had instead relied on a "range chart", I would never have been able to make numerous long trips with significant ascent and descent in varying temperatures without suffering from severe "range anxiety".

And had I relied on an inaccurate gid meter and not had the multiple range test results reported by CW, I might also have suffered the same "gid count shrinkage anxiety" last Summer, that actually caused some LEAFers in warmer climates similar to mine to dispose of their LEAFs.

I used Carwings more then the wife does, she is now the current full time driver of the car..the Remote app for her iPhone is about the only thing she does to use the climate control. I love the iMeiv's remote allowing the key fob to remotely charge and turn on an adustable climate control....this is something I wish we had as an option or replacement for Carwings. Probabbly a range dependent feature vs internet access... but after the 36month Carwings subscription is up...who is going to pay for it.... Not this guy!
Ill just have to go out and pre-program the dash unit CC for the week. No worries from me.

mazdaboi said:
I...but after the 36month Carwings subscription is up...who is going to pay for it.... Not this guy!
Ill just have to go out and pre-program the dash unit CC for the week. No worries from me.
+1 As I have said before, unless carwings is almost free, I am done and on to workarounds...

Didn't want to start a new thread so am using this one which is as close to what I wanted as I could find...
Carwings works (sort of), but is desperately in need of improvement! Here are the issues:
1. TOO SLOW - all my other iPhone apps update instantly. Why does it take 2-3 MINUTES for a Carwings update? For example , i have a 3M home thermostat with which i can set my house climate control. It is nearly instantaneous every time. There is no technical reason that Carwings could not perform similarly. It can only be sloppy inefficient programming. I have to use my CC every day and I must add 5 minutes to my morning schedule just to pre-warmup my Leaf.
2. UNRELIABLE - it's always a bad gamble whether it'll work at all. I observe it works properly about 6 days a week. One out of seven failure rate is not acceptable reliability in anyone's book.
3. POOR ACCESSABILITY TO MY OWN DATA - I can't seem to find any historical or maintenance data on the app or the website. I'm not a novice - it should be easy to find any data I want wih one click from within my account. For example, maintenance schedule, recalls, current odo reading, battery degradation, etc, etc.
Nissan: I DON'T WANT SOMETHING FOR NOTHING! I AM WILLING TO PAY MORE FOR AN APP THAT RESOLVES THE ABOVE ISSUES! PLEASE RESPOND OR RISK LOSING ME AS A CUSTOMER IN 2015!

I am also dismayed at the time it takes to talk to the car. Seems faster when my Galaxy Nexus Android Phone is on home WiFi than over cellular. I am guessing that the program must use text messaging to pass the messages since that form of comm is often delayed somewhat. I would guess that if they added a method for connecting the car to the home WiFi that most delay would be gone.

To the person with the home thermostat, that is why it is instant... it is contained in your home's local network. The current carwings method must be loaded with network hops... from our homes to the cell net, then from the local cell net to the internet, then internet to CarWings servers, and then back to the car. The more hops the slower it is.
I notice that the text messages arrive before the app detects the change and updates.

I would love to be able to add the car onto my cellular calling plan, use the car's cell net to extend wi fi to our phones while driving. Receive updates to the car systems via this connection rather than visiting the dealers.

Also... does anyone know a way to get audio podcasts to download and play... I like the RSS voice reader... (even its mistakes are humorous) and I keep up with favorite websites and news headlines via this ... but to get audio or even (when parked) video would be awesome.

Another suggestion would be HD Radio rather than or in addition to the XM sat. It is free and offers additional channels of FM and really clear audio when it can. I never pay for XM as it drops out too often under overpasses and in cities. Plus I hate companies that first offer me a "deal" at 15 to 20 bucks a month... then when I decline drop it to 5. Offer me the best deal up front or go straight to hell, do not pass go, do not collect any idiot tax from me.

jsongster said:
Another suggestion would be HD Radio rather than or in addition to the XM sat. It is free and offers additional channels of FM and really clear audio when it can. I never pay for XM as it drops out too often under overpasses and in cities. Plus I hate companies that first offer me a "deal" at 15 to 20 bucks a month... then when I decline drop it to 5. Offer me the best deal up front or go straight to hell, do not pass go, do not collect any idiot tax from me.

HD Radio is the clear choice for a car primarily used in cities where XM Satellite coverage is poor. My RAV4 EV had HD Radio along with XM, but I only use the HD Radio.

This should be possible. And most of the pieces are already available.

Get a bluetooth ODBII adapter and an android phone or tablet (or even a headless device, if such a thing exists).

The android device can collect data from the busses, connect to known wifi networks when in range, and make a website available to serve the data to clients on those networks.

As for the software, Leaf Spy could be used as the basis for the data collection side of things.

From that point, it's a simple matter of programming™. I'd like to see something like this too.

jsongster said:
To the person with the home thermostat, that is why it is instant... it is contained in your home's local netw ork. The current carwings method must be loaded with network hops... from our homes to the cell net, then from the local cell net to the internet, then internet to CarWings servers, and then back to the car. The more hops the slower it is.
I notice that the text messages arrive before the app detects the change and updates.

Hi, the "Rad Stat" system is indeed connected to my LAN, however it works the same wherever I go, which implies that my LAN data is uploaded to a remote server and retransmitted over 4G to my phone. And that's my point: there's no technical reason Nissan couldn't duplicate that system - at least when my Leaf is at home here, or via 4G everywhere else (after all, it uses my 4G to get Pandora).
Nope, any way you look at it, it's simply a matter of not wanting to invest in the necessary hardware and software to speed it up. If only those batteries weren't so darn expensive... ;)

You may be right about CarWings... I definitely see bigger delays in talking to the system occasionally. Sometimes the app works fine once... then loses my net connection completely. I put my phone in airport mode (turning all wireless comm off) and then back on and it starts working again. They definitely have some bugs to work on. Would be cool if they gave the other cars in Nissan line ability to turn on climate control using similar app... more vehicles would likely mean more support for app.

Back